I'm thinking of unlocking my t-mobile 8320 while still using it. What are the pros and cons of my actions? Is it something that will ruin my phone while I still use it on t-mobile?
    01-10-10 11:07 AM
    no you will not use it, there are no cons, pros, firstly you can use any sim card in it, secondly it raises resale value, youll all good. unlock it.
    01-10-10 11:09 AM
    I'm thinking of unlocking my t-mobile 8320 while still using it. What are the pros and cons of my actions? Is it something that will ruin my phone while I still use it on t-mobile?
    There are no cons or negative consequences of unlocking a phone. Unlocking a phone simply allows you to use other carriers' SIM cards in your device and this is usually only beneficial if you are traveling overseas.
    01-10-10 11:10 AM
    Will the phone still work with t-mobile until I decide to sell it?
    01-10-10 11:12 AM
    secondly it raises resale value
    Thanks for pointing this out. You are exactly right.

I sold my 8900 to a guy who had a different carrier. It would have been a problem if my 8900 had not been unlocked.
    01-10-10 11:12 AM
    Will the phone still work with t-mobile until I decide to sell it?
    As pointed out, there are no cons to unlocking your phone and there are no negative impacts on using your phone with your carrier.
    01-10-10 11:13 AM
    Thank you. Will go for it.
    01-10-10 11:16 AM
    Unlocking it allows you to use the device on any gsm carrier. The unlocking of the device has no affect on the device, os, or performance.
    01-12-10 04:26 PM
    Unlocking will not affect the phone in any way will not even void the warranty.
    01-12-10 05:26 PM
    Thank you carrierunlock & cellunlock. I actually won an unlock from carrierunlock and now my phone is successfully unlocked.
    01-12-10 09:57 PM
    Thank you carrierunlock & cellunlock. I actually won an unlock from carrierunlock and now my phone is successfully unlocked.
    Glad to hear! Enjoy your unlocked Blackberry
    01-12-10 10:04 PM
    Since I am under contract with TMO until 11/17/2011 I don't see any reason to spend the money right now to unlock it. As it gets closer and if my 9700 is still in good condition and depending what the resale value is at the time I might decide to unlock it.

I bought an 8320 in Dec 2007 and it wound up costing me $0 after rebates. When I got my 9700 I was able to trade in my 8320 for $75 which brought my 9700 down to $83 after this and other rebates.
    01-13-10 01:07 PM
    Since I am under contract with TMO until 11/17/2011 I don't see any reason to spend the money right now to unlock it.
    The great thing is, you don't have to spend a dime, since you are a TMO customer, you can get it unlocked for free, via TMO. Just call up the friendly folks in customer service, explain that you would like to use the phone out of country on vacation, using local prepaid SIM cards, and you should get the unlock codes in 24 hours to 10 days. YMMV
    01-13-10 02:21 PM
    Since I am under contract with TMO until 11/17/2011 I don't see any reason to spend the money right now to unlock it. As it gets closer and if my 9700 is still in good condition and depending what the resale value is at the time I might decide to unlock it.

I bought an 8320 in Dec 2007 and it wound up costing me $0 after rebates. When I got my 9700 I was able to trade in my 8320 for $75 which brought my 9700 down to $83 after this and other rebates.
    You don't need to pay for the code, if you have an account with T-mobile, you can get the code for free as OP mentioned .
    01-13-10 02:23 PM
    Unlocking will not affect the phone in any way will not even void the warranty.
    This will not void the warranty with the carrier it was locked to, but it will void the warranty with RIM directly
    01-13-10 04:03 PM
    I no longer use my 8320, will T-Mobile unlock it for me for FREE being that I got my 9700 now?
    01-13-10 10:03 PM
    I no longer use my 8320, will T-Mobile unlock it for me for FREE being that I got my 9700 now?
    They should....worth the try
    01-13-10 10:04 PM
    When did you upgrade to the 9700? If you don't plan on selling it why not trade it in. I just got $75 for my old 8320.
    01-14-10 05:57 AM
    The great thing is, you don't have to spend a dime, since you are a TMO customer, you can get it unlocked for free, via TMO. Just call up the friendly folks in customer service, explain that you would like to use the phone out of country on vacation, using local prepaid SIM cards, and you should get the unlock codes in 24 hours to 10 days. YMMV

I called TMO on Friday @ 5:30PM and requested an unlock code. They verified that I was who I said I was, that the phone has the correct IMEI # and told me that it could take 1-2 days to get the unlock code. It is now Saturday @ 8:30AM and I just received the unlock code and my phone is rebooting. A simple process and didn't cost a dime.

Thanks for the info.

When I go to Options -> Sim Card and type MEPD everything says disabled. Is that what it's supposed to say?
    Last edited by TheBronx; 01-16-10 at 07:51 AM.
    01-16-10 07:39 AM
    Yes, your phone is unlocked if everything is "disabled". I believe the phone comes pre-disabled except the network, unlocking the phone normally means unlocking the network.

T-Mobile has a policy where you have to wait three months I believe before they give you an unlock code for free. AT&T will give it to you right away but no biggie unlock codes are so cheap anyways online.
    01-16-10 08:51 AM
    I called TMO on Friday @ 5:30PM and requested an unlock code. They verified that I was who I said I was, that the phone has the correct IMEI # and told me that it could take 1-2 days to get the unlock code. It is now Saturday @ 8:30AM and I just received the unlock code and my phone is rebooting. A simple process and didn't cost a dime.

Thanks for the info.

When I go to Options -> Sim Card and type MEPD everything says disabled. Is that what it's supposed to say?
    Congrats! Yes your phone is now unlocked. US carriers are easy to give out the codes. Canadian carriers will never give them out, but nevertheless always worth the try to call the carrier and try to get the code for free before paying for the code.
    01-16-10 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD