I can't confirm this for sure but it seems that WIND Mobile here in Canada has changed their minds about selling the Z10 to new activations only on the "tab" (kinda a non-contract contract) and will be selling the device off contract. For anyone that doesn't know WIND uses the same AWS frequency as T-Mobile. There has also been confirmation that they'll start selling the phone next week at corporate stores and kiosks, perhaps as late as Thursday or Friday. Keep an eye on availability here:

Shop for no term contract smartphones, mobile data sticks | WIND Phones
    MADBRADNYC and Korepab like this.
    02-08-13 08:14 PM
    I hope americans don't buy up all the stock before I can get to it lol
    02-08-13 08:56 PM
    I hope americans don't buy up all the stock before I can get to it lol
    You don't have a border to cross to get your hands on one, you've got a wee bit of a head start
    02-08-13 08:59 PM
    Will do!
    Thanks!
    02-08-13 09:21 PM
    Excuse me, I'm quite unfamiliar with all the bands and frequencies. I've been doing some reading but I think that's only got me more confused. What does the. "Aws" mean?? Is it a canda only thing? I'm on tmobile usa and understand I would need a z10 that runs 1700 for tmobiles lte when it comes out.

Any explanation would be great!
    02-08-13 09:31 PM
    Excuse me, I'm quite unfamiliar with all the bands and frequencies. I've been doing some reading but I think that's only got me more confused. What does the. "Aws" mean?? Is it a canda only thing? I'm on tmobile usa and understand I would need a z10 that runs 1700 for tmobiles lte when it comes out.

I personally gave up trying to completely figure it out.
    Here's the gist of what I know though.
    The following company groupings will always play nicely assuming the phones are unlocked:
    Wind, Mobilicity
    Rogers, Chatr, AT&T, Fido
    Bell, Telus

Additionally, GSM phones will always work on Rogers, Bell, AT&T. (texting and calling at the very least)
    Tmobile will work with Wind and Mobilicity.

And everything else worldwide is pretty much too chaotic for me to figure out.

There is no one standard for cellphones or data. LTE doesn't always mean LTE, etc. So yeah, too crazy for me to try and figure out.
    02-08-13 09:39 PM
    List of AWS devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I also found this thread.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/#post7932889
    I'm definitely looking, but not sure of the route I'll take.
    It seems a lot safer to go direct from them though.
    Decisions... Decisions...
    02-08-13 10:01 PM
    Oh and for the record, the koodo/telus version will work on tmobile USA too.
    02-08-13 10:17 PM
    I can sort of confirm Jonesy1966's comment about Wind selling only to new activations only.

Two days ago, one of my family members called Wind because we forgot to pay the monthly phone bill which deactivated our out going services. Anyway, brought up the question about BB Z10 being sold to new activations only and the representative said that is not true, as long as you pre-register for the phone then you are fine.

Obviously, there's no guarantee to the statement but at least that gives old customers some hope!
    02-09-13 02:41 AM
    WIND/Mobilicity works 100% with T-Mobile. Full functionality (assuming it's unlocked). If reputable CrackBerry users want the device when it comes out for WIND I could help them get them.
    02-09-13 04:28 AM

AWS means "Advanced Wireless Spectrum (Service)" and is basically nothing more than a fancy name for the frequencies the phone uses. There are only 4 companies in the world that use full AWS; WIND Mobile, Mobilicity, Videotron, and T-Mobile. A couple of other North American carriers use it for their LTE services but those phones don't work on the previously mentioned carriers. Up until now, providing you unlocked the phone, you could use it on any of those 4 just simply by swapping out the SIM card and I can't see an issue with the Z10 but I'm not willing to guarantee it, if you choose to buy the phone from another carrier because of price or availability then you do so at your own risk. Personally, I don't have an issue with it.

Unlocking your phone is as easy as following instructions. I notice that CrackBerry has a blog about it in the news section but in the past I've used freemyblackberry.com I don't know if they're able to unlock the Z10 yet but their service is reliable and free. I say free but you always have the option of donating to the site either by paying (a measly $3) for an "instant" unlock code or by clicking on the donate tab at the bottom. I've unlocked 5 or 6 phones through them in the past and have always found them reliable and accurate. By the way, unlocking a phone you bought off contract in not against the law. The recently passed statute only applies to phones obtained through a subsidised plan with a carrier.
    austriker likes this.
    02-09-13 06:57 AM