So we all know by now that when you upgrade to a Blackberry (full keyboard), G1, Mytouch, Sidekick, or Smartphone that they require a data plan or message bundle of 14.99 or more....

There's 3 req data plans u can choose from
    34.99 unl web and unl txt
    24.99 unl web
    14.99 unl text

Ive had alot of customer call in confused about this situation...If you buy a BB 8900 today, sign a 2 year contract 9/25/09-9/25/2011 and of course you get the data feature added on for 24.99 and your super excited you bought your first bb and everythings good until 2 months later you lose the BB 8900...you have no insurance and you decide to go back to your lil pink razr...the bb feature must remain on the account or you can drop it down to the unlimited text bundle for 14.99....now if you are on a family time plan that has unlimited text then you have to remain on the 24.99 bb web....but there is no way to remove the web off the line of service unless you UPGRADEyyour line to a phone first device!!!!

Another Scenario
    Lets say you have two lines on your account....and your eligible for a full discount and the other line isn't....you use your full discount to get the other line a BB 8820...you are required to add the BB feature to your line of service for the length of the contract (even if your not the one using the phone) and it remains on your account till the contract is up or until you upgrade YOUR line to a phone first device!!!! the req feature cant be switched to the other line since you didn't upgrade that line!!

In order to get the required feature off the account...you would need to upgrade your phone THROUGH TMOBILE to a phone first device! Supervisors got word today that they can no longer remove the features no matter what the situation is!

If i confused anybody let me know!!! I tend to do that alot!!! lol!!! or if you have questions...ask away!!!
    Last edited by lisap006; 09-25-09 at 08:59 PM.
    09-25-09 08:55 PM
    Keep in mind that required unlimited text doesn't apply to the G1, myTouch 3G, or Sidekick. All three of those devices HAVE to have data. There's no way around that.
    09-25-09 10:38 PM
    I have a Curve 8320 and before I did the last firmware upgrade to 4.5.0.81 I was able to use my WiFi in my house and other free WiFi locations AND i could synch with Outlook for calendar and contacts. Now I can do none of the above and I'm not happy about that. Does T-Mobile now REQUIRE me to have their data plan? What about the lack of Outlook 2003 sync ability?

Thank you
    09-26-09 03:21 AM
    Thanks for the heads-up, it makes sense. Sort of stinks that you can't go and get a cheap phone on ebay to tide you over til your contract ends...you need to go thru T-Mobile.

I thought about dropping data while at college because the wifi here is a lot better this year but I guess I'll keep my 19.99 plan. Tier 3 data support said I could keep it anyhow and It would be eligible as a data plan when I upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 07:53 AM
    Why is this a surprise to anyone? We were warned months ago.
    09-26-09 10:06 AM
    ya im gonna stay on the fence on this one......Im not a huge fan of being FORCED into anything regardless of my personal opinion on smartphones and data plans
    09-26-09 10:17 PM
    Why is this a surprise to anyone? We were warned months ago.
    exactly tmo started doing this june 6 i believe of this year.... this is no new news
    09-26-09 10:46 PM
    Question... what happens when my two year contract is up and I am still using the Blackberry?

Will I be required to pay for data service as long as I have the blackberry registered as my phone regardless of contract? Or can I add/take off the data plan anytime I want as long as I have surpassed the two years on the original contract?

I am asking this because I believe AT&T makes you pay for data service as long as you have a blackberry on file, regardless of contract status.
    09-27-09 02:50 AM
    Question... what happens when my two year contract is up and I am still using the Blackberry?

Will I be required to pay for data service as long as I have the blackberry registered as my phone regardless of contract? Or can I add/take off the data plan anytime I want as long as I have surpassed the two years on the original contract?

I am asking this because I believe AT&T makes you pay for data service as long as you have a blackberry on file, regardless of contract status.
    Currently you can cancel it if you are not under contract, but that will change obviously. They are not going to remain as the only one not requiring it.
    09-27-09 03:08 AM
    Currently you can cancel it if you are not under contract, but that will change obviously. They are not going to remain as the only one not requiring it.
    Not obvious at all and it's not obvious either that Verizon and AT&T will get away with this in the long run. No need to scare people. Why don't you just wait and see how our little wager turns out?

09-27-09 11:48 AM
    Not obvious at all and it's not obvious either that Verizon and AT&T will get away with this in the long run. No need to scare people. Why don't you just wait and see how our little wager turns out?

I simply answered his question and stated my opinion. Why don't YOU quit being a stalker.

By the way..it's been a YEAR for VZW with the requirement. I think it's safe to say they HAVE gotten away with it.
    09-27-09 07:21 PM
    I recently bought an 8120.

NEVER signed up for data when I didn't want it.

I have had the feature enabler on my account for years.

I have access to everything a data customer does, just sans the price tag.

Either I'm lucky or in a loop hole. I plan on keeping my account the same until I'm forced to remove it, or they do it for me. Unlimited Talk and data for under $56 dollars a month, can't beat it.
    09-27-09 07:32 PM
    I recently bought an 8120.

NEVER signed up for data when I didn't want it.

I have had the feature enabler on my account for years.

I have access to everything a data customer does, just sans the price tag.

Either I'm lucky or in a loop hole. I plan on keeping my account the same until I'm forced to remove it, or they do it for me. Unlimited Talk and data for under $56 dollars a month, can't beat it.
    The Pearl and Pearl Flip are the two exceptions to the data requirement. The Pearls don't have a full keyboard, therefore they're a phone first device.
    09-27-09 07:55 PM
    The Pearl and Pearl Flip are the two exceptions to the data requirement. The Pearls don't have a full keyboard, therefore they're a phone first device.
    I owned an 8900 as well with this same set-up. Even an iPhone. So it's not phone dependent per se, but with my account altogether.
    09-27-09 07:57 PM
    Just wanted ppl to be aware of the requirement especially with new 9700 coming out...that the line they upgrade is the line that will have the required feature wether or not the phone is being used on that line!!! no work around!!!
    09-27-09 08:03 PM
    I owned an 8900 as well with this same set-up. Even an iPhone. So it's not phone dependent per se, but with my account altogether.
    If you set your account up with the Pearl that's why you were able to get what you have. The iPhone currently can't be detected by the TMO network but there is word of AT&T and TMO charing their database for IMEI/models to help prevent just this sort of thing. If your 8900 is TMO branded then you are not being assessed a data plan because they have somehow grandfathered your line OR they just haven't caught up to you yet..lol. If the 8900 is unbranded, they currently do not have the ability to see models on unbranded devices so they have no idea you have a smartphone on the line.
    09-27-09 08:57 PM
    I also work for Tmo and there is a workaround but you won't be getting a discount on the phone.

The worst is me trying to explain to older plan people that now they are going to pay 5 dollars more and loose 400 txt to upgrade and have to have it contracted
    09-27-09 11:06 PM
    I simply answered his question and stated my opinion.
    Fair enough, so here's mine: T-Mobile is likely not to require data plans for out-of-contract customers, and both Verizon and AT&T are going to get a slap on the wrist from the FCC for illegal tying between voice and data products.

09-28-09 12:13 AM
    Fair enough, so here's mine: T-Mobile is likely not to require data plans for out-of-contract customers, and both Verizon and AT&T are going to get a slap on the wrist from the FCC for illegal tying between voice and data products.

Hey dude, you must not be reading closely here! ATT has sold millons of iphones (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/te...s/23phone.html), and all of those customers HAVE DATA PLANS.

Get with the program already. Its happening.
    09-28-09 12:31 PM
    Hey dude, you must not be reading closely here! ATT has sold millons of iphones (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/te...s/23phone.html), and all of those customers HAVE DATA PLANS.

Get with the program already. Its happening.
    Huh? The vast majority of those people are not out of contract because they bought the phone at a heavily subsidized price. Forcing data plans onto EVERYONE is a completely different matter.

09-28-09 03:47 PM
    Huh? The vast majority of those people are not out of contract because they bought the phone at a heavily subsidized price. Forcing data plans onto EVERYONE is a completely different matter.

They require data plans on all smartphones, not just the ones with rebates. Its in their terms of service.
    09-28-09 04:09 PM
    They require data plans on all smartphones, not just the ones with rebates. Its in their terms of service.
    Precisely. So far, T-Mobile has been wise enough to stay clear of this practice, and for a good reason, since there are convincing arguments for why it constitutes tying (see link), a practice that's illegal in most economically developed countries, including the US.
    Last edited by Ikarus; 09-28-09 at 04:48 PM.
    09-28-09 04:40 PM
    Precisely. So far, T-Mobile has been wise enough to stay clear of this practice, and for a good reason, since there are convincing arguments for why it constitutes tying (see link), a practice that's illegal in most economically developed countries, including the US.
    TMo is doing exactly what the wiki article is talking about. Requiring new customers/upgrades to get a data plan with their new phones.

**Laughs**

OH, BTW.... quoted from the Wiki page:

This article contains weasel words, vague phrasing that often accompanies biased or unverifiable information.
    ***Laughs again***
    Last edited by TequilaAddict; 09-28-09 at 05:14 PM.
    09-28-09 05:08 PM
    From your own link:
    "Tying is the practice of making the sale of one good (the tying good) to the de facto or de jure customer conditional on the purchase of a second distinctive good (the tied good). It is often illegal when the products are not naturally related, for example requiring a bookstore to stock up on an unpopular title before allowing them to purchase a bestseller. "

Smartphones use data, therefore they are naturally related. By the way..using Wikipedia to back your arguement....FAIL! I would say quote some real sources but since there are none, don't bother. There are iPhone users who are not under contract and they are required to carry the data plan per AT&Ts TOS and you don't see any lawsuit do you.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it go away.
    09-28-09 05:15 PM
    Ikarus is best left alone/ignored. He is like a broken record that cannot be fixed.
    09-28-09 05:37 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD