Hi everyone, first time poster, but long time lurker and participating member at other forums. I do know how the search button works as well.

Currently I am waiting on the Curve to come back in-stock, but I am unfamiliar with BlackBerrys on the whole.

I spoke to one of my associates recently and informed him that I intended on purchasing an 8330 for the Sprint network. He has a Sprint non-BB smartphone and told me that the only problem with them is that once you pay for the Simply Everything plan, you still have to pay for "BlackBerry's Service". I think WTF.

He then tells me that RIM charges an additional charge on top of the Sprint data plan that you pay if you want to access BlackBerry services.

A little digging and it appears to be the case with other providers. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case for Sprint? I thought I could just pay $69 or $99 for all inclusive (450min/unl, respectively) then later add a $10 voice line for my wife when her contract expires. I understand that plans change and MMMV, but I don't intend on paying $70 or $100 PLUS a subscription to BlackBerry's services.

I've went through the SE posts of late, as well as any plan discussions that turned up in my search, but I only went back to November 07 as I think that any info older than 6 mos. may not reflect current plan options.

Thanks in advance!
    06-15-08 02:46 PM
    If you get the $99 everything plan, the bbs is included .
    06-15-08 03:12 PM
    Only BIS is included. If you're wanting to connect to a corporate server that requires BES which is not included.
    06-15-08 03:15 PM
    If you get any SEP plan, the BIS is included.
    06-15-08 03:25 PM
    Thanks everyone, that's what I needed to know.

I thought this was the case, but I read a post from a Sprint subscriber that said he paid for BIS and I got worried.

Thanks again!
    06-15-08 03:34 PM
    Actually, does anyone know what BES costs to add to a Sprint plan? I currently don't need it, but I may need to connect to the corporate server in the future.
    06-15-08 03:35 PM
    No additional charge. When you have a BB plan you can use both if your company has a BES. When setting up phones for customers, I have never added anything extra for BES. Its a feature that you have the option to use. It is an expense of your company's...
    06-15-08 03:47 PM
    No additional charge. When you have a BB plan you can use both if your company has a BES. When setting up phones for customers, I have never added anything extra for BES. Its a feature that you have the option to use. It is an expense of your company's...
    Actually to connect to a BES server, you do have to pay an additional amount. It is $20 additional to add the Enterprise server option.
    06-15-08 04:05 PM
    Aleano75 is correct there is the extra charge for BES, I thought it was $30 though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-08 04:22 PM
    That ^ should have read incorrect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-08 04:25 PM
    I just checked sprints website before i gave that price, and that's what it says on there. You can either do that, or not get a SEP, and go with the 39.99 BES package. Not sure if it includes text messaging though.
    06-15-08 04:55 PM
    I had two different Sprint reps tell me there was a $30 adder to the SEP plans for the Blackberry. I did my own research prior to talking with them and knew this wasn't the case for the BIS, yet they still insisted until I told them that I didn't believe that was the case for the BIS, only the BES. They then looked and said, yeah you're right. Seems like this confusion is pretty widespread throughout the Sprint staff, or that's the play book they're working from to try to sell a $30 plan that is unnecessary for people just wanting the BIS and not aware of the difference.
    06-15-08 05:31 PM
    I hope this isn't the case, sprint just called me last week to update my account, and changed my plan to the SEP 450 I better not get charged more than the 69.99 they told me! lol
    06-15-08 06:13 PM
    I had two different Sprint reps tell me there was a $30 adder to the SEP plans for the Blackberry. I did my own research prior to talking with them and knew this wasn't the case for the BIS, yet they still insisted until I told them that I didn't believe that was the case for the BIS, only the BES. They then looked and said, yeah you're right. Seems like this confusion is pretty widespread throughout the Sprint staff, or that's the play book they're working from to try to sell a $30 plan that is unnecessary for people just wanting the BIS and not aware of the difference.
    That would explain what I've been hearing from my friends.

Why am I NOT shocked that this is happening?

Thanks, everyone, for the responses!
    06-15-08 09:11 PM
    Actually, does anyone know what BES costs to add to a Sprint plan? I currently don't need it, but I may need to connect to the corporate server in the future.
    When I got my BB about a month ago, the rep put the $30/mo BIS plan on my account (I'm not a Simply Everything subscriber as I'm on a family plan). I kept trying to do the Enterprise Activation and failing. I ended up doing a chat with a Sprint CSR who told me the plan on my account didn't support the enterprise service and I could only get that if I switched to Simply Everything w/a $10/mo BlackBerry addon. I told her I didn't like that answer being that I was on a family plan and disconnected. I called customer service and they switched me from the BIS plan for $30/mo to the BES plan for $39.99/mo (though it doesn't include unlimited text messaging or navigation like the BIS plan did).

So with those two sets up numbers coming pretty close to matching, I'd say the $10/mo sounds correct. Of course, with all things Sprint, it depends which CSR you talk to (which my story proves).
    06-16-08 02:35 PM
    So with those two sets up numbers coming pretty close to matching, I'd say the $10/mo sounds correct. Of course, with all things Sprint, it depends which CSR you talk to (which my story proves).
    OK, ignore that. I just went back and looked at the transcript they emailed me and it says:
    In order to receive the Enterprise server it is required that you have the Simply Everything plan with the $20 add on for the server.
    So while it may not be definitive, that's what I was told .
    06-16-08 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD