I have a student account does that mean I can use it???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 06:59 PM
    My understanding is that the Bold won't work with talkspot, it's a hardware issue not a rogers issue. The newer 8900 has talkspot "UMA" ability, and if you are signed into wifi, the display will change from "Edge" to "UMA", to indicate the calls are going over wifi rather than rogers wireless network. However if you don't pay for the monthly rogers talkspot plan you will be using minutes as part of your normal plan.
    03-23-09 08:00 PM
    That's what I thought too!
    03-23-09 11:06 PM
    From what I understand if you upgrade your bold to latest software (not rogers relased yet) then it is suppose to work. But that is what one of my co-workers told me I haven't tried or confirmed it yet

03-24-09 06:30 PM
    If your not worried about data then just get like a $15 smartphone value pack, it comes with your voicemail and call display, neither of those packages comes with the call display and voicemail. The only other way to get it all in one is to get the $35 data value pack with comes with data, unlimited txt, call display, voicemail etc.
    Hey,
    went and talked to some Rogers sales people today and they said basically to get the phone for the listed price of $225 I need to also pay for the $35 package. So altogether out the door I was looking at almost $70. Is there any other options? Or is it a case of just bite the bullet?
    Thanks for the help too.
    03-24-09 08:14 PM
    As long as you have a combined voice and data (msf) of $45 you can get the phone at the promo pricing. The person you were talking to is just trying to upsell you. It might be easier if you call customer service and get the phone through them. They might even give you a deal on the handset or bill credits.

03-24-09 09:23 PM
    As long as you have a combined voice and data (msf) of $45 you can get the phone at the promo pricing. The person you were talking to is just trying to upsell you. It might be easier if you call customer service and get the phone through them. They might even give you a deal on the handset or bill credits.

This is the plan I was thinking of:
    17.50 voice plan + $25 for Blackberry Value pack.

Should come to $50 + tax.

The lady was pretty rude but tomorrows another day. Going to try and get it sorted out, Ill keep you updated.
    She also said I can only get the $17.50 voice if Im a member of CAA?
    Also whats MSF?
    Last edited by razzel; 03-24-09 at 10:24 PM.
    03-24-09 10:20 PM
    Msf means monthly service fee. You can get the 17.50 plan with air miles too and you can sign up for one for free online. That plan you want should be fine for you to get the current promo pricing.

03-24-09 10:31 PM
    you can use the bold for talkspot, any device with rogers that has wifi can have talkspot as long as its not on a business account or business plan. We have a customer who used the 8900 for talkspot also.
    My understanding is that the Bold won't work with talkspot, it's a hardware issue not a rogers issue. The newer 8900 has talkspot "UMA" ability, and if you are signed into wifi, the display will change from "Edge" to "UMA", to indicate the calls are going over wifi rather than rogers wireless network. However if you don't pay for the monthly rogers talkspot plan you will be using minutes as part of your normal plan.
    Yes, any device that has wifi would be physically capable of talkspot, BUT it requires UMA software, which has NOT been released for the bold. It is NOT a hardware issue, the device is fully capable, but rim has not released said capability's because the carriers don't want it. That said, even the latest beta releases DO NOT have UMA capability's for the bold. The 8900 however, IS a talkspot device, and IS preloaded with UMA software.
    03-24-09 10:47 PM
    When I called to get the $17.50 plan the gentleman I spoke to said it was for a very select few groups of people... then listed off: BCAA, Air Miles, PetroCanada Points member, Esso card holder, etc etc. I'm pretty sure if I let him go on long enough he would have asked if I had a daughter in girl guides but i stopped him by asking if Canada Post workers got it and he said yes. (I couldn't find my air miles or petro points card #s).

If you're a member of any large national company you should be fine.
    03-24-09 11:22 PM
    Msf means monthly service fee. You can get the 17.50 plan with air miles too and you can sign up for one for free online. That plan you want should be fine for you to get the current promo pricing.

I have Air Miles so thats perfect. Thanks again. Should be an interesting day tomorrow, I wish you lived in Ontario it would make it a lot easier.
    03-24-09 11:35 PM
    When I called to get the $17.50 plan the gentleman I spoke to said it was for a very select few groups of people... then listed off: BCAA, Air Miles, PetroCanada Points member, Esso card holder, etc etc. I'm pretty sure if I let him go on long enough he would have asked if I had a daughter in girl guides but i stopped him by asking if Canada Post workers got it and he said yes. (I couldn't find my air miles or petro points card #s).

If you're a member of any large national company you should be fine.
    Right on. What does the 17.50 include anyway? Would there be any overlapping services like text messaging with the $25 pack like text messaging? If so do they offer you something different or is that just how it goes?
    03-24-09 11:38 PM
    The last couple of posts had a lot of air miles in them. If I get air miles, am I eligible for a discount from Rogers? I currently don't own any air miles card.

03-25-09 12:16 AM
    The last couple of posts had a lot of air miles in them. If I get air miles, am I eligible for a discount from Rogers? I currently don't own any air miles card.

You are eligible for the $17.50 plan, which is also called the Employee Purchase Plan...its not normally advertised but is a great cheap plan if you don't do a lot of calling. It includes the following:

200 weekday minutes
    free evenings and weekends at 6pm (instead of the normal 9pm)

thats about it...

For the other post.....If you have a value pack it won't interfere, there will be an MSD (corporate code) put on your account so if you ever want to change your plan back to a normal plan the code will have to be removed first but its not a big deal. This package only replaces any current voice plan you have, your wireless essentials won't be effected unless you have the early call option on their then it will be removed.
    03-25-09 02:17 AM
    I have Air Miles so thats perfect. Thanks again. Should be an interesting day tomorrow, I wish you lived in Ontario it would make it a lot easier.
    I used to live in Ontario, hehe, just moved out to BC last fall...I work for a company that is also in Ontario, they are called Cellcom Wireless, and they have really good employees for the most part, we are one of the top Authorized Dealers for customer service so you can always go into one of them, sometimes you get a bad apple but it all depends. Customer service should be able to help you out tho.

Cheers and good luck.
    03-25-09 02:19 AM
    If I switch my plan over to the cheaper EPP (currently on the MY5+5 student plan for $25) will I have to extend my contract out longer since I'll be paying less money?
    03-25-09 01:55 PM
    If I switch my plan over to the cheaper EPP (currently on the MY5+5 student plan for $25) will I have to extend my contract out longer since I'll be paying less money?
    I was told yesterday if you want to switch plans it is fine. However if you have a promotional deal you cannot. No clue why.
    03-25-09 02:29 PM
    Just called in, they are looking to see if I can get the deal on the Blackberry with the $25 value pack. Now I just have to wait for a call back, fingers crossed.
    03-25-09 02:47 PM
    I was told yesterday if you want to switch plans it is fine. However if you have a promotional deal you cannot. No clue why.
    thanks for the help!
    03-25-09 04:19 PM
    it depends, some people have to re-commit, others did not, its really a matter of how you word your request, but you should be able to keep your current commitment if you ask them.

Good luck razzel
    03-25-09 04:42 PM
    So, I called Rogers 3 different times and got 3 different answers. The first person I spoke to said I could do the $25 value pack but not the 17.50 plan. Then I argued that it still exists and he argued that its called a promotion for a reason. So I called back and the next person said he can give me the 17.50 but I have to get the $35 value pack. So I called back again and the third person said I could get the 17.50 promotion and the $25 value pack, so now Im all set.

Couple quick questions though,
    Can I port my number from my other cell phone over the phone?
    My package always says unlimited instant messenger but do I need a data plan to access that?
    03-25-09 06:32 PM
    You can port your number if you want. It will just cancel your account attached to that number. You don't need a data plan to access the instant messaging. Glad you got your package

03-25-09 07:00 PM
    You can port your number if you want. It will just cancel your account attached to that number. You don't need a data plan to access the instant messaging. Glad you got your package

Can I wait to get my BB before I port the number? They said it could be a week before it comes in so I dont want to cancel it unless I have to.

Thanks a lot man, I owe you on this one. I probably wouldnt have go one otherwise. Its greatly appreciated.
    03-25-09 07:14 PM
    yeah you can wait to port over, to do the port after you have the blackberry just go into a rogers store and ask them to port your number over. its called a telephone number change but there is an option for the rep to click on to port your number over. Make sure you bring your current account number for that number or the old phone itself. (i recommend the account number because it makes it easier to find and get ported faster). Once the port is complete the old phone will be rendered useless and you will get a txt from rogers saying that the port has been complete. Then all you have to do is power cycle your phone and your number will be good to go on your new phone. Ports can take up to 2 hours in the system with no complications, and sometimes sooner. If the number hasn't been ported after a day go to the store and check with the rep, perhaps suggesting they call their D.I.G (dig) also known as the distribution information group. They are the sales reps dealer support and they can put the port through for them.

One quick side note, don't set up your voice mail until the number has been ported or else you will have to set it up again once the port is done.

Enjoy your blackberry and no problem!
    03-26-09 10:32 AM
    Thanks for all the info. Sometimes it just seems easier to ask people who know what there talking about on the message board then running around with the CSR on the phone.
    I'll try not to ask many more questions.
    03-26-09 11:26 AM
951 ... 1314151617 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD