ok so my girlfriend has an upgrade available she can use, would it be possible for her to use it an get a storm 2 but then switch back to a normal phone an just give me the storm to use. would verizon make a big deal about her going back to a regular plan an what not?? thanks
    02-23-10 11:54 AM
    nope. They won't care. She'll just have an extended contract and the new $350 etf. Just be sure her device isn't on the 3G multimedia list cause they may try to make her add a data package when she tries to reactivate the old one.
    02-23-10 11:55 AM
    I don't think it will work that easily without your GF incurring a hefty $350 fee for effectively canceling her contract (which is what you would be doing if you reverted the plan back to normal). The upgrade price including renewing the service is based on them getting that money back over the life of the new service contract. That's how they're able to offer a new phone w/plan for a much reduced cost compared to just buying the phone. Kill that service and they don't get their money back and they're going to go after the customer to reclaim that cost.
    02-23-10 12:03 PM
    ok thanks alot for the fast response
    02-23-10 12:05 PM
    What you can do is go ahead and have her get a Storm 2, order through the online store so you don't have to do a MIR, when you get the phone, call in and have us walk her through the ESC IVR. Make sure to use option 2 at the end so you activate the phone later, that puts the contract extension and new etf on your girlfriend's line and then we can switch the MEID and put the Storm 2 on your line.

No muss, no fuss.
    02-23-10 12:07 PM
    I don't think it will work that easily without your GF incurring a hefty $350 fee for effectively canceling her contract (which is what you would be doing if you reverted the plan back to normal). The upgrade price including renewing the service is based on them getting that money back over the life of the new service contract. That's how they're able to offer a new phone w/plan for a much reduced cost compared to just buying the phone. Kill that service and they don't get their money back and they're going to go after the customer to reclaim that cost.
    They don't care. The data features go with the phone and aren't part of the contract. You can buy a smartphone and activate a dumbphone on the line to drop the data package and sell it if you really want. You only run into the ETF if you want to cancel your service.
    Last edited by PJnc284; 02-23-10 at 12:13 PM.
    02-23-10 12:10 PM
    they wont care at all
    02-23-10 12:49 PM
    Data is a feature not part of any contract.
    There are phones that have a "must carry" data feature but you are not bound o have data in any Verizon contract.
    02-23-10 01:05 PM
    the ETF is for "terminating" the contract not switching devices. Even if the GF's phone is a Razr, as long as the account is not cancelled there is no ETF.
    02-23-10 11:02 PM
    ok so this shouldnt be an issue then right, even if we change the plan up an the phone like the next day...also i would be getting the storm unlocked an using it on att
    02-24-10 01:23 AM
    I'll certainly be interested to here the end result. Let us know.
    02-24-10 08:22 AM
    It won't be a problem guaranteed. He can do the switch the same day his gf gets the Storm 2 if he wants. I did something similar with the Droid BOGO. Got the free droid, deactivated it and put the old phone back on. Now I have one as a spare. No issues whatsoever getting it done.
    02-24-10 09:18 AM
    Usually I get two or three activations like this a week, it's easy, and completely within the T&C. The line that was eligible for an upgrade, gets the contract extension and new ETF. At that point, VZW no longer cares what you do with the phone. The ESC IVR with option 2 at the end I referenced above allows you to accept T&C for the contract extension without having to switch the ESN/MEID for the line that ordered the phone originally. It really is that simple.
    02-24-10 11:35 AM
    @ DocHavoc:

From the sound of your posts, I'll hazard to guess that you work for Verizon CS? If so, could you tell me if my old EnV (1st generation) is on the list of phones that will incur that new $10 data pack if I do this? My 3rd line is due for upgrade in just over a month and I'll be getting a storm 2 (for free!) through walmart. The 3rd line is for my mothers phone, and she has no interest in a blackberry, so I'll be using it instead. Do you foresee any issues with this?
    02-24-10 12:00 PM
    It is not a breach of contract. Data can be removed any time if you change phones. She just won't be able to upgrade for 20 months...that's all.

Although, her contract will have the new $350 EFT since she "upgraded" to an advanced device even though she reactivated her old phone on it again. So if she does decide to cancel before her contract dates, she will be subject to the higher ETF even though she doesn't have the advanced equipment anymore.

PS. POST 1000 for me!
    Last edited by markhunsaker; 02-24-10 at 12:14 PM.
    02-24-10 12:09 PM
    @ DocHavoc:

From the sound of your posts, I'll hazard to guess that you work for Verizon CS? If so, could you tell me if my old EnV (1st generation) is on the list of phones that will incur that new $10 data pack if I do this? My 3rd line is due for upgrade in just over a month and I'll be getting a storm 2 (for free!) through walmart. The 3rd line is for my mothers phone, and she has no interest in a blackberry, so I'll be using it instead. Do you foresee any issues with this?
    The new data only happens if you are upgrading to a new device. My wife has the EnV3 and we got it days before the manditory data was forced. If you are putting old equipment on, it is not required.
    02-24-10 12:12 PM
    Once again, thank you mark! I just wanted to be sure that they wouldn't force me to add something my mom will NEVER use. She rarely uses the cell at all. Mainly for emergencies. I really can't wait now! Oh, by the way, people who are wanting to upgrade should definitely check out the walmart site. Some of their phones pay YOU after MIR. Pearl Flip for -$250 anybody???
    02-24-10 12:17 PM
    @ DocHavoc:

You're fine, the original EnV doesn't require the data plan.
    02-24-10 02:25 PM
    Once again, thank you mark! I just wanted to be sure that they wouldn't force me to add something my mom will NEVER use. She rarely uses the cell at all. Mainly for emergencies. I really can't wait now! Oh, by the way, people who are wanting to upgrade should definitely check out the walmart site. Some of their phones pay YOU after MIR. Pearl Flip for -$250 anybody???
    Only caveat I would give concerning Wal-Mart is this: if you plan to purchase from them, I suggest doing it online after doing your research/homework. I've had far too many customers who were misled by Wal-Mart store reps.

And, you should always do your research on what you're getting into with any long term commitment, like a cell phone contract.
    02-24-10 02:34 PM
    Only caveat I would give concerning Wal-Mart is this: if you plan to purchase from them, I suggest doing it online after doing your research/homework. I've had far too many customers who were misled by Wal-Mart store reps.

And, you should always do your research on what you're getting into with any long term commitment, like a cell phone contract.
    Oh, I definitely intended to do it online, as our local Super Walmart doesn't carry anything better than the 8530, and I guess I could stop saying it's walmart, since they actually just sell their phones through letstalk.com. As far as I can tell, I haven't seen any weird limitations. If you or anyone else know of anything that could cause problems, please tell me!
    02-24-10 03:43 PM
    Wow, they JUST changed the price on their site and walmart.com back to $129. Hopefully it'll be on sale again when I can upgrade!
    02-24-10 04:04 PM
    There is fine print for MIRs...you do not qualify IF the price of the phone is LOWER than the rebate. My sister in law got an EnV3 from a 3rd party dealer and cost her 15 bucks. She tried to send in the $50 MIR and Verizon denied it nicely and showed her in the terms and conditions of the MIRs that if the rebate is higher than what you paid for the phone, you don't qualify.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I would stay away from the Pearl Flip, it was just released on the end of life list for devices from Verizon.
    02-24-10 04:17 PM
    There is fine print for MIRs...you do not qualify IF the price of the phone is LOWER than the rebate. My sister in law got an EnV3 from a 3rd party dealer and cost her 15 bucks. She tried to send in the $50 MIR and Verizon denied it nicely and showed her in the terms and conditions of the MIRs that if the rebate is higher than what you paid for the phone, you don't qualify.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I would stay away from the Pearl Flip, it was just released on the end of life list for devices from Verizon.
    Haha, those sneaky punks! It's funny because they even said on their site "you make $250" before they changed their prices today. Basically I'll be either buying from the letstalk site or here on crackberry, depending on who is cheaper when I can upgrade. Right now, it's crackberry, since the storm 2 is $1.99.
    02-24-10 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD