Hi I am soon switching to at&t, and am completely torn between the 3gs and the 9700, but it looks like I'm going to be going with the iphone, simply due to the fact that I'm on a family plan, so it's easier if there are 3 iphones instead of a mix. I am wondering, if I do pick up a blackberry, does anyone have any experience owning both devices, and can tell me how difficult it is to switch in between them. Is it even possible, due to the fact that an iphone requires an entirely different data plan?
    Thanks very much.
    10-05-09 10:57 PM
    It doesn't matter if u have 3 BB's, iPhones or a mix. You also won't have an issue with switching ur sim cards between phones every now and then. Good luck and welcome to AT&T.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-09 11:06 PM
    No problems, even with the data plan, voice, and contract?
    10-05-09 11:15 PM
    I was curious about this as well. How easy is it to switch between BB and iPhone data plans?
    10-06-09 05:46 AM
    You will now have to play data plan tag. When you insert your sim into a new smartphone, the appropriate data plan will automatically be added to your account (if it isn't there already). As far as I have seen, they have no provision for automatically removing the old plan so it is possible to be paying for two expensive data plans at the same time.

Just remember that BIS requires you to set up an account online. If it is removed, your account is eliminated and will need set up again.
    10-06-09 08:38 AM
    Have fun with that touch screen texting...that **** is for the birds. to give you a little insight on the Iphone and its REP as a GOOD device, think to yourself, how was the iphone released in July 2007 yet had no picture messaging service until September 2009? even the free phones had picture messaging. and now they come up with this "Ping" program to compete with the user friendliness and community togetherness of the Blackberry. Do yourself a favor, save the money, stick with BB, and while your add it sell all your family plan Iphones and switch them over as well. You'll thank yourself later.
    10-06-09 08:55 AM
    You will now have to play data plan tag. When you insert your sim into a new smartphone, the appropriate data plan will automatically be added to your account (if it isn't there already). As far as I have seen, they have no provision for automatically removing the old plan so it is possible to be paying for two expensive data plans at the same time.

Just remember that BIS requires you to set up an account online. If it is removed, your account is eliminated and will need set up again.
    This is not true. I used a blackberry for almost a year without a data plan.
    10-06-09 08:58 AM
    This is not true. I used a blackberry for almost a year without a data plan.
    ATT just changed their policy to require data plans on most smartphones.
    10-06-09 11:21 AM
    10-06-09 12:33 PM
    ATT just changed their policy to require data plans on most smartphones.
    AT&T requires data plans on all smartphones now if your sim card was put in to it after September 6th.

Back to the thread topic. Get a BB, I say this because I actively carry a 8900 and iPhone, but recently got the iPhone and signal wise and overall function of the phone does not compare to a BB.
    10-06-09 01:08 PM
    My wife has the iPhone and loves it. She had the 8310 and it was okay, but she would NEVER go back to a BB.

Me, on the other hand, like many things about the iPhone, but am sold on the Bold for now. Some things about the bold I just can't give up. The biggest would be the bedside mode. Nothing like it on the iPhone.

So, you could do well with either one.

Michael
    10-06-09 04:49 PM
    I have both the iPhone and a BB 8900. I use the BB daily with a BB plan and use the iPhone on wifi. The other day I put the sim in my iPhone for a few hours. When I went to OLAM today, the picture of my phone was the iPhone but I am still on the BB plan. They certainly recognized that I had the sim in the iPhone but did not change my plan.
    10-07-09 11:05 AM
    I have both the iPhone and a BB 8900. I use the BB daily with a BB plan and use the iPhone on wifi. The other day I put the sim in my iPhone for a few hours. When I went to OLAM today, the picture of my phone was the iPhone but I am still on the BB plan. They certainly recognized that I had the sim in the iPhone but did not change my plan.
    this is my concern. i have an iphone and a bold. i used that custom APN profile (a sticky on the iPhone subforums) that everyone claims will allow me to use my $30 personal blackberry data plan on my iPhone with no problem.

I'm so paranoid that every couple of hours i check my att account online. its the same as you, it has a picture of my iphone, gives me options of different iphone data plans, but it lists my $30 bb data plan as my feature.

So hopefully this means the custom APN profile trick worked.

any input anyone?
    11-27-09 01:11 PM
    I have gone back and forth with an extra iphone my daughter has. It is a problem but has a workaround. Don't switch data plans, just keep everything on the BB plan. You can get phonefusion or youmail for visual voice mail and there is a site that will let you manually put in APN settings on the iphone.

Unlockit - APN Changer for your iPhone
    12-01-09 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD