Hey, so I'm in need of another job, and I was looking at all the cell carriers around me because I know way too much about phones not to be making money from it.

I noticed a T-Mobile store in my town was looking for a retail position. I was wondering if I should apply online, or if it would be better to show up and ask about it? If so, what should my strategy be? Ask for a manager?
    01-12-10 08:09 PM
    Getting a position depends on what sort of relevant work experience you have.

Important questions to consider:

- Do you have sales experience?
    - How much customer service experience do you have?
    - Are you prepared to have someone lose their temper on you for something that you had nothing to do with?
    - When you say "another job" do you mean a second job? That may be tricky to fit in.

Ultimately, all applications have to be submitted online, then you have to take an assessment. If you pass the assessment, then you could see about possibly talking to the manager.

Some other things that are important to consider: Knowing about phones doesn't matter as much as you may think. It also doesn't mean you can sell phones and make money from them.
    01-13-10 02:41 AM
    I have never had a sales position.....but you have to start somewhere haha.....I would also look into seeing if they have any tech openings.

I'm 21 (going to school) and have two jobs already. However, due to the nature of my second job I rarely get any hours during the school year.

My first job is working the counter at a pizza place Sat/Sun. No biggie, but it does give me experience in dealing with customers, and you'd be surprised how mad some people can get for no reason haha.

My second job is with a technology camp (teaching video game creation, digital art/video, robotics, etc). I've been doing it for 3 years now. During the summer we run week long camps, and during the school year we run after school programs (but like I said, I don't get many).

For the first 2 years I was an instructor at the camps (with other instructors/under a director). This past summer I was a director myself. I've also handled the call center for the head office (helping franchise owners with sales/answering inquiries about the camp).

Maybe I am overvaluing myself, but while I don't have sales experience, I feel that the experience I do have shows a lot of responsibility (ability to teach information, lead others, interact with parents, etc.) and I have a boss who would gladly attest to it.

The job opening seemed to be seasonal, which is fine with me because once the summer comes I'll have hours again so we can just wait and see what happens longer term with this one.

EDIT: When I talked about the responsibilities, I realize they have nothing to do with selling phones, but I think they are easily transferable. Maybe talking to parents about the camp isn't like selling a phone, but I'm one of the few employees who realizes my job is based on kids signing up, and take serious action to make sure they do haha.

EDIT 2: Applied online and did the assessment thing, let's see what happens.
    Last edited by gpgorbosjr; 01-13-10 at 10:34 AM.
    01-13-10 09:19 AM
    I have never had a sales position.....but you have to start somewhere haha.....I would also look into seeing if they have any tech openings.

My first job is working the counter at a pizza place Sat/Sun. No biggie, but it does give me experience in dealing with customers, and you'd be surprised how mad some people can get for no reason haha.

My second job is with a technology camp (teaching video game creation, digital art/video, robotics, etc). I've been doing it for 3 years now. During the summer we run week long camps, and during the school year we run after school programs (but like I said, I don't get many).

Maybe I am overvaluing myself, but while I don't have sales experience, I feel that the experience I do have shows a lot of responsibility (ability to teach information, lead others, interact with parents, etc.) and I have a boss who would gladly attest to it.

The job opening seemed to be seasonal, which is fine with me because once the summer comes I'll have hours again so we can just wait and see what happens longer term with this one.

EDIT: When I talked about the responsibilities, I realize they have nothing to do with selling phones, but I think they are easily transferable. Maybe talking to parents about the camp isn't like selling a phone, but I'm one of the few employees who realizes my job is based on kids signing up, and take serious action to make sure they do haha.

EDIT 2: Applied online and did the assessment thing, let's see what happens.
    Please do not take offense to anything I say here, as I don't mean it to be rude.

I've worked in a variety of food establishments in my life, including three different pizza places, five different fast food restaurants, and four different full service restaurants. People are much more prone to losing their temper in a phone store, because so many people have come to depend on their phones for communication. The problem with this position is that many people fail to grasp the concept that the person in the store did not cause the problem with the phone. I've had to kick people out of my store on more occasions than I care to admit, because they are simply disrespectful. This is something you need to consider, because not everyone handles confrontation well.

T-Mobile does not have any in-store tech positions. The sales reps should be trained in basic support and troubleshooting, but bigger problems go through our PDA department. Your job in a retail store is sales and basic support.

What you said about getting people to sign up is good. This shows you have a sense of urgency. While we do have sales goals, T-Mobile is far from the slave driver stereotype that some other places may be. Because it is commission based, you sell more, you make more. This leads some inexperienced people to say whatever is necessary to get a sale. This is often short-lived though, because lying to someone means they come back upset once they learn the truth, and don't refer anyone else to you. You have to balance between sales and making people happy.

The skills you list are very relevant. When I train people, I always tell them I can teach them about phones, but I can't teach them how to relate to people. If you have people skills, I can teach you to sell.

I see a lot of people in my store who want to do my job, but I feel that most have no concept of what's entailed. People come in, in ripped jeans and slippers, and say "Hey, are y'all hiring? I need a second job in the mornings". It doesn't work that way.

If the position was listed as seasonal, I have a feeling it is an old posing that just was not closed properly. All our seasonal hiring was finished the first week of December.

If there are any questions I can answer for you, please let me know.
    01-13-10 04:01 PM
    To NorrisCell,
    Not in any way looking for job but always enjoy reading your thoughtful posts. Glad you are here to inform us, the unwashed.
    Doc
    01-13-10 05:04 PM
    Please do not take offense to anything I say here, as I don't mean it to be rude.

I've worked in a variety of food establishments in my life, including three different pizza places, five different fast food restaurants, and four different full service restaurants. People are much more prone to losing their temper in a phone store, because so many people have come to depend on their phones for communication. The problem with this position is that many people fail to grasp the concept that the person in the store did not cause the problem with the phone. I've had to kick people out of my store on more occasions than I care to admit, because they are simply disrespectful. This is something you need to consider, because not everyone handles confrontation well.

T-Mobile does not have any in-store tech positions. The sales reps should be trained in basic support and troubleshooting, but bigger problems go through our PDA department. Your job in a retail store is sales and basic support.

What you said about getting people to sign up is good. This shows you have a sense of urgency. While we do have sales goals, T-Mobile is far from the slave driver stereotype that some other places may be. Because it is commission based, you sell more, you make more. This leads some inexperienced people to say whatever is necessary to get a sale. This is often short-lived though, because lying to someone means they come back upset once they learn the truth, and don't refer anyone else to you. You have to balance between sales and making people happy.

The skills you list are very relevant. When I train people, I always tell them I can teach them about phones, but I can't teach them how to relate to people. If you have people skills, I can teach you to sell.

I see a lot of people in my store who want to do my job, but I feel that most have no concept of what's entailed. People come in, in ripped jeans and slippers, and say "Hey, are y'all hiring? I need a second job in the mornings". It doesn't work that way.

If the position was listed as seasonal, I have a feeling it is an old posing that just was not closed properly. All our seasonal hiring was finished the first week of December.

If there are any questions I can answer for you, please let me know.
    Haha, no dude, I don't expect working at a pizza place to prepare me for the confrontation I may find at a phone store, but that is the least of my worries.

I am the type of person who doesn't sweat confrontation and I have very thick skin. Also, I have actually faced confrontation at the tech camp in regards to parents not feeling their children are getting what they deserve, or actual disputes between children that have arose. And while phones are much more important than pizza, children are WAY more important to most parents than phones.

I actually got my FIRST lesson on how *not* to sell phones at a Sprint store today haha. The guy started off good by asking the chick what kind of phone she was interested in all, and she said touch screen, then when she realized the Hero was too expensive for her taste he was basiclaly like "well we have the Instinct for $50 after rebate"....she plays with it a minute...."well, that's the last one, want to wrap this up now?"....was like w...t.....h haha.

Like I said, I submitted an application, let's see what happens. I tried looking at other carrier's stores around me and none had openings. Maybe I'll get lucky, if not, I'm still trying to get another job somewhere haha.
    01-13-10 09:20 PM
    BTW, thanks for the responses. You've given me some good things to think about. While they are challenges I think I could handle, they are challenges nonetheless, and worthy of my time haha. I'll probably have more questions if they give me a call.
    01-13-10 09:41 PM
    To NorrisCell,
    Not in any way looking for job but always enjoy reading your thoughtful posts. Glad you are here to inform us, the unwashed.
    Doc
    Much appreciated. You are far from unwashed though, heh
    01-15-10 01:13 AM
    I actually got my FIRST lesson on how *not* to sell phones at a Sprint store today haha. The guy started off good by asking the chick what kind of phone she was interested in all, and she said touch screen, then when she realized the Hero was too expensive for her taste he was basiclaly like "well we have the Instinct for $50 after rebate"....she plays with it a minute...."well, that's the last one, want to wrap this up now?"....was like w...t.....h haha.
    Wow, that's simultaneously sad and funny at the same time. I see what he was going for, but he was NOT in the right situation to use that technique.

You seem to have a good understanding of how to interact with people, which is the number one thing you should leverage if you get an interview. If a week or so goes by without a call, it may be worth your time to try and contact the manager at one of the stores. From what I know, applications tend to get lost in the sea if they aren't checked every day by the store. It took me almost a year to get an interview with T-Mobile, despite having sold their products at an indirect dealer for years.

Good luck with your quest. I hope you get the chance to prove yourself. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    01-15-10 01:23 AM
    To NorrisCell,
    Doc
    Norris is consistently one of the best-quality posters on CrackBerry.
    01-15-10 10:29 AM
    Norris is consistently one of the best-quality posters on CrackBerry.
    Thanks for the compliment. You always seem to be on top of your game as well.
    01-16-10 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD