When downloading something over Wi-Fi, does it count towards the monthly data limit on your plan, or is it "free"?
    07-26-09 01:57 PM
    wifi is free. Its running of your/someone's internet connection, not rogers network..
    cheers
    jrv
    07-26-09 02:28 PM
    wifi is free. Its running of your/someone's internet connection, not rogers network..
    cheers
    jrv
    Thanks. So is there any way to connect to it if you don't have a Rogers data plan (I've got the blackberry unlimited emails/instant messaging plan)?
    07-26-09 03:01 PM
    Thanks. So is there any way to connect to it if you don't have a Rogers data plan (I've got the blackberry unlimited emails/instant messaging plan)?
    Yes use the hotspot browser.
    07-26-09 03:22 PM
    Yes use the hotspot browser.
    And how do I do that (as you can see, I'm pretty new to all of this)?
    07-26-09 05:30 PM
    Andy B
    go to options--> advanced settings-->browser.
    Change the 'default browser configuration' to hotspot. then start your browser
    that should be it.....
    The fact that you don't have a data plan might complicate things, I'm not 100% sure on that as I have a data package.
    if that doesn't work, things may get trickier...but one step at a time
    cheers
    jrv
    07-26-09 05:38 PM
    you could also block internet on your account if for some reason you don't have a data plan then it won't let you download unless your on wifi
    07-26-09 05:53 PM
    Andy B
    go to options--> advanced settings-->browser.
    Change the 'default browser configuration' to hotspot. then start your browser
    that should be it.....
    The fact that you don't have a data plan might complicate things, I'm not 100% sure on that as I have a data package.
    if that doesn't work, things may get trickier...but one step at a time
    cheers
    jrv
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.
    07-26-09 07:19 PM
    I myself also have the unlimited messaging/email and no data.

I live in Toronto so there is no need for data really as hotspots are everywhere. The only issue is that a lot of apps are not wifi compatible. Its a bit frustrating but to pay less than $45 a month for a BB is solid enough for me
    07-30-09 08:47 AM
    You could also use Viigo with your plan, just set it to use WAP. It works with unlimited email/chat plan.
    08-04-09 09:19 AM
    it sucks that app world doesn't work via wifi...REALLY sucks!
    08-04-09 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD