I just got an 8830 through verizon. I had previously been using an 8703 through sprint, and had yahoo messenger and jive talk for messaging. With those, I didn't need a specifc text plan, I believe it just worked out to be like you were just on the internet, which was unlimited with the blackberry plan. On the verizon phone i have downloaded yahoo and there is mobile IM on there as well. does this mobile IM run off officially text messages though? The mobile IM mentioned about text charges etc but I didnt know if that was meant for if your using it from a regular phone etc and dont have the blackberry package. Just wanted to see how it works for those of you with verizon becuase I dont want to be on yahoo all day etc and all of a sudden get 15 cents a minute for every single yahoo message Ive sent :-)
    02-23-08 02:32 AM
    You may want to call Verizon to be sure about that. I can't really answer that question because I have unlimited all the way around except for the calling plan. From my past experiences though, the messenger would fall under your unlimited data plan and shouldn't incur any charges. As I've said before, call Verizon to be sure. I hope I was some help to you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-08 04:47 AM
    Verizon's Mobile IM uses SMS, not data.

If you got Yahoo Messenger from BlackBerry site or Yahoo site, you'll be fine using data.

JiveTalk is best all around. Why use Yahoo Messenger if you can use it on JiveTalk?

By the way, you can delete Mobile IM if you don't want to use it.
    02-23-08 05:05 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. Do any of you have the 29.99 blackberry package? I'm looking at the brochure but can't figure out if these blackberry packages are unlimited data. All it mentions is email and web. Since the actual yahoo messenger and jive talk use data, do the blackberry packages automatically have unlimited data?
    02-24-08 12:22 AM
    The 29.99 is unlimited data! So yea Jive talk and yahoo would use data!
    02-24-08 12:25 AM
    I have the $29.99 plan and it is unlimited.
    02-24-08 12:26 AM
    Thanks again, I wasnt sure cuz when i was looking at the account online, it keeps track of how much data. Thanks! :-)
    02-24-08 12:43 AM
    Hi, I just got a verizon 8830 WE in NYC and the IM is part of my text usage, I just asked them that last night, I only get 250 texts for $5 you can buy more, and addtion to the I have the $29.99 email & web plan. I'm trying to figure out if I would you google chat , I think that would not be text because your using it off a web site. but I'm trying to see if I would beable to get it on my 8830.
    02-24-08 07:45 AM
    Hi, I just got a verizon 8830 WE in NYC and the IM is part of my text usage, I just asked them that last night, I only get 250 texts for $5 you can buy more, and addtion to the I have the $29.99 email & web plan. I'm trying to figure out if I would you google chat , I think that would not be text because your using it off a web site. but I'm trying to see if I would beable to get it on my 8830.
    Hi Jack,

Pretty much the only application that actually uses SMS is Verizon's Mobile IM. Programs like JiveTalk, Ramble, and others use data instead. So you should not be using SMS or any of your 250 messages for these programs.

Paul
    02-24-08 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD