I just got the new Bold 9700 on the new network of course. I live in Oshawa, Ontario and I am going for spring break in Montreal, Quebec. Is that considered roaming and should I be careful not to use my bb very much or leave it off unless I need it etc? Maybe turn my Telus connection off and just rely on possible wifi connections?

Can anyone explain roaming among provinces to me? I checked the Telus website and it only has options to view international roaming.

I have a long distance plan too, so will that play any part?
    01-19-10 12:04 PM
    When you'll be in Montreal, as long as you are calling people from Montreal you are OK. If you are calling people in your home place its gonna be a long distance. You shouldn't be scare to use you BB data plan and Internet cuz are staying in Canada.
    01-19-10 12:18 PM
    You are free to use your BB data across Canada. As fogscreen said, if you call locally, there's no problem. Here's a rundown:

You call someone in Montreal - LOCAL CALL
    Someone in Montreal calls you - LONG DISTANCE (for them and for you)
    You call someone back home - LONG DISTANCE
    Someone from home calls you - LONG DISTANCE (local for them, long distance for you)

Your LD plan will definitely come in handy.

Enjoy Montreal!!
    01-19-10 12:59 PM
    THanks so much guys! So my bbm/fb/gps/weather app and texting is as per my normal plan?
    01-19-10 02:15 PM
    THanks so much guys! So my bbm/fb/gps/weather app and texting is as per my normal plan?
    Yes, you can use all of the data features of your phone in Quebec and Ontario at no extra charge, as you are not "roaming" at all. Roaming means that you have gone somewhere that Telus has no service but you're still using your phone with another carrier.

For example, if you take your BB from Ontario to Quebec, all your data use is covered by Telus in both Provinces. But if you go to the US, you're roaming onto AT&T (if you have a HSPA phone like the Bold 9700), so you will be charged for all your data use, SMS, and phone calls.
    01-19-10 02:29 PM
    I beleive Telus doen not charge roaming for text only from the US
    01-26-10 05:57 PM
    I beleive Telus doen not charge roaming for text only from the US
    If you have a CDMA device, texting in the US is free. If you have an HSPA device (like the Bold 9700), you pay 60 cents per text sent and received while in the US.
    01-26-10 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD