So yesterday I bought my daughter a Samsung Intensity. This is her first-ever phone. We are on a family share plan w/ 1400 minutes w/ unlimited text messaging and 2 BB data plans (for my husband's and my Tours).

When we were in the store, I specifically asked if her sending picture messages uses data and he said no, that it would just be counted as a text/pic message. But I did not ask if sending her a ringtone would count as data.

So, just so I don't end up with a ginormous bill, can you guys tell me if text/pix/ringtones all count as part of my unlimited text plan, or do I need to consider adding a data plan for her?

Thanks so much for your help!
    07-11-10 07:53 PM
    I send my kids ringtones as texts all the time. I download them from crackberry to my bold and then text them to their intensity. They all show up as text. You can have them block data on that phone too then you have nothing to worry about! Text away!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 08:02 PM
    If the ringtone is small enough to fit in a MMS you're fine.
    07-11-10 09:54 PM
    Why do people come on here with questions asking the "internet kids" questions instead of asking or listening to the rep in the store? We get paid to know the correct answers that customers ask, thats our job.

Instead threads like this turn into bantar going back and forth because 2 people that read a blog about it disagree.
    07-13-10 09:40 AM
    Why do people come on here with questions asking the "internet kids" questions instead of asking or listening to the rep in the store? We get paid to know the correct answers that customers ask, thats our job.

Instead threads like this turn into bantar going back and forth because 2 people that read a blog about it disagree.
    because sadly, even though we get paid to know these correct answers there are many who still give out erroneous answers to many customers. Ive been surprised how many customers ive had come in with either Customer service or other store reps telling them something that is simply not true.
    07-13-10 09:44 AM

I have found most in-store reps to be quite knowledgeable, I have also encountered reps who don't seem to not take their job too seriously and just pull answers to questions out of the air.

The fact is that as long as there are horror stories out there of folks getting hit up with outrageous data bills, people are gonna want to double-check the facts before do anything.

To the OP, as long as it can be sent via MMS, you should be fine.
    07-13-10 09:51 AM
    Who disagreed with who? I for one am speaking from personal experience. I agree with your point on asking the rep in the store, but I don't know of a store that is open at 9pm (her post time). I think your response was a little grouchy. Have a cup of coffee and take a breath.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-13-10 09:51 AM
    What I get confused with is if you can block web, vcast, etc., and still allow MMS through.

I am not sure I have figured out the right combo of blocks to do it.

I would like to let my daughter do MMS/Pix messages on her 250 plan (or maybe that is only for SMS), but still block accidental usage of WEB stuff.....
    07-13-10 10:16 AM
    What I get confused with is if you can block web, vcast, etc., and still allow MMS through.

I would like to let my daughter do MMS/Pix messages on her 250 plan (or maybe that is only for SMS), but still block accidental usage of WEB stuff.....
    As long as blocks are allowed on the phone you use, just add Web Block.
    07-13-10 10:23 AM

Nope. I think once you block any data you block it all.
    07-13-10 10:27 AM
    Nope. I think once you block any data you block it all.
    Incorrect. You can block any number of features without stopping picture messaging including web access, app downloads, sms subscription services (9.99/month for ringtones or whatever), etc. Call customer service and ask specifically what you don't want your daughter to be able to do and they will be more than happy to go over your blocking options. 1-800-922-0204 or *611 from your Verizon mobile phone.
    07-13-10 11:17 AM
    Ah. It's different on Verizon then.
    07-13-10 01:38 PM
    because sadly, even though we get paid to know these correct answers there are many who still give out erroneous answers to many customers. Ive been surprised how many customers ive had come in with either Customer service or other store reps telling them something that is simply not true.
    Customers lie, when someone wants something they will lie about being at a different store and being told exactly what they are trying to do. If a rep gives out totally incorrect information, they wont have a job very long.

Ah. It's different on Verizon then.
    This is what i meant in my first post in this thread. People that dont know what they are talking about start giving incorrect information and it goes back and forth.
    07-13-10 03:58 PM
    Customers lie, when someone wants something they will lie about being at a different store and being told exactly what they are trying to do. If a rep gives out totally incorrect information, they wont have a job very long.

I'm sure that's true, but c'mon! Like I said in my previous post, most of the store reps I've encountered have been very knowlegable and helpful, but some, as I said, just don't seem to really care.

When I bought my very first S1, I asked the rep in the store if I'd be able to transfer my contacts using VZW Backup Assistant, which I had used to back up my contacts list on my previous LG phone (which was no longer operational). He gave me an emphatic "YES", and I left the store happy I wouldn't have to do too much work to get my contacts transferred. Guess what? Get my Blackberry home, and I can't find Backup Assistant anywhere, or find anyway to install it. A quick Google search give me the correct info, that Backup Assistant would not work with a BB (or several other smart phones). [and yes, I realize that BA is available for BB now, but it wasn't at the time]

It wasn't that big of a deal, since I was going to need to update a lot more info anyway moving over to a BB, but still, it is an example of a sales rep giving incorrect information. It wasn't his fault that it didn't work, but it would have been nice if he would have at least checked first before just saying, "yup, no problem". (and who knows? Maybe this guy didn't have a job very long).

Point is, I can understand why folks may want to be absolutely sure about something, especially when, as in the case of the OP, it could mean having to pay $$$ in unwanted charges. You shouldn't take it too personally.
    07-13-10 04:13 PM

This is what i meant in my first post in this thread. People that dont know what they are talking about start giving incorrect information and it goes back and forth.
    It was all or nothing with data on Alltel.
    07-13-10 05:48 PM
    A data block will block MMS.
    MMS is not counted as additional data but blocking data blocks MMS.
    07-13-10 06:56 PM

I simply asked a question that I forgot to ask in the store. No need for you to get bent out of shape over it. If you didn't like the question in my thread, then don't read it.

For those of you that answered my question, thank you for your help.
    07-13-10 07:12 PM
    I love my Verizon. Just my two cents...
    07-13-10 07:42 PM
    A data block will block MMS.
    MMS is not counted as additional data but blocking data blocks MMS.
    I repeat: incorrect. A data block will not block MMS.
    07-13-10 09:12 PM
    I repeat: incorrect. A data block will not block MMS.
    A complete data block like the National Access Data Block WILL block MMS. Like others have mentioned, there are specific blocks like Web, App Download and Premium SMS blocks that won't block MMS... But if you "block data," the phone won't be able to send or receive an MMS.

It was all or nothing with data on Alltel.
    Nope.
    07-14-10 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD