I'm new here and I have search the board for an answer to my questions, but couldn't find anything.

I have an unlocked Bold 9000 that is currently not activated on any carrier. It is straight from RIM and I do not think that it is branded for any specific carrier.

I went into a BellWorld store to pick up a SIM card (pumped about the new network!), but the sales person told me that while voice and SMS would work, data services may not as the BB was not from Bell. Sure enough we tried it with a test SIM card and she was right.

That didn't make any sense to me, so I called customer service the next day and tech service said that data should work on it and that they were just having issues with it in the couple days after launch.

Should I be able to get data on my Bold? Should I get a SIM card and a plan and just hope that it works?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    11-09-09 08:15 AM
    Yes, there is no reason that the data will not work, with the exception that the PIN has been disabled. Your best bet it talking to data support at 1877-DATA123.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 10:04 AM
    Also, I have a contact at Bell that can offer voice plans uncomparable to anything else you can get. he is my small business contact and a great guy. Email me if you are interested in any further details.

Regards,

11-09-09 10:07 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. The PIN being blocked is the only thing that I could think of and I am pretty sure that it is not.
    11-09-09 10:46 AM
    Also, I have a contact at Bell that can offer voice plans uncomparable to anything else you can get.
    do tell
    11-09-09 11:03 AM
    There is a reason data won't work.. Bell is not offering data to customers who bring in an unlocked BB at this time only voice and text

11-09-09 01:38 PM
    With all do respect Coruptyed, there is no reason for Bell to be disallowing data services based on those premise. I think that if you speak to them you could work something out, or atleast get some clariication on the matter

For example,

$22 + taxes, system access fee included:
    250 daytime minutes
    evenings at 6pm and weekends
    message centre
    caller ID
    unlimited text messaging
    unlimited incoming calls

then you can add the usual data packages if you wish

I have been referring many of my friends and family. This guy is great!

Cheers,

There is a reason data won't work.. Bell is not offering data to customers who bring in an unlocked BB at this time only voice and text

11-09-09 02:08 PM
    With all do respect Coruptyed, there is no reason for Bell to be disallowing data services based on those premise. I think that if you speak to them you could work something out, or atleast get some clariication on the matter

For example,

250 daytime minutes
    message centre
    caller ID
    unlimited text messaging
    unlimited incoming calls

Cheers,
    wow....is this just available in Ontario?? I'm on the ease coast,and I've never seen a plan like that down here.
    11-09-09 06:54 PM

Why is that? Obviously I am going to be upgrading my plan. Is there just a blackout period or something?
    11-09-09 08:27 PM
    andybrydon, sounds like your guy is offering a corporate plan available only to government workers. If you're being offered the plan without proper id, that's kinda not allowed. you should be careful about offering it to everyone who asks.

As for the OP...as others have said already, the only reason data wouldn't work would be if another carrier hasn't released the pin # for other carriers to use. If it came right from RIM, it should be free and clear...unless your previous carrier took possession of it when you activated with them, and haven't released it. You should call their data support to get it released.
    11-09-09 08:37 PM
    Lol nice, guy gets praised for offering corporate rates to everyone... against corporate policy and that should get him fired. But then again he probably works for a dealer store in which management there doesn't give a crap about what their employees do.
    11-09-09 09:08 PM
    To clarify, he nor I am offering these plans to everyone, simply some of my friends and family as we have established a relationship. No, he is not a retail Baka wireless junky working off commissions for new activations. Personally, I am done dealing with non-corporate Bell stores. Nor are these government rate plans, they are negotiated plans between the rep and myself.

Not sure if they are available in the east cost. Simply talk to your employer and inquire as to whether they have a corporate plan with Bell.

Regards,
    11-10-09 11:47 AM
    Update: Went into a Bell store tonight and got everything up and running no problem. Got a SIM card, switched to BB plan and everything is good to go. Not sure why I was originally told that data would not work.
    11-10-09 11:08 PM

Data will work on certain unlocked and compatible HSPA devices but it is not guaranteed to function properly. All unlocked BlackBerry Bold 9000/9700 devices, the data portion will be compatible.
    11-11-09 12:49 AM
    Update: Went into a Bell store tonight and got everything up and running no problem. Got a SIM card, switched to BB plan and everything is good to go. Not sure why I was originally told that data would not work.
    Glad to hear! Bell is a great company.
    11-11-09 11:59 AM
    so many plans to choose from, and devices now. I'm trying to upgrade on Bell, but the sales people in the store I went to as well as their customer service desk don't make it easy to figure out what's best for my use. This wesite's forums have helped me 10 x's more!
    Thanks for all your posts. I'm going to get a Bold 9700 and stick with Bell.
    11-11-09 04:21 PM
    glad to hear! Bell is a great company.
    lmao!!!!!!!
    11-13-09 10:03 PM

For example,

250 daytime minutes
    message centre
    caller ID
    unlimited text messaging
    unlimited incoming calls

Cheers,
    yeah, i want to switch and get two of these!
    01-29-10 09:24 PM

For example,

250 daytime minutes
    message centre
    caller ID
    unlimited text messaging
    unlimited incoming calls

Cheers,
    A heads up on that Package you have, it cannot be activated at consumer level anymore. Bell dropped the hammer on it as too many reps were activating it without "properly qualifying" the client. These were an INDV-CORP offer and before we could run credit under the client. Now it MUST be run under the business. Meaning for a rep to do this 'legally' he must be a corporate rep and be in communcation to the company directly if I am not mistaken. Corp reps correct me if I'm wrong. :P
    02-22-10 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD