First off, I know this is a non-blackberry question, but folks here seem the most knowledgeable about such things so I'm throwing it out there.

My company is purchasing an aircard for me, and I have a choice of getting the service with either AT&T or Verizon. I am less concerned about speed than I am having good coverage as much as possible. I travel all over the US, and frequently to the less populate parts of the country, backwoods Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Utah, Wyoming, Kansas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and so forth. In major cities I think it's probably a wash which one will work best, but who in your opinion has the most widespread coverage? Thanks for your help.
    12-04-09 06:22 PM
    I have a Verizon card which I have been told is better than the AT&T card.

However, BroadbandAccess Rev-A is spotty even in major cities. And when connected the speed is painfully slow.

You might want to try wifi.
    12-04-09 08:06 PM
    Do they just make aircards really crappy or something? I have one through at&t that I'm definitely not keeping once the contract is up. It'll have trouble connecting to even edge in places where my blackberry has full 3g. Doesn't verizon have that "myfi" thing? Depending how you plan on using it, that might be your best bet. That connects to the network, then your laptop connects to that via your built in wifi, just like a wireless router.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-09 09:27 PM
    I would say Verizon right now.. but when AT&T completes a lot of 3G UMTS/HSPA AT&T's 3G is really the way to go, a lot of difference when its all up and working.
    12-04-09 09:38 PM
    Wifi isn't really an option. I go to a lot of customer locations where I'll be lucky to see a barn much less a wifi hotspot.
    12-05-09 09:20 AM
    In the DC Metro area we have done EXTENSIVE testing on Air Card and Air Card reliability. Verizon has blown AT&T away in all tests. We use AT&T BlackBerry devices and created a separate contract just so we can have reliable Aircards.
    12-05-09 09:26 AM
    Do they just make aircards really crappy or something? I have one through at&t that I'm definitely not keeping once the contract is up. It'll have trouble connecting to even edge in places where my blackberry has full 3g. Doesn't verizon have that "myfi" thing? Depending how you plan on using it, that might be your best bet. That connects to the network, then your laptop connects to that via your built in wifi, just like a wireless router.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I've had that problem with the crappy USB adapters they gave me with my data cards.

The built-in cards in my Dell Adamo and E4200 are a LOT faster (I believe both are Dell Wireless 5530). My assumption is that the antenna in the USB adapter sucks.
    12-05-09 11:21 AM
    I've had that problem with the crappy USB adapters they gave me with my data cards.

The built-in cards in my Dell Adamo and E4200 are a LOT faster (I believe both are Dell Wireless 5530). My assumption is that the antenna in the USB adapter sucks.
    Your Dell has a larger antenna built in to the lid, so I would expect it to get better reception than a USB adapter. For those with serious signal issues on the USB adapters, get one with an external antenna connector.
    12-05-09 11:49 AM
    I believe the Verizon 3G map and AT&T map side by side, speak for themselves.

http://erictric.com/wp-content/uploa...mapforthat.jpg

Also, Verizon will have 4G started 2 years before AT&T, so hands down, I would go with Verizon
    12-05-09 01:11 PM
    Any aircard you get now wont have LTE so that is immaterial. Since the contract is 2 years in length you can change then. Verizon has more 3G coverage, AT&T covers more miles overall. AT&T has 'faster' 3G coverage. ATT will also be going HSPA+ before VZW rolls out its LTE network as well.
    12-05-09 01:13 PM
    Right, I meant you can upgrade when the time comes. But, no Verizon covers more miles and area with 3G than AT&T, on voice coverage, its about the same, but really that doesnt matter for an aircard, I would rather be on 3G than EDGE most of the time, even if AT&T's network is slightly faster, I have used AT&T for data before, the difference is not even noticable. And seeing as AT&T is taking forever on their current 3G network, there is no telling how long it will take for them to get HSPA+ out.
    12-05-09 01:33 PM
    HSPA+, the plan from AT&T is to roll it out to all current 3G towers at the same time. HSPA+ will come faster than LTE will nation wide.

When i said AT&T covers more miles, I am speaking of their EDGE/HSDPA network, not voice.
    12-05-09 01:38 PM
    my company used att&t, sprint and Verizon. I am currently using the Mifi from Verizon. its wireless and Fantastic, even in the most "country" areas I have coverage
    12-05-09 01:58 PM
    HSPA+, the plan from AT&T is to roll it out to all current 3G towers at the same time. HSPA+ will come faster than LTE will nation wide.

When i said AT&T covers more miles, I am speaking of their EDGE/HSDPA network, not voice.

We'll see.

and EDGE, maybe, but HSPDA, by no means is AT&T larger than anyone buy T-Mobile
    12-05-09 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD