I am planning to get a BlackBerry 8320, and I am tempted to get Roger's new "BlackBerry Messaging Plan with Unlimited Incoming Minutes". The plan offers unlimited personal email and unlimited incoming minutes, but it requires a three-year commitment.

I was also thinking about buying the device outright, either from Rogers or from another company (unlocked), and then getting a monthly plan from Rogers.

Any thoughts?
    11-20-08 11:17 AM
    For us to help you out... what is:
    your budget per month on a bill
    primary use of the device
    call history like (local, long distance, etc)
    do you text a lot?

The more information about how you use your phone will help us offer up some suggestions for you.
    Also you're listed as being on Bell Canada. Are you giong to use two phones or switching over to Rogers completely?
    -Rik
    11-20-08 11:56 AM
    I'm planning to switch to a GSM carrier, and for the time being my only option is Rogers. I am currently paying between $80-90/month at Bell, but I have to restrict my email in order to keep my bill down and I would prefer not to do that.

I will be using the device for email, light phone usage (mostly local and incoming), and as a PDA. I don't plan to send text messages or surf the internet with the device.
    11-20-08 01:58 PM
    The Rogers plan may be the best option for you then.
    11-20-08 06:41 PM
    I've decided to buy an unlocked 8320 and then get a monthly plan with Rogers. That would allow me to switch to another carrier when new GSM carriers come along. The Messaging Plan sounds good in theory, but I've heard horror stories about Rogers plan and I'm afraid to get locked into one.
    11-21-08 10:37 AM
    The problem with monthly plans from Rogers is that you don't get any cool features like unlimited incoming minutes or My5- those all require 3 year commitments...

Also, if I were you I'd buy your 8320 from Colorware so you A) get a customized device and B) get a warrenty with it.
    11-21-08 12:32 PM
    I've decided to buy an unlocked 8320 and then get a monthly plan with Rogers. That would allow me to switch to another carrier when new GSM carriers come along. The Messaging Plan sounds good in theory, but I've heard horror stories about Rogers plan and I'm afraid to get locked into one.
    i honestly think that rogers would be one of the best carriers, which isn't saying much but still... you could always get the rogers 500mb plan, if your using emails only then you get A LOT of emails, i was told 22,000 txt-only emails, this also gives you the option to go online if need be.

if your locking in to a plan just be sure your not going anywhere for a while. thats really the only BIG problem, if you leave and still on a plan you'd be charged for the last of the months, but i believe all carriers do that.
    11-22-08 02:06 PM
    i honestly think that rogers would be one of the best carriers, which isn't saying much but still... you could always get the rogers 500mb plan, if your using emails only then you get A LOT of emails, i was told 22,000 txt-only emails, this also gives you the option to go online if need be.

if your locking in to a plan just be sure your not going anywhere for a while. thats really the only BIG problem, if you leave and still on a plan you'd be charged for the last of the months, but i believe all carriers do that.
    The 500mb plan is more than enough to do everything on the device, not just email. I'm on the 6gb plan and have yet to go over a gig but I'm tethering like a mad woman!
    11-22-08 05:37 PM
    I'm a bit unsure what you mean by horror stories. All carriers offer discounted pricing on devices and plans, often with provisions stating you have to be locked into a contract for 2 or 3 years. Yes, there are stories where there are mistakes in billing (this goes for all carriers). Most of the horror stories come from people who don't fully understand the terms of what they can or can't do (like cancel early or try and circumvent terms of their contracts).

Realistically, I don't forsee new GSM carriers for a while. There was talk before that maybe Telus or Bell might cash in on GSM for the 2010 Olympics, but that's still a few years away. By then, RIM will have already introduced newer devices. Unless you're also planning to travel to different countries with the phone, I'd personally just take the hit and buying a susidized device through Rogers and locking in for 3 years. It sounds like money is the biggest concern for you, and since you're moving from Bell, you could use that as a bargaining chip for a deal ("convince me to move to Rogers", etc.).
    11-22-08 06:33 PM
    I agree with the above poster. There's rumours of Tmobile coming to Canada but those were rumblings back in May and nothing since (2009 is almost here!)...

I had the same dilema as you...I was out of contract, needed a phone, had been with Rogers but wasn't sure I wanted to chain myself to them for 3 years. In the end they've been so awesome to me that even if Tmobile came to Canada they'd have to buy out my contract for me to move. Keep in mind this is a support forum so most people come on here to ask for help when things go wrong. If you want to read some praise about Rogers search through this forum- I know for a fact I've posted rave reviews whenever they've come through for me.
    11-22-08 08:29 PM
    Telus is in the very early stages of switching their network to thenew 4G network. It won't be complete till 2010 though so if you're looking for GSM it would probably be best to do a 2 or 3 yr term on rogers now and then when your contract is up there will be other options!

i was a former rogers client, i didn't have any billing issues but the service was horrible where i live. they lacked the towers and i couldn't use my phone in many places so i switched when my term was up to telus. if you know that rogers has good coverage in your area then i can't see rogers being an worse than any other carrier in terms of billing/customer service etc
    11-22-08 09:42 PM
    I'm a bit unsure what you mean by horror stories. All carriers offer discounted pricing on devices and plans, often with provisions stating you have to be locked into a contract for 2 or 3 years. Yes, there are stories where there are mistakes in billing (this goes for all carriers). Most of the horror stories come from people who don't fully understand the terms of what they can or can't do (like cancel early or try and circumvent terms of their contracts).

Realistically, I don't forsee new GSM carriers for a while. There was talk before that maybe Telus or Bell might cash in on GSM for the 2010 Olympics, but that's still a few years away. By then, RIM will have already introduced newer devices. Unless you're also planning to travel to different countries with the phone, I'd personally just take the hit and buying a susidized device through Rogers and locking in for 3 years. It sounds like money is the biggest concern for you, and since you're moving from Bell, you could use that as a bargaining chip for a deal ("convince me to move to Rogers", etc.).
    Isn't it the 2012 Olympics?

Nevermind, my bad... 2012 is summer games again
    11-29-08 12:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD