Friend wants a blackberry on Att but doesnt want the data plan, as of sept they require them. If the friend were to get a unlocked rogers or any other gsm berry besides ATT and drop their ATT sim, can ATT enforce the data plan charges and force it on the plan?

An answer would be appreciated, my friend just wants the reliability and text messaging ability of a blackberry bold 9000
    01-27-10 06:09 PM
    Will probably work for some time, but Att will eventually find out and add the data plan. Proceed at your own risk.
    01-27-10 06:12 PM
    I have read that AT&T has random system sweeps to detect phones on their system, and then add the data plan automatically.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 07:01 PM
    wow...didn't know that...that is a surprised...at&t forcing user to get data plan for their bb! another reason to go to t-mo!
    01-27-10 07:06 PM
    whats the point of having a BB without a data plan??
    01-27-10 07:14 PM
    Everything on the BB requires data! Even the BBM. That's like wanting a car and not getting gas for it. Its useless.

01-27-10 07:20 PM
    dont care what u guys think it is useless w/o data. but for at&t forcing ppl to have a data plan on their bb, is just wrong!
    01-27-10 07:23 PM
    I have done it before and they don't know you have a blackberry if you don't update the system. So you could potentially have a nokia registered on the system and just pop the sim card in the bberry and make phone calls/send texts. Just don't go online or call them to tell them you have a bberry, just pop in the sim card in.
    01-27-10 07:42 PM
    They will find out. I gave my son one of my 9000s-no data. Last week he received a text message from AT&T that he was required to have the "minimal" data plan. trust me-they will find out.
    01-27-10 09:43 PM
    What if u have a prepaid voice plan? Do they still force data down ur throat?

01-27-10 09:53 PM
    I don't think they allow a smart phone on a prepaid account.
    01-28-10 09:16 AM
    I don't think they allow a smart phone on a prepaid account.
    If that is true...another reason not to go with at&t.

01-28-10 09:21 AM
    Friend wants a blackberry on Att but doesnt want the data plan, as of sept they require them. If the friend were to get a unlocked rogers or any other gsm berry besides ATT and drop their ATT sim, can ATT enforce the data plan charges and force it on the plan?

An answer would be appreciated, my friend just wants the reliability and text messaging ability of a blackberry bold 9000
    I have AT&T service and had a Razor V3 with no data plan then I went to Ebay and bought a new unlocked Blackberry 8310 and put my sim card in and its fantastic. No data plan and everything works. Texting, Picture Messaging, IM, works and its been almost a year. My monthly bill has not changed. Hope this helps.
    01-28-10 01:27 PM
    I have read that AT&T has random system sweeps to detect phones on their system, and then add the data plan automatically.

Lol its not random. It's why they have an accounting division. Every time before you get your bill drafted and sent to you, the computers do a check of the account and assess any extra fees. In this case, if a BB is active on an account they CAN tack the BIS plan on it. Exception is if you didn't have a plan prior to Sep 6th, '09. Then you can't. But you always run the risk of it getting put on if they catch it.
    01-28-10 04:27 PM
    I have AT&T service and had a Razor V3 with no data plan then I went to Ebay and bought a new unlocked Blackberry 8310 and put my sim card in and its fantastic. No data plan and everything works. Texting, Picture Messaging, IM, works and its been almost a year. My monthly bill has not changed. Hope this helps.
    If you did that almost a year ago, the requirement doesn't apply to you. The change happend in september 09. You won't be affected until you get a different smartphone.
    01-28-10 08:49 PM
    wow...didn't know that...that is a surprised...at&t forcing user to get data plan for their bb! another reason to go to t-mo!
    T-mo also requires a blackberry data plan (on postpaid or flaxpay lines at least) as do Sprint and VZW.
    01-28-10 08:51 PM
    T-mo also requires a blackberry data plan (on postpaid or flaxpay lines at least) as do Sprint and VZW.
    oh snap! i didn't know this either. anyway i'm on flexpay on t-mo...about to move back to my prepaid real soon.
    01-28-10 09:38 PM
    Ok i use a blackberry curve 8320 WITHOUT a $30 data plan. How do i accomplish this? I will list the steps below

1. Bought a curve 8320 bran new off ebay unlocked (originally Vodafone)
    2. Upgraded in nov to the xenon and added the unlimited data plan for families (10 dollars)
    3. Just switched my sims and have been working ever since.

YOU WILL GET THE ATT TEXT MESSAGES ABOUT NEEDING A DATA PLAN.
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT fall for the trick of calling ATT about it. These are the messages you will get:

1. ATT free mesg: Did you know a data plan is required for your Smartphone? call 611 or go 2 att/com/smartphoneplans 4 info

2. ATT free mesg: Your Smartphone requires a data plan. For convenience, we have added a minimum plan to your phone. Call 611 or go 2 att.com/smartphoneplans 4 info.

I got these messages dec 27th 2009, and was using the method since early December. and STILL NO data plan was chosen or required. The ONLY reason why I got these texts was for the reason that I called 611 from my phone regarding upgrading for my mom. As soon as i hung up with att I got the texts.

This is the image of my bill showing PROOF that this happens.
    Add http to this url they wont me post it for somereason

://s854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/micke008/?action=view&current=attbill.jpg&newest=1

I would also like to add that I have tried this with my friends pearl and the same thing happened. I was able to continue to use my blackberry on the 10 unlimited data plan and no smartphone plan. The pearl was ATT branded. I am looking to buy the 9700 from bestbuy (i work there and get a sick discount) and Ill let you guys know what happens with that.

*And to all the people who responded .... dont get a blackberry, there are many reasons why you do NOT need the BIS plan
    02-10-10 05:27 PM
    I'm one of those who can totally understand why someone wouldn't want a data plan; I came from having a pda and dumbphone and moved to smartphone for the simplicity of having one device.

Now, that being said, I didn't have a data plan right away (I used other smartphones before switching to a bb), but now, I can't see myself not having one. Just use it for way too much stuff. I understand why someone might not want it, but bb's were made for data.

If you feel its too much permonth, ask yourself if you can give up a bottle of pop or a cup of coffee from the drive thru each day. I used to be a dunkin donuts coffee guy every day, started brewing coffe at home, and guess what? I can afford data on my bb each month! Yay!

02-10-10 07:46 PM
    I'm one of those who can totally understand why someone wouldn't want a data plan; I came from having a pda and dumbphone and moved to smartphone for the simplicity of having one device.

Now, that being said, I didn't have a data plan right away (I used other smartphones before switching to a bb), but now, I can't see myself not having one. Just use it for way too much stuff. I understand why someone might not want it, but bb's were made for data.

If you feel its too much permonth, ask yourself if you can give up a bottle of pop or a cup of coffee from the drive thru each day. I used to be a dunkin donuts coffee guy every day, started brewing coffe at home, and guess what? I can afford data on my bb each month! Yay!

U can make the argument of brewing ur coffee instead of buying it from dunkin donuts so u can save money. How ironic? I can make the same argument for instead of getting data plan, use wifi. That save u $30+ a month. My point is...don't let others tell u if it is worth it or not, it all come down to what the individuals' needs and prority are.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-10-10 at 08:05 PM.
    02-10-10 07:52 PM
    U can make the argument of brewing ur coffee instead of buying it from dunkin donuts so u can save money. How ironic? I can make the same argument for instead of getting data plan, use wifi. That save u $30+ a month. My point is...don't let others tell u if it is worth it or not, it all come down to what the individuals' needs and prority are.

Thanks for editing your post. I read it on my bb and was waiting til I got home to respond, but that's exactly what I was going to say: whatever fits your needs. I tried the whole wifi thing, but found it to be more of a pain for what I needed. The other thing for me is that 9 times out of 10, I have my 10" netbook with me, so if there is a wifi signal I can tap into, well...
    For me, I prefer having the constant data. I use it too much do the wifi thing. My point was if you feel like you could really use the data plan, but feel it's out of reach, look at your monthly expenditures. You might even end up saving more than what the data costs.
    02-10-10 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD