Back in the day before carriers offered data service it made sense for a company to create a wireless internet service that used the GSM network but delivered data through a central server- RIM's BIS.

Now that every every carrier offer own data service, is RIM's BIS outdated?- to have all data filter through their centralized servers. Numerous outages this month!
    12-22-09 08:36 PM
    numerous outages this week... and I think they sold a ton of blackberrys and didn't spend enough money upgrading there services..

I like the security of having it run through there encrypted servers but its annoying when it go's down
    12-22-09 08:41 PM
    rim sucks ***
    12-23-09 01:15 AM
    Back in the day before carriers offered data service it made sense for a company to create a wireless internet service that used the GSM network but delivered data through a central server- RIM's BIS.

Now that every every carrier offer own data service, is RIM's BIS outdated?- to have all data filter through their centralized servers. Numerous outages this month!
    Good Point! Im thinking so too!
    Last edited by Bettermost; 12-23-09 at 01:30 AM.
    12-23-09 01:16 AM
    good point! Im thinking so.
    rims still sucks azz
    12-23-09 01:25 AM
    rims still sucks azz
    then get a new phone.
    12-23-09 01:47 AM
    The centralized services is the core of RIM's business model (aka this is how they make money). Technically it's not much different than the carrier model, except instead of just worrying about the carrier being up and your mail provider being up, you have 3 dependencies... the carrier must be up, the RIM proxies must be up and your mail provider has to be up.

It's also my best understanding that Blackberry's exceptional battery life is heavily dependent on its custom interactions and signaling with the RIM BES/BIS infrastructure.

RIM does have a 24/7 network operations center like any top tier carrier does, so except for recently, these are usually pretty rare/isolated. Heads will no doubt roll over this.
    12-23-09 01:48 AM
    If this keeps happening.. Im gone.. lol
    12-23-09 01:49 AM
    It is more than likely a money thing. RIM's stock was at $140 a share and now it is less than half that! Lots of new Blackberry owners and no money put into the servers . . . well that is not going to be dependable.

I say these outages are going to be the norm in the future, what a shame afdter being with RIM for 10 years, but nothing stays the same
    12-23-09 07:31 AM
    I don't think that their infrastructure is outdated. Being an IT guy, i'm suspecting that the outage was caused by bugs on their application that caused severe impact to their network...

RIM, make sure you stress test your apps first before releasing...
    12-23-09 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD