Anyone here had any luck with the retention department regarding the 9700 ?
    none of my lines are eligible for a full upgrade. So I'm debating calling retentions to see what kind of deal I can get.
    11-12-09 01:27 PM
    Just my opinion but that is lame. Wait until you are eligible or just pay for the phone.....no need to "strong arm" retentions to get something new just because it comes out before your upgrade time.
    11-12-09 02:38 PM
    Just my opinion but that is lame. Wait until you are eligible or just pay for the phone.....no need to "strong arm" retentions to get something new just because it comes out before your upgrade time.
    maybe it is,But I'm the customer and I want it, If I can't get I will go elsewhere.
    11-12-09 02:42 PM
    That's true, if you don't get what you want, you have the freedom to go wherever you wish. But still, its not like they owe you anything. Are you on any of the new plans? Just get the Equipment Installment Plan. Thats what i'm gonna do, so i can walk in store on Monday and walk out with the 9700. Pretty simple.
    11-12-09 03:55 PM
    I was able to get the 8900 when it first came out for $179. I had a lot of time left on my contract. They even spread the charges over 3 months. I think it depends on which CS rep you happen to get.
    11-12-09 03:59 PM
    That's true, if you don't get what you want, you have the freedom to go wherever you wish. But still, its not like they owe you anything. Are you on any of the new plans? Just get the Equipment Installment Plan. Thats what i'm gonna do, so i can walk in store on Monday and walk out with the 9700. Pretty simple.

whats the installment plan?
    11-12-09 04:03 PM
    You can pay you phone off in installments instead of pay for the phone outright. You can do a period of 4 months or 20 months. Check out T-mobile website...it's the "Even More Plus" plan.
    11-12-09 04:08 PM
    If you've signed up for one of the new Even More or Even More Plus plans, they have something new called the "Equipment Installment Plan". Even More is with the contract and Even More Plus is without a contract. If you have the Even More plan, i believe you can spread it out along 4 payments but on the Even More Plus you have the option to spread out the payments in 20 installments. I saw on TmoNews that the 9700 was going to come out to something like 22.50 with the 20 month plan.

You should definitely inquire if the plans suit your needs. However some have found that they don't need or want to switch to one of the new plans.
    11-12-09 04:11 PM
    EDIT: I just realized my post was in the wrong thread.

To keep this placeholder on topic, will there be a rebate with the 9700? It didn't look like it from other threads. Also, when do they usually drop the price on new phones?
    Last edited by sifka4; 11-12-09 at 06:00 PM.
    11-12-09 05:48 PM
    It's a shame that T-Mobile and others created this mindframe by even creating anything called "retentions." We're creating a culture in this country where if you whine enough, you'll get anything you want. People aren't dumb. They've figured out that this type of behavior pays off.

Why would you want to hold on to any customer who believes the ONLY worth of your service and of your company is tied to crying and getting a deal that is usually not offered to the majority of other customers? A better customer model is ignoring the whiners and giving good incentives to your loyal customers.
    11-12-09 05:48 PM
    I doubt Retentions will do much for you. Retentions is great for seeing if you can change to GF plans but I don't know about phone discounts.

I may be mistaken but you may be able to pay off the 9700 in 4 installments on older plans too. I was offered that option when I got my 8900 back in feb, but I turned it down and paid in full.

Or you can just get a new one off CL or eBay for cheaper.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-09 06:06 PM
    Why would you want to hold on to any customer who believes the ONLY worth of your service and of your company is tied to crying and getting a deal that is usually not offered to the majority of other customers?
    The answer is simple "Money" T-mobile is hemorrhaging customers.

A better customer model is ignoring the whiners and giving good incentives to your loyal customers.
    I am a loyal customer, I have 3 lines of service and have been a customer since they were Voicestream 8 years. Forgive me for not wanting to shell out $500 on a phone. If I can get a better deal then so be it. Anyone out there dumb enough to pay full retail for a phone is an *****,That's like going to the car dealership and paying the sticker price.
    11-12-09 06:36 PM
    T-mobile is hemorrhaging customers.
    Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. Actually I kinda of doubted it but just checked and saw that T-Mobile did indeed lose 77,000 subscribers in the 3rd quarter.

That still doesn't justify creating a culture where people are encouraged to rant and yell and scream and demand give-aways all day long for phony reasons simply to get a better deal than the next guy.

If that's the direction we're going as a society, that's sad. Actually there's already a place like this ... last I checked it's called Baghdad.
    11-12-09 07:40 PM
    Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. Actually I kinda of doubted it but just checked and saw that T-Mobile did indeed lose 77,000 subscribers in the 3rd quarter.

That still doesn't justify creating a culture where people are encouraged to rant and yell and scream and demand give-aways all day long for phony reasons simply to get a better deal than the next guy.

If that's the direction we're going as a society, that's sad. Actually there's already a place like this ... last I checked it's called Baghdad.
    I'm not demanding a give away, I'm demanding a better deal than retail.
    I don't see what the problem is with a customer trying to get the best deal, Isn't that how the free market works? If I can cancel my Tmobile contract and go to At&t and get the 9700 for $199.00 then Tmobile should take that into consideration and do what they can to keep me.

Now if you want to get into a conversation about our culture and intitlements that's one thing.
    11-12-09 07:50 PM
    maybe it is,But I'm the customer and I want it, If I can't get I will go elsewhere.
    Good luck! Hope it works out for you. Cant be mad if they dont. You signed the contract. But trust me.... I understand you want this as we all do!
    11-12-09 07:53 PM
    Good luck! Hope it works out for you. Cant be mad if they dont. You signed the contract. But trust me.... I understand you want this as we all do!
    No doubt. Worth a shot.
    11-12-09 07:56 PM
    I'm not demanding a give away, I'm demanding a better deal than retail.
    Isn't this why T-Mobile created their new rate plans? You can go full retail with no strings and get no contract and financing over 20 months (EM+) ... or ... you can go with a subsidized program and not pay "full retail" and lock into an extended contract (EM).

Seems like they have you covered either way.

What I was objecting to is the idea that everyone needs to "call retentions" and act like idiots yelling and screaming and demanding concessions. Would you want to sit on a phone and deal with people acting like that all day? I wouldn't.

On my 8900, T-Mobile contacted me. They offered me a program that was very attractive. I got my 8900 for a very attractive price. I also earned it by being a loyal customer who has been with the company for years and who doesn't call and raise h*ell and be abnoxious to T-Mobile's employees. I even occasionally call just to compliment them.

No one is suggesting that you throw money away. At the same time, no one should condone acting poorly and calling and demanding concessions over some sort of gimmicked up grievance in order to try and con a better deal just by being a j*erk. Where does that lead? A nation of ill mannered slobs? Thanks I'll pass on that.
    11-12-09 08:01 PM
    Isn't this why T-Mobile created their new rate plans? You can go full retail with no strings and get no contract and financing over 20 months (EM+) ... or ... you can go with a subsidized program and not pay "full retail" and lock into an extended contract (EM).

Seems like they have you covered either way.

What I was objecting to is the idea that everyone needs to "call retentions" and act like idiots yelling and screaming and demanding concessions. Would you want to sit on a phone and deal with people acting like that all day? I wouldn't.

On my 8900, T-Mobile contacted me. They offered me a program that was very attractive. I got my 8900 for a very attractive price. I also earned it by being a loyal customer who has been with the company for years and who doesn't call and raise h*ell and be abnoxious to T-Mobile's employees. I even occasionally call just to compliment them.

No one is suggesting that you throw money away. At the same time, no one should condone acting poorly and calling and demanding concessions over some sort of gimmicked up grievance in order to try and con a better deal just by being a j*erk. Where does that lead? A nation of ill mannered slobs? Thanks I'll pass on that.

I agree but your making assumptions about me, I never said I would yell,scream,raise **** or be obnoxious. I got the same deal on the 8900 by calling retentions and being very polite. yelling at customer service will get you know where.
    11-12-09 08:10 PM
    I agree but your making assumptions about me, I never said I would yell,scream,raise **** or be obnoxious. I got the same deal on the 8900 by calling retentions and being very polite. yelling at customer service will get you know where.
    I apologize if you assumed I was referring to you. I was not. Don't know you and wouldn't make that assumption.

Was commenting more in general. These "call-up-retentions-and-give-em-h*ell" threads pop up semi-frequently. I think it's a bad idea to reinforce the idea that you get goodies with poor behavior. Again wasn't suggesting that you specifically do that. Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

Nothing wrong with buying smart but we should all not forget about doing it with class and character too. Sounds like we're both on the same page with that.
    11-12-09 08:15 PM
    I apologize if you assumed I was referring to you. I was not. Don't know you and wouldn't make that assumption.

Was commenting more in general. These "call-up-retentions-and-give-em-h*ell" threads pop up semi-frequently. I think it's a bad idea to reinforce the idea that you get goodies with poor behavior. Again wasn't suggesting that you specifically do that. Thanks for allowing me to clarify.

Nothing wrong with buying smart but we should all not forget about doing it with class and character too. Sounds like we're both on the same page with that.
    Yes I think were on the same page, I think my original post came off as I was going to call up and be rude..etc not my intention at all.
    11-12-09 08:19 PM
    Yes I think were on the same page, I think my original post came off as I was going to call up and be rude..etc not my intention at all.
    We all know that anyone with the common sense to switch from the iPhone to a BlackBerry has to be a man of good judgement!
    11-12-09 08:22 PM
    It's a shame that T-Mobile and others created this mindframe by even creating anything called "retentions." We're creating a culture in this country where if you whine enough, you'll get anything you want. People aren't dumb. They've figured out that this type of behavior pays off.

Why would you want to hold on to any customer who believes the ONLY worth of your service and of your company is tied to crying and getting a deal that is usually not offered to the majority of other customers? A better customer model is ignoring the whiners and giving good incentives to your loyal customers.
    Tmo does not CREATE a mind frame or a culture of whiny people demanding things they do not deserve. They are merely providing a service to them. If anyone is creating that culture, it would be the government because we have been bailing out AIG, GM, Chrysler, freddy mac and etc. Those are the people who truly do not deserve anything but believe that are entitled to things if they whine enough. If you want to flame, please flame about the government, not tmo who is doing a great job. It only makes sense to keep the customers you have to keep subscription up. Loyal customers will be there no matter what, and they do get taken care of. If you argue against that logic, you really are ignorant.
    11-15-09 11:04 AM

Absolutely laughable. No other way to describe the unit that made this post. Just laughable.

11-15-09 12:00 PM
    We all know that anyone with the common sense to switch from the iPhone to a BlackBerry has to be a man of good judgement!
    Wow. Way to cower, berry.

I think its dishonest and manipulative to call the department which you only call when you want to cancel service, tell them you're going to cancel your service unless they give you a deal. You renew your contract every year or two. Uphold your end of the contract. That's what a contract is. They uphold their end. Uphold yours. Don't say you're going to do one thing, then go do another because you "feel" like doing something differently, even though you've committed in the first place. You can make whatever excuse you want - "I'm not going to yell at them... I've been a customer for 87 years... Blah blah". Your intent is still the same, even if you sugar coat it.

11-15-09 12:14 PM
    Wow. Way to cower, berry.

I think its dishonest and manipulative to call the department which you only call when you want to cancel service, tell them you're going to cancel your service unless they give you a deal. You renew your contract every year or two. Uphold your end of the contract. That's what a contract is. They uphold their end. Uphold yours. Don't say you're going to do one thing, then go do another because you "feel" like doing something differently, even though you've committed in the first place. You can make whatever excuse you want - "I'm not going to yell at them... I've been a customer for 87 years... Blah blah". Your intent is still the same, even if you sugar coat it.

Stop being a cheerleader for the company, Trust me if they could legally stick it to you ,They would in a heartbeat. Companies have been screwing their customers over for years (not all but some). If you went to the car dealership would you pay sticker price? Or would you use leverage to get a good deal?
    11-15-09 04:05 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD