I tried to do a search and I'm just lost, I know you guys will be able to give me the quick yes or no here...

If I unlock my friends Pearl 8220 on Rogers can I use it on Telus? I'm just confused on the HSPA vs GSM thing.

Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by Rock077; 11-26-09 at 06:33 PM.
    11-26-09 06:26 PM
    GSM is the type of technology.
    HSPA is the "version", if you will, of the GSM technology.

Think of it this way.

GSM is to HSPA
    like how
    CDMA is to EVDO
    like how
    Blackberry is to Pearl

That being said, no, the pearl flip cannot go onto Telus because Telus only has the HSPA network available. Pearl Flip is not HSPA compatible.
    11-26-09 06:36 PM
    it might work, get the IMEI number off of the phone and fire it in to the network compatibility thing on the telus website.
    11-26-09 07:39 PM
    There's no chance it will work. The Pearl flip from Rogers only works on EDGE (GSM). Telus doesn't doesn't offer GSM. To top it all off, a telus client who can't pick up HSPA can't even fall back to their lousy CDMA network nevermind GSM.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

11-27-09 05:34 PM
    There's no chance it will work. The Pearl flip from Rogers only works on EDGE (GSM). Telus doesn't doesn't offer GSM. To top it all off, a telus client who can't pick up HSPA can't even fall back to their lousy CDMA network nevermind GSM.

Telus does offer GSM. It's called HSPA.
    11-27-09 10:42 PM
    edge is a 2g network is it not? pearls are not compatible with 3g? then it won't work...
    11-28-09 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD