I am getting a new cell phone next month and I'm seriously considering the blackberry curve. i never had a phone with wifi before and I wanted to know if you have to pay a monthly fee to use wifi or if it is free. I dont want to use the hotspot at home feature i would just like to access the internet and browse some webpages.

thanks for the help
    09-25-08 08:00 PM
    Yes its free. If you can wait I'd say stick it out until the curve 8900 comes out. Its like an 8320 on roids lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-08 08:03 PM
    09-25-08 08:15 PM
    if you're getting it to use wifi to avoid the blackberry data plans, then save your money and get the T-Mobile Dash.

the blackberry data plan works hand in hand with the device, and is quite crippled on wifi without it. you'll just end up on here asking "why cant it do this? why cant it do that? that effin sucks!" after a couple of days if you go with the curve without the blackberry data plan.
    Last edited by oakie; 09-25-08 at 08:20 PM.
    09-25-08 08:18 PM
    Wifi is great, but you might want to look into a data plan... you can't get email or calendar from your email to sync without a data plan... really that is how you get the full potential out of a BB.

Plus, in order to qualify for the rebates on a Blackberry you will need to have a data plan, and more times than not a text plan also... you might want to look into those details before you commit... BB messaging uses text messaging to send it's messages, and you will need text messaging if you IM someone, plus there is text messaging.
    09-26-08 09:06 AM
    You will need the data plan to at least get started to get the apps on your BB, if not it won't work very well.
    09-26-08 11:13 AM
    if you're getting it to use wifi to avoid the blackberry data plans, then save your money and get the T-Mobile Dash.

the blackberry data plan works hand in hand with the device, and is quite crippled on wifi without it. you'll just end up on here asking "why cant it do this? why cant it do that? that effin sucks!" after a couple of days if you go with the curve without the blackberry data plan.
    I have to agree with oakie. I've had the Dash, Shadow and Wing and the Dash is far better than the other 2. But then again, my Pearl is better than all of the WM phones. Also, T-Mobile's data plan rocks! It's only $20 and I've had it on all of my phones with no problems and, you'll need it (or BES) to send and receive emails (pushed).
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 09-26-08 at 11:17 AM.
    09-26-08 11:15 AM
    Wifi is great, but you might want to look into a data plan... you can't get email or calendar from your email to sync without a data plan... really that is how you get the full potential out of a BB.

Plus, in order to qualify for the rebates on a Blackberry you will need to have a data plan, and more times than not a text plan also... you might want to look into those details before you commit... BB messaging uses text messaging to send it's messages, and you will need text messaging if you IM someone, plus there is text messaging.
    Bbm does not use txt it uses data from your plan same with most of the I'm programs
    But to agree with everyone else don't get a berry without a plan just becomes a crippled device

09-26-08 11:24 AM
    Just for my clarification, very soon I will be getting a BB 8320. My tmobile plan will include unlimited data transfer (i.e. internet, email, text mess.). When I enter into a tmobile HotSpot area, will I be able to make free calls using the wifi feature?

thanks.
    09-26-08 01:39 PM
    Osito only if you have the hot spot and home package

09-26-08 01:42 PM
    As I understand it from several reps, you don't *have* to have TMOs Hotspot. If you walk in to a Starbucks, you will hook up auto matically...
    09-26-08 02:11 PM
    As I understand it from several reps, you don't *have* to have TMOs Hotspot. If you walk in to a Starbucks, you will hook up auto matically...
    Until they (Starbucks) lock down their wifi... and they will do that sometime in the near future.
    09-26-08 02:43 PM
    TMO supplies Starbucks with the WiFi. Unless that changes I don't see it being locked down. Also, you should be able to hook up to any given unsecured WiFi signal.
    09-26-08 03:09 PM
    Just for my clarification, very soon I will be getting a BB 8320. My tmobile plan will include unlimited data transfer (i.e. internet, email, text mess.). When I enter into a tmobile HotSpot area, will I be able to make free calls using the wifi feature?

thanks.
    As long as you have the Unlimited Hotspot calling (for 10 bucks), you will be able to use any OPEN non passworded wireless router's WIFI, when at home and anywhere go that has Wifi (some you will need to get the WEP/WPA logon for their wireless router).

I have this and it works fine at home, work and friend's homes that have wireless routers. While on WIFI I do not use any of my anytime minutes.
    09-26-08 06:29 PM
    TMO supplies Starbucks with the WiFi. Unless that changes I don't see it being locked down. Also, you should be able to hook up to any given unsecured WiFi signal.
    Yes, I agree you should be able to connect to any unsecured Wifi signal, but I believe Starbucks is changing from TMO to AT&T... not sure when this will be finalized, but it is coming.
    09-26-08 07:28 PM
    that's true, but you dont get free data. it only connects so you can make calls on their hotspot wifi system, and the minutes still come off your account unless you have the talk forever mobile plan on your account.
    09-27-08 01:06 AM
    interesting. Hadn't heard that portion. I don't have WiFi, yet, but plan on getting the Jav so I *will* have it. I'll see how things go then, I guess.
    09-27-08 01:11 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

I accessed my account via the tmobile website, hoping to add the unlimited Hot Spot calling to my plan. For some reason I get a message saying that this service may not be available for my account. What gives? My service plan is the Blackberry Minutes and Mail, which is a 1000 minutes and unlim. data, email, and texts. Under the description for this plan, it says HotSpot is not necessary because unlimited data tranfer is already included. When adding "Blackberry Minutes and Mail" to the shopping cart, HotSpot calling is not listed as an availabe service to add on. However, if I first select a basic voice plan of 600 mins., the option to select unlimited Hot Spot calling (as well as BB service and text mess.) becomes available. Is unlim. HotSpot calling only available with certain plans?

thanks
    09-27-08 04:58 AM
    Just give them a call. Say Blackberry when the auto voice asks what you're calling about.
    09-27-08 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD