I saw the question posed a couple threads back, so I thought I'd drop in my two cents, since I've been down this road a FEW times (you could say) with our lovely friends at the Warranty department...

Lets get to basics, I started with the Origional Pearl...GREAT Phone, bought it brand new...December of '08...I ended up doing 5 exchanges (first one went south on me during phone calls...It would drop calls randomly even if I was stationary, then would have a TON of background static...Even if I was inside a quiet room) The other ones were sent out to me with issues, One didnt load up past the BB Screen, One wouldnt recognize my media card, and I dont remember the other issues...

FINALLY, as I was getting ready to get my 6th Pearl sent to me...The Lady on the other end of the phone had a Lightbulb come on...I remember this well, she said "Well wait a second...(LOOOOONG PAUSE) You've had us send you out 5 "replacement" Blackberry Pearl 8110's and you haven't even been given the chance to get a different phone??" She sounded really "SHOCKED" by that LOL! When I told her "Nope, And I warned the lady who sent me out my last replacement that I'd be sending this one back too...Shortly"

Needless to say, I was sent the 9000 (mind you, from what I understand, AT&T has JUST RECENTLY (within the last couple of months, or so I was told on the phone by the rep I talked with) "Testing refurbished devices before they get sent out, and they're ALSO tested at the factory." Dont know if I beleive it or not, But it had to have been true that I was getting the bottom of the barrel when it came to replacements...I Ended up going through 9 of the 9000's Before that lightbulb came on and I was Sent a 9700...

Now, I'm JUST fine and happy with the 9700, it works great, only had to get 1 replacement SO FAR (track pad quit working on me for some unknown reason, amongst it wouldnt make calls if I was in the EDGE Network...Lovely 'eh? That one was fresh out of the box!) And this Replacement looks good to go so far...

SO - Sorry for the Long post, But Sometimes you'll get the good replacements, other times...You're going to end up with the Lemons!
    Nate
    05-05-10 10:26 PM
    WOW !! If it wasnt for bad luck you would have no luck at all
    05-05-10 10:35 PM
    WOW !! If it wasnt for bad luck you would have no luck at all
    You're NOT kidding...LOL
    Nate
    05-05-10 10:35 PM
    my first blackberry from ATT was a refurb pearl 8100 a few years ago and i never had any problems with it. it still works to this day. then i bought a 9000 new and also had no problems with that for the 10 months that i had it. then i upgraded to a refurb 9700 and the 1st unit i got had the headset/speaker problem so i got a replacement that works fine. the D and G keys sometimes are hard to get to register but i dont want to call them back for another replacement.
    05-06-10 12:04 AM
    And that's where I stand with them too...I don't LIKE getting refurbs when I bought the phone brand new...
    I told the chick that if it happens again, I'm NOT going to be a happy camper
    Nate

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 03:09 PM
    I have also has similar issue with warranty phone from att, stated off with my new bold 9000, had to get a replacement dues to the battery cover not going on, then 2nd one came with dots that looked to be like oil in the screen i'm on the 3rd on thus far and all seems good however they told when I called about the second unit that I would have to purchase one with my insurance becuase I had damaged the screen and hadn't even take the phone out of the box other than to install the battery and turning it on. So be careful with refurbs.
    05-06-10 07:08 PM
    AT&T doesn't service devices for warranty distribution.

Now what I find funny is that my Bold was all but crushed in a motorcycle wreck. I've replaced everything but the keypad and the mainboard, and the only problem with it is a dodgy USB port that needs reflowed.

How on earth people go through five of them is beyond me. I mean, they're so easy to repair. All you need is a youtube video to see how.

But on topic... The phone you send back has been used by yourself. Why should you get a new one?
    05-07-10 02:31 AM
    when you BUY a new phone that goes bad, a NEW phone should replace it. When you BUY a refurbished phone that goes haywire, then a Refurbished is fine for a replacement.

Easy to go through 5 phones, when ATT sends you untested junk.
    05-07-10 05:10 PM
    I see where you are coming from MX but if you buy something with a warranty, then you should have to make no self repairs if you are inside that warranty and within the rights of said warranty.
    05-07-10 08:02 PM
    But on topic... The phone you send back has been used by yourself. Why should you get a new one?
    Simply put - I BOUGHT it brand new...I Should GET a Brand new one Back, Just my two cents...BUT Logically, A refurbished unit seems to be cheaper to send out then having them send a new phone each time one breaks...Just Sucks, I'd MUCH RATHER have a new phone, than a Busted @ss Refurb!
    05-08-10 11:54 AM
    when you BUY a new phone that goes bad, a NEW phone should replace it.
    Im with you 100%!!
    05-08-10 11:54 AM
    Then contact the manufacturer directly and seek warranty service through them.

You will, of course, need an alternate phone to use while your primary is being serviced. I recommend ebay. Do not buy unlocked phones. It is a waste of money, since unlocking anything that is not a Nokia will cost less than $3. Also, be careful buying BlackBerry phones. The people selling them SELDOM know how to clear them properly, and frequently sell them after reporting them stolen.
    05-09-10 09:52 AM
    Then contact the manufacturer directly and seek warranty service through them.

You will, of course, need an alternate phone to use while your primary is being serviced. I recommend ebay. Do not buy unlocked phones. It is a waste of money, since unlocking anything that is not a Nokia will cost less than $3. Also, be careful buying BlackBerry phones. The people selling them SELDOM know how to clear them properly, and frequently sell them after reporting them stolen.
    True -AND THAT is why I keep my old one's as Backup's in case this new one Fails
    05-09-10 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD