Ikarus is best left alone/ignored. He is like a broken record that cannot be fixed.
    LOL...Agreed
    09-28-09 05:50 PM
    Ikarus definitely has a valid point, it is total BS that cell phone carriers require you paying for data once you have a blackberry.

However Ikarus needs realize that nothing will come out of this injustice, we live in a careless society where people just take it. The number of people who owns a smart phone that doesn't want data is way too small to make a difference. Most people either 1)don't care because they have money 2)willing to take it in the arse or 3)can't afford a smartphone to begin with.
    09-28-09 06:26 PM
    Ikarus definitely has a valid point, it is total BS that cell phone carriers require you paying for data once you have a blackberry.

However Ikarus needs realize that nothing will come out of this injustice, we live in a careless society where people just take it. The number of people who owns a smart phone that doesn't want data is way too small to make a difference. Most people either 1)don't care because they have money 2)willing to take it in the arse or 3)can't afford a smartphone to begin with.
    FAIL.

Most people don't care because data plans are very useful.

Despite whatever the few holdout say, the majority will get the data plans.
    09-28-09 06:46 PM
    TMo is doing exactly what the wiki article is talking about. Requiring new customers/upgrades to get a data plan with their new phones.

**Laughs**
    The joke is on you. With T-Mobile, you have the option not to get the phone at a subsidized price, in which case you don't need to buy the data plan.
    09-28-09 07:18 PM
    Smartphones use data, therefore they are naturally related.
    That's a very weird kind of logic. Would you also say that they are 'naturally related' to displaying p*rn, just because they can? Or that a knife is naturally related to killing, just because it can? What the user should be charged for is not what the phone could potentially be used for, but about what the user actually chooses to do with it.
    Last edited by Ikarus; 09-28-09 at 07:55 PM.
    09-28-09 07:52 PM
    That's a very weird kind of logic. Would you also say that they are 'naturally related' to displaying p*rn, just because they can? Or that a knife is naturally related to killing, just because it can? What the user should be charged for is not what the phone could potentially be used for, but about what the user actually chooses to do with it.
    Ok..then I am going to use your logic and tell the state of California that they can not keep me from buying an M16 because even though it is related to killing, that doesn't mean I am going to use it for that. How well do you think that's gonna go. Your logic it flawed ONCE AGAIN.

A knife is designed to cut
    A phone is designed to make calls
    A smartphone is designed to use data

Can I get a phone on TMO without a voice plan but still have access to make calls in case I want to? NO
    09-28-09 11:41 PM
    Ok..then I am going to use your logic and tell the state of California that they can not keep me from buying an M16 because even though it is related to killing, that doesn't mean I am going to use it for that. How well do you think that's gonna go. Your logic it flawed ONCE AGAIN.
    Is this the best analogy you can come up with? If I don't pay for the data plan, there is a very simple, straightforward way for the carrier to make sure I can't use it - block access. Nobody gets hurt, nobody is unfairly treated, everybody is happy. How does this translate to your M16 analogy? That's right, it doesn't.

A smartphone is designed to use data
    ... amongst other things. A smartphone is also designed to place calls and to get data through WiFi and if that's how I want to use my phone that I bought at full retail price, nobody has the right to tell me otherwise.

Can I get a phone on TMO without a voice plan but still have access to make calls in case I want to? NO
    Another non sequitur. Nobody has been asking for a free ride. It's quite simple. Not paying for a feature means not getting it.
    09-29-09 12:36 AM
    Is this the best analogy you can come up with? How does this translate to your M16 analogy? That's right, it doesn't.
    Another non sequitur. Nobody has been asking for a free ride. It's quite simple. Not paying for a feature means not getting it.
    Are you really that ignorant or just mental? YOU made the analogy to a knife and killing. Your insistance is that just because a smartphone gets data doesn't mean that people will use it for that and should be allowed to have them without a data requirement. Well...I think that just because an M16 can kill someone doesn't mean that is what I am going to use it for, but in order to have one I have to meet certain criteria impossed by the government. Of course I can always get a gun that does not have a removable magazine or automatic fire and I don't have to meet that requirement.

As for my best analogy...I have given dozens over the past few weeks and you STIL DON'T GET IT!
    09-29-09 12:57 AM
    ... Putting this topic BACK ON TRACK ...

Plain and simple, those who typically buy smartphones are prepared to pay for the monthly data cost. If somebody has a teenager that "is in requirement" of a smartphone, they typically know they're in for a $35 charge a month. Now that TMO is "actually" enforcing it, people are getting p!ssy or are magically confused over it? Deal with it, as I said before, we were warned months ago, it's not a new thing.
    09-29-09 10:54 AM
    I agree with Ikarus that people should not be forced into paying for data just because they bought a "smart phone". Some people just like how the blackberry looks and they don't feel the need to ever surf the net with it. Since it also has wifi capability, they can surf the net at home or wherever wifi is present, they don't need to surf the net EVERYWHERE. If they don't use something, they should not be forced to pay for it.

Ikarus is losing this argument simply because his tone and delivery is wrong, but his reasons are legit.

However there is not going to be some sort of class action lawsuit stemming from this because the number of people that are willing to pay for data outweighs those who aren't by a large margin. They are also not going to be sued because they are giving you the option to buy dumb phones that doesn't require data. The only way they will be sued if they charge for data on EVERY phone they sell.
    09-29-09 04:26 PM
    However there is not going to be some sort of class action lawsuit stemming from this because the number of people that are willing to pay for data outweighs those who aren't by a large margin. They are also not going to be sued because they are giving you the option to buy dumb phones that doesn't require data. The only way they will be sued if they charge for data on EVERY phone they sell.
    And lets not forget that as a Tmobile subscriber, unless you read the fine print and opted out within the first 30 days you are not ALLOWED to be a part of a class action suit. Should have read the Terms and Conditions

From the TMO T&C:
    CLASS ACTION WAIVER. WE EACH AGREE THAT ANY DISPUTE RESOLUTION PROCEEDINGS, WHETHER IN ARBITRATION OR COURT, WILL BE CONDUCTED ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT IN A CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR AS A MEMBER IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION.
    09-29-09 04:38 PM
    Ok im chiming in and im throwing my post count and seniority behind it.....everyone is so busy trying to sling facts and copying TOS's

#1. This "debate" has gotten way off topic and is turning into a pi**ing contest......so lets get back on post for crying out loud...

#2. It is what it is......nobody enjoys paying more but there are valid arguments for both having AND not having dataplans....lets discuss it civilly

#3. .......tequila you have little if any room to be talking about ignoring folks...I've been party to several of your rants.....so dont let your britches get to big for ya'....you indulge in the monster that is "trolling" too.......David......from our PM's ide LIKE to think you value my input and level headed/fairness......your gonna have to quit getting wound up over different opinions and responding to every post some has in response to yours......or your gonna get hammered by a mod mark my words....lets everyone reel it in......all of us....me included.....I'm speaking from experience of being a previous troublemaker who loves....absolutely loves to argue....at the end of the day the whole forum is laughing at YOU....you've proven nothing except that your capable of regurgitating useless facts and information......and YOURE angry......Ikarus......tone it down dude...your post count aint high enough yet to lend you much credit.....I think we all get the point....some agree with you some wont ever....so let it go........lets just stay on point

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread
    09-29-09 06:31 PM
    ......all of us....me included.....Im speaking from experience of being a previous troublemaker who loves....absolutely loves to argue....at the end of the day the whole forum is laughing at YOU....you've proven nothing......and YOURE angry......Ikarus......tone it down.....I think we all get the point....some agree some wont ever....let it go

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread
    Actually Larry, I am laughing with them. When I post these replies to Ikarus I am usually laughing about it. Yes, I do have a perpesnsity to argue, mostly because I really hate to let people like him think they got the best of me just because I stopped posting. The facts are out there and if people want to ignore them then I guess that's their right. I really think posts like these should be closed once they get this far off, especially since there are several going around. By now if you still need a heads up about the data plans then you must be living under a rock. I agree my last post asking Ikarus if he was that ignorant or just mental did come close to the line but I don't think I have really said anything the mods would censure. HOWEVER, on that note, I will make every effort to dial it back, on this issue at least...lol.
    09-29-09 06:42 PM

#3. .......tequila you have little if any room to be talking about ignoring folks...I've been party to several of your rants.....so dont let your britches get to big for ya'....you indulge in the monster that is "trolling" too.......
    Larry: Unless you're a mod, I will not be taking any scolding from you. We can agree to disagree, as we often post in the same threads, but I have as much right to say what I feel I want to as you do, unless the MODS tell us/ me / you... to stop.

If I see any more posts from Ikarus, I am ignoring him... even if he quotes me. That's the only logical thing to do at this point, and I would love for the MODS to tell me if that violates a forum rule to say that I am deliberately ignoring someone. Then, I will accept as a rule if the Mod says so.
    09-29-09 07:47 PM
    Larry: Unless you're a mod, I will not be taking any scolding from you. We can agree to disagree, as we often post in the same threads, but I have as much right to say what I feel I want to as you do, unless the MODS tell us/ me / you... to stop.

If I see any more posts from Ikarus, I am ignoring him... even if he quotes me. That's the only logical thing to do at this point, and I would love for the MODS to tell me if that violates a forum rule to say that I am deliberately ignoring someone. Then, I will accept as a rule if the Mod says so.
    The mods won't say anytihng about ignoring him, in fact you can go into the user control panel and add him to the ignore list and it just lists his name when he posts. So, if you don't like reading someones opinions I suggest you add them to the ignore list. This includes me. Everyone has a right to their opinion and you as a reader have the right to ignore them..lol.
    09-29-09 08:19 PM
    The mods won't say anytihng about ignoring him, in fact you can go into the user control panel and add him to the ignore list and it just lists his name when he posts. So, if you don't like reading someones opinions I suggest you add them to the ignore list. This includes me. Everyone has a right to their opinion and you as a reader have the right to ignore them..lol.
    I have no problem reading people opinions! I just have to stand up for myself if someone tries to scold me. That I will not tolerate.
    09-29-09 08:29 PM
    I have no problem reading people opinions! I just have to stand up for myself if someone tries to scold me. That I will not tolerate.
    I don't think it was his intent to scold, he is trying to quash bickering and get the topic back on track. Personally I think the topic is a waste of space and should be locked anyway, but I can see he is just trying to get everyone to play nice. Unfortuneately there are those who a quick to jump on people who's opinions don't meet with their view of the world. Just look at the past few threads I've been attacked in just because I have a view that the some people in the comsuming public have an entitlement issue.
    09-29-09 08:40 PM
    Are you really that ignorant or just mental?
    Hmm... I've been told to tone it down, so I'll let you get away with this.

Well...I think that just because an M16 can kill someone doesn't mean that is what I am going to use it for, but in order to have one I have to meet certain criteria impossed by the government.
    This is pointless. The possession of an M16 is illegal because one of its potential use cases is harmful, and yes, by the same token, a society might go to extreme to outlaw knives, but that's not why I brought it up as an example.

The knife was to illustrate that many items (smartphones amongst others) have more than one purpose consistent with their nature. Consequently, such an item doesn't become useless if it is not used for one of these purposes. In particular, a smartphone doesn't become useless if not used with a data plan, which is why bundling it with a voice plan constitutes illegal tying. This is as plain as I can make it. End of discussion.
    09-29-09 08:48 PM
    WOW what have i created!!!!!! I was just giving everybody a heads up about the required data plan since it seems like every other customer that calls in is upset or confused about it cant we all just get along!!!
    09-29-09 09:02 PM
    WOW what have i created!!!!!! I was just giving everybody a heads up about the required data plan since it seems like every other customer that calls in is upset or confused about it cant we all just get along!!!
    No worries lisa...you didn't start it. This has been a hot button issue on the boards since AT&T mandated the requirement. It seems to be getting more heated these days as TMO is the only one not going all the way with their requirement yet. It's being debated in like 4 threads now..lol.
    09-29-09 09:07 PM
    I wasn't scolding anyone....lol....I most certainly have NO room to talk about being a troublemaker....-m the biggest troublemaker there is....-m just tryin to save us all a little heartache that's all

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 08:50 AM
    With the new even more plus (EM+) plans (no contract) and buying the phone at retail price. Does this mean we will be able to own a Blackberry and not have to have data if we wish?

Will we be able to switch between voice only plans and voice + data plans (vice versa) from month to month?
    10-27-09 03:07 PM
    Hi

can I get the memoir without the data plan? id rather get this phone and not get data. i can afford to pay, i just dont want to. thanks guys.
    11-07-09 09:52 AM
    With the new even more plus (EM+) plans (no contract) and buying the phone at retail price. Does this mean we will be able to own a Blackberry and not have to have data if we wish?

Will we be able to switch between voice only plans and voice + data plans (vice versa) from month to month?
    Correct. This has been the case with retail price phone purchases since the data plan became mandatory. Same applies with EM+
    11-07-09 01:34 PM
    Hi

can I get the memoir without the data plan? id rather get this phone and not get data. i can afford to pay, i just dont want to. thanks guys.
    The Memoir doesn't require a data package, only a text bundle.
    11-07-09 01:34 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD