Okay so I did some very bad things. No wait, just one very bad thing, and my dad cut my data plan off. Yea. Clever eh? Not grounding me, nothing like that, but killing me where it really and truly hurts.

I am using a Bold 9000 on Rogers, with that I am guessing is now only the most basic plan lacking data at all. So as you can guess, no email no internet or bbm without wifi, which thankfully still works.

My question is can I somehow get email and bbm to work through wifi, at all?

Secondly, some apps, Windows Live Messenger for example, say "No data service available" even though my WiFi is working fine. so is there a way to get the phone to send all the data through WiFi, because between home and school there is always WiFi, so I can use these applications? Because some refuse to run without a active data plan apparently. Anyone? Rogers reps? Wanna give a hand of expertise?
    11-24-09 07:36 PM
    My question is can I somehow get email and bbm to work through wifi, at all?

Secondly, some apps, Windows Live Messenger for example, say "No data service available" even though my WiFi is working fine. so is there a way to get the phone to send all the data through WiFi, because between home and school there is always WiFi, so I can use these applications? Because some refuse to run without a active data plan apparently. Anyone? Rogers reps? Wanna give a hand of expertise?
    No you can't. BBM and email go through RIM's servers, and you have to have a BIS plan for them to work. They do not work over WiFi.

Also, the RIM-supplied messengers (i.e. the standalone WLM, AIM, GoogleTalk, etc) do not work unless you have a data plan. You'd be better finding a free or cheap all-in-one IM program, such as Beejive (which is neither free nor cheap, but I know for sure it works over WiFi, because I'm using it over WiFi as I type this).

Good luck!
    11-24-09 08:19 PM
    Wrong.

Whenever I'm at home, I'm constantly on WiFi, never on the local mobile network. And I have access to all my data services. IM, BBM, Internet, etc...

Now granted, you may still need the BIS to have your BBM Registered at the least to be able to use it, whether on WiFi or BIS, but I doubt it.

You may also have to setup the actual network that your trying to connect with, ex. username, password, Passcode etc..underneath the modem to sign in. Now that may not be so true with the wifi network at the school, as it may be wide open, but you may have to set it up if your using the wifi at home.

No you can't. BBM and email go through RIM's servers, and you have to have a BIS plan for them to work. They do not work over WiFi.

Also, the RIM-supplied messengers (i.e. the standalone WLM, AIM, GoogleTalk, etc) do not work unless you have a data plan. You'd be better finding a free or cheap all-in-one IM program, such as Beejive (which is neither free nor cheap, but I know for sure it works over WiFi, because I'm using it over WiFi as I type this).

Good luck!
    Last edited by phone_junkie; 11-25-09 at 01:15 AM.
    11-25-09 01:13 AM
    Wrong.

Whenever I'm at home, I'm constantly on WiFi, never on the local mobile network. And I have access to all my data services. IM, BBM, Internet, etc...

Now granted, you may still need the BIS to have your BBM Registered at the least to be able to use it, whether on WiFi or BIS, but I doubt it.

You may also have to setup the actual network that your trying to connect with, ex. username, password, Passcode etc..underneath the modem to sign in. Now that may not be so true with the wifi network at the school, as it may be wide open, but you may have to set it up if your using the wifi at home.
    No, not wrong. You have to have a BIS account to be able to connect to RIM's servers to use BBM and the BIS style email. BBM WILL NOT work unless you have a BIS plan or BES plan. Your BBM/email probably still works because, even though you're connected to WiFi, you've still got a BIS plan tied to your phone. If you don't have one, you're SOL.

The OP cross-posted in another forum, and what I've said in my previous post and here is backed up by other CBers.
    11-25-09 02:00 AM
    a_silent_song is right.... no data plan = no BBM, no emails pushed, etc. It doesn't work on Wifi either, only browser and other IM apps work.
    11-25-09 01:18 PM
    This is oh so horrible yet I won't give up.

Is there a way to hack and slash the apps (so MSN messenger, FB, Blackberry App World) so that they will work only off of a WiFi connection?
    11-28-09 06:21 PM
    Personally, I don't think anyone should be offering you help. You got busted for something and not having these abilities is the punishment. Finding a way around it is like being grounded to your room but going out the window so you don't get seen leaving. Take your punishment and next time don't screw up and you won't lose your service. You're lucky, when my kid screws up, I take away her phone and her computer.
    11-28-09 07:07 PM
    This is oh so horrible yet I won't give up.

Is there a way to hack and slash the apps (so MSN messenger, FB, Blackberry App World) so that they will work only off of a WiFi connection?
    No. Suck it up. Read a book instead.
    11-28-09 07:18 PM
    Personally, I don't think anyone should be offering you help. You got busted for something and not having these abilities is the punishment. Finding a way around it is like being grounded to your room but going out the window so you don't get seen leaving. Take your punishment and next time don't screw up and you won't lose your service. You're lucky, when my kid screws up, I take away her phone and her computer.
    Easy there, angry parenting 101 ...

Both Palringo and Instango are free instant message clients that will work over WiFi so you can use your MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and Google Talk accounts. Palringo also offers Facebook chat over a WiFi connection.

For accessing other functions of Facebook over WiFi, either go to the mobile site m.facebook.com using your Hotspot browser, or the full HTML site Welcome to Facebook | Facebook using the Opera Mini browser.

If you want to access App World over WiFi, go to m.crackberry.com using your Hotspot browser, and download their version of AppWorld which is fully compatible with WiFi only function.

Is there a way to hack and slash the apps
    No need to hack apps, just use different apps that give you the same functionality
    11-29-09 12:39 PM
    Easy there, angry parenting 101 ...
    Well...if my statement above leads you to this observation, then you are either a kid, childless adult, or an unfit parent. :-) Hopefully the first, so you have a chance to learn, because there are enough unfit parents out there.
    11-30-09 01:48 AM
    Well...if my statement above leads you to this observation, then you are either a kid, childless adult, or an unfit parent. :-) Hopefully the first, so you have a chance to learn, because there are enough unfit parents out there.
    Let's keep the discussion focused blackberry devices on the Rogers network in this subforum. Please feel free to preach your pediatric psychology elsewhere.
    11-30-09 09:53 PM
    Let's keep the discussion focused blackberry devices on the Rogers network in this subforum. Please feel free to preach your pediatric psychology elsewhere.
    Only went where you took it. By the way..Pediatric Psycology would be the treatment of children with mental problems, I was simply pointing out that helping someone break their parents punishment is wrong. Of course in your case the Pediatric Psycology might be necesary.
    12-01-09 01:01 AM
    By the way..Pediatric Psycology would be the treatment of children with mental problems, I was simply pointing out that helping someone break their parents punishment is wrong. Of course in your case the Pediatric Psycology might be necesary.
    Your ignorance is highly amusing ...

First, please learn to spell psycHology, and don't forget to teach this to your children, in-between their punishment sessions

Secondly, PSYCHIATRY is the medical discipline concerned with the treatment of mental problems, psychology is the scientific study of human mental function.

You got shut down twice, our little interaction here is done.
    12-01-09 09:11 PM
    Your ignorance is highly amusing ...

First, please learn to spell psycHology, and don't forget to teach this to your children, in-between their punishment sessions

Secondly, PSYCHIATRY is the medical discipline concerned with the treatment of mental problems, psychology is the scientific study of human mental function.

You got shut down twice, our little interaction here is done.
    First off, our interaction here is only done when I get bored with pushing your buttons.

Secondly, I don't have to punish my child much because she has been raised right because I don't let her get out of her penalties for doing wrong. Pretty easy to raise a child to be respectful when they understand that the penalties for doing wrong are not hollow.

Third, I graduated high school already so I don't need spelling lessons. You see, I don't spend my time spell checking everything because this is an open exchange and not a written paper on the difference between mental health treatments.

SO...I stand by my original post that the OP should not be helped in his efforts to circumvent his punishment as we are then usurping his parents authority to discipline their child.
    12-01-09 10:15 PM
    Ha Ha Ha Ha ... your job here is done, you have entertained me with your insecurity and defensiveness.
    Last edited by sonni_kuba; 12-01-09 at 10:26 PM.
    12-01-09 10:22 PM
    Ha Ha Ha Ha ... your job here is done, you have entertained me with your insecurity and defensiveness.
    LOL...Insecure and defensive?? Now that's a misdiagnosis if I ever saw one doc.

But I hate to break it to ya...I have had FAR more fun with this than you as I have much more practice. Think I'll change my name to the Button Master...lol.
    12-01-09 10:54 PM
    LOL...Insecure and defensive?? Now that's a misdiagnosis if I ever saw one doc.
    The fact that you are replying and denying just proves my original point. Really, you are making this too easy.

I do not want to litter this Rogers thread any further with this school yard, verbal ping-pong.

Goodbye
    12-01-09 11:43 PM
    The fact that you are replying and denying just proves my original point. Really, you are making this too easy.

I do not want to litter this Rogers thread any further with this school yard, verbal ping-pong.

Goodbye
    LMAO!! Your origianl point was that I was "angry parenting"..lol. You are so far off that now that it's really hilarious that you would claim victory. But, if it inflates your ego to think you got the best of me than I'm okay with it...because I know the truth...lol. Especially since you claimed our interaction was done, but you replied again anyway, but I'm betting you read this one too, even though you just said goodbye.

By the way...this thread was worthless to begin with, so nothing was lost in our exchange, except a few of your nerves....lol.
    12-02-09 12:05 AM
    WOW!!!
    Back on topic...
    12-02-09 06:35 AM
    Here's the solution for the OP.. If ur paying for the data/voice plan then ur dad had no right to take the data plan from u. If ur not paying for anything, be happy on what u have. Ur being punished for something, be a man and suck it up. When I was ur age, guessing 16ish, I had a nokia 5190 which I paid for and maintained.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 08:09 PM
    Here's the solution for the OP.. If ur paying for the data/voice plan then ur dad had no right to take the data plan from u. If ur not paying for anything, be happy on what u have. Ur being punished for something, be a man and suck it up. When I was ur age, guessing 16ish, I had a nokia 5190 which I paid for and maintained.

Be carefull what you say...around here at least 1 person thinks proper parenting is wrong...lol. Of course even if he pays for it, it's still his parents right to restrict it as long as he lives in their house. Of course he could find his own place and pay all his own bills in which case he can do as he pleases. I'm betting he doesn't pay the bill however.
    12-02-09 11:16 PM

jceezy's absolutely right. Hahaha my mom had a Nokia 5190, that was actually a good phone! Too bad today's cells aren't made the same anymore..
    12-03-09 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD