Both from the outage Thursday and the current outage, RIM carefully picked its words, saying how "some users" may experience "delays in sending and receiving messages". They also downplayed last Thursday's outage, saying it was a few hours.

As we all know, this affects way more than "some" and it's not just "delays", it's a complete crippling of their service and the reason why we got Blackberries.

As customers (and avid users, since we're on here), doesn't this upset you? Wouldn't it make you feel better if their wording was more direct, like "Service for many of our customers across multiple carriers is interrupted, and we are working hard to restore that service to all who are affected."

I'm just frustrated, not only by the double-outage within 7 days, but their lack of reality in how they respond to it!
    Last edited by ericsmcdonald; 12-23-09 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Proofed after posting, not before ...
    12-23-09 02:57 AM
    Yes, I would never even consider buying another BlackBerry unless the fundamental design of the entire BlackBerry ecosystem was changed and I can't wait to get out of BlackBerry and into an iPhone or Android platform device.
    12-23-09 03:01 AM
    Perhaps there is less of a disruption to BES users and that's how they can say it? Maybe it's a way to get us closer to our families during the holidays by making us put down those evil little devices. Or maybe RIM just want to ruin my Christmas

Yes...I would rather a more direct response as well.
    12-23-09 03:07 AM
    I'm just frustrated because I waited 2 weeks for my phone to be available and when I finally get it, the servers go down. The Bell Employee failed to mention the server crash, so I got REALLY annoyed when nothing worked, and spent 2 hours before realizing the crash.
    12-23-09 03:09 AM
    they should of let us know something.. - -*
    12-23-09 03:54 AM
    Check out the article on CNN. BlackBerry users hit by eight-hour outage - CNN.com In that article they say initial reports of outages started at 6:45 pm. It was more like 6 hours earlier. They finally came around to say that 100% of NA customers were without service.

Yeah they really downplay it in the news. Not sure why the news doesnt hit them hard in these articles?
    12-23-09 09:33 AM
    As a long time WM user and having always been told how dependable a BB, I am quite disappointed in two such outages within one week. I hope this is a more of an exception than the norm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 09:37 AM
    As a long time WM user and having always been told how dependable a BB, I am quite disappointed in two such outages within one week. I hope this is a more of an exception than the norm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It most definitely is an exception. Aside from today, there has been only one other major, widespread outage this year, and that was the one that occurred last week (I am not counting the November outage, as that was not nearly as widespread). Before that, there were only two major outages in two-and-a-half years.

A major reason that these outages are more prevalent with Blackberry is because Blackberries, unlike iPhones and Windows Devices, channel all of their data through RIM's secure network. Done for security purposes, this leads to Blackberries being the most secure wireless device available. Organizations such as the FBI and the Whitehouse, who demand the highest level of security, do not use any device other than Blackberry.

As for RIM's response, I think the reasoning is thus: From a Public Relations perspective, it is much safer to admit at first only to a partial outage, until all of the facts are clear. For if there is a possibility of the outage not affecting all users, RIM's public image would be unnecessarily damaged by news reports of a "100% outage". Therefore they only released what they were absolutely sure of - that some users were experiencing delays. Once the facts were clear, they obviously told the truth.
    12-23-09 09:58 AM
    While it's unfortunate that meldownd's do occure with technology and thing's are never perfect,At least RIM was courtious enough to come foward to admit there was a problem at all, Kudos to them for steping up to plate and telling us thats yes there was a problem.If the problem was your carrier itself do you think they would publicky come forward and say" hey we broke the sh**"? I dont think so.But hey Sh** happens.
    12-23-09 10:00 AM
    These Outages are getting tiresome. Before these last 2 outages I was sure I would bet another BB sooner or later now I am not so sure anymore .If say they have another outage next week I probably will just trash my BB outright and forget about RIM or Blackberries ever again.
    12-23-09 10:44 AM
    if i wasn't tied down to a 2 yr contract i would jump ship. i just upgraded and am stuck for 2 more years.

RIM needs to get the **** together or they'll see more people leaving. this incompetence is embarassing for the company.
    12-23-09 10:49 AM
    My understanding, is that BlackBerry Messenger is what took the whole thing down! Something with it overloading the servers due to an update, and then everything went down.

So, let me get this straight: A program that is used for chatting, brought an entire system effecting millions of users to its knees? What's next? We gotta worry about every little update that RIM installs?

I'm going to go look at Droid phones again today.
    12-23-09 11:00 AM
    I have lost my trust in RIM. Just too unreliable. I'll be switching to Android in January.
    12-23-09 12:55 PM
    Even assuming 99.9% uptime, that still allows for about 8 hours of downtime a year. Is the company/carrier you're going to jump to have a 100% uptime rating?

The PR doesn't really bother me. It's how the game is played. I didn't tell people I crashed the network last week, it was "There was a problem and IT quickly resolved it."
    12-23-09 02:18 PM
    if i wasn't tied down to a 2 yr contract i would jump ship. i just upgraded and am stuck for 2 more years.

RIM needs to get the **** together or they'll see more people leaving. this incompetence is embarassing for the company.
    +1

Management seems to be extremely REactive.

I love Blackberries, but I am disappointed at how nonchalant they seem to be when responding to problems or preventing them before they happen. Granted, some things may not be foreseeable, but honestly people have been complaining about the message delays in BBM for MONTHS and nothing seems to have been done so far.

Considering BBM crashed the entire server, $20 says that the delays in BBM messages in the last few months have been related to their inadequate server.
    12-23-09 02:29 PM
    So, let me get this straight: A program that is used for chatting, brought an entire system effecting millions of users to its knees? What's next? We gotta worry about every little update that RIM installs?
    As a computer programmer, it is very easy for three to four programmers to overlook a potential problem. Of course, they tested the update extensively and found no problem, but when released to the millions, some unexpected problems occurred.

If you test 1k, 10k, or even 100k, everything can run fine. But it is near impossible to test 30,000,000 potential users using BBM at any given time.

I was mad that BIS was down last night, but when they released the problem, it was a simple oversight. Should it have happened in a perfect business atmosphere? No, it shouldn't have. But, service is back up and running, they released a statement with reason. We are humans. We make mistakes. RIM is no different.

And for all of those jumping ship over a less than twelve hour downtime, grow up. It's like ending your marriage over a less than stellar night in bed.
    12-23-09 02:42 PM
    So all of you jumping ship had people die as a result of the service being down? Your company went bankrupt? Or you just weren't able to BBM your BFF?

Get some perspective people.
    12-23-09 03:28 PM
    I work for some pretty demanding lawyers, many of whom are quite attached to their BBs, but I didn't get a single complaint or frustration from anyone really. They all understood that things happen and they found alternative ways of working around it until the issue was resolved.
    12-23-09 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD