On my Bold 9700, in the basement of my office tower, I saw this rather surprising field in my Service Status screen (see screenshot).

As I'm with Bell Mobility, I'm wondering how this happened. Do I roam to Rogers when I'm outside Bell's coverage? Is this just a bug?

Or is it simply that I do switch over to Rogers when outside Bell's coverage, but since I don't have an activated SIM card on their network, I'm allowed only emergency outgoing calls (as one usually can with an unactivated handset)?
    01-19-10 12:03 PM
    Herein, is the problem with Bells HSDPA network....they have NO agreements with Rogers to roam on their network. You wander outside of Bells HSDPA network coverage you have NO fallback.

You got the indicator that yes, Rogers was available to connect to however, since they have no agreements...you were declined.

No bugs, no if's, ands or buts...you can use Bell, that's it. If no Bell network, nothing.
    01-19-10 12:25 PM
    Cheaky! Thanks for the info.
    01-19-10 01:00 PM
    On my Bold 9700, in the basement of my office tower, I saw this rather surprising field in my Service Status screen (see screenshot).

As I'm with Bell Mobility, I'm wondering how this happened. Do I roam to Rogers when I'm outside Bell's coverage? Is this just a bug?

Or is it simply that I do switch over to Rogers when outside Bell's coverage, but since I don't have an activated SIM card on their network, I'm allowed only emergency outgoing calls (as one usually can with an unactivated handset)?
    This is the status screen when I sit in my regular seats at Scotiabank Place in Ottawa. Sigh. Bell = SOS and Rogers = SOL.

/ES
    01-19-10 04:57 PM
    Ha! Yes, I saw that thread...
    01-19-10 04:59 PM
    Your phone did connect to Rogers but you can only call one number and thats 911 :P
    01-19-10 10:33 PM
    Exactly what I assumed.
    01-19-10 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD