11-21-09 01:36 PM
26 12
tools
    Looking for any Telus expert that can clear something up for me.

This weekend I will be transferring my Storm over to a friend of mine (reason being he wants a BB and I want the 9700 lol). My friend currently has a phone with another carrier and is willing to cancel his plan with them but wants to port his number over to Telus for use on the Storm. I was reading on Telus' website about switching a mobile number to Telus from another carrier and read the following regarding what you need to switch:

"If possible, your service agreement, which we encourage you to review to determine if there are any cancellation fees involved in ending your agreement early"

Now, does this mean that he can pay the cancellation fee at the Telus store as part of the porting process? If not, what options are available then?

Thanks to any Telus experts that can chime in here.
    11-18-09 11:55 AM
    If I understand correctly, your friend basically wants to take over your phone and rate plans? Which would mean he wants to take over the remainder of your contract? There shouldn't be any problem with that, as well he should be able to keep his current cell number and transfer it to Telus. The only thing I recommend is that you do it in-store to make sure that everything gets changed correctly and that his phone number does not get lost in the process.
    11-18-09 12:09 PM
    If I understand correctly, your friend basically wants to take over your phone and rate plans? Which would mean he wants to take over the remainder of your contract? There shouldn't be any problem with that, as well he should be able to keep his current cell number and transfer it to Telus. The only thing I recommend is that you do it in-store to make sure that everything gets changed correctly and that his phone number does not get lost in the process.
    That's what I was assuming as well. We will be hitting up a Telus store early Saturday. I have been trying to gather as much information about the overall process as I can so I'm not surprised by anything during the process.

And does that mean that if there is a cancellation fee associated with his current provider he can pay it while we are at the Telus store?

Thanks for the insight
    11-18-09 12:14 PM
    The cancellation fee will be from the provider you are leaving. This will come to him on his final bill from that provider.
    11-18-09 01:05 PM
    The cancellation fee will be from the provider you are leaving. This will come to him on his final bill from that provider.
    Ok thanks a lot for that. I was hoping you would chime in here.
    11-18-09 01:13 PM
    No problem, anytime!
    11-18-09 01:14 PM
    Jordan, just another quick question. I have been hearing that Rogers is out of stock for the 9700. Is Telus in the same boat?
    11-18-09 01:18 PM
    I have 3 on my desk right now... Not spoken for...
    11-18-09 01:19 PM
    Hahah excellent. I didn't want to get to the store saturday and be disappointed by them not having any available. I believe I've covered my bases as far as the process and the necessary costs invovled. Could you tell me if this sounds about correct for how it should all go down and if you have any suggestions:

1 - Purchase 9700 on 3 year term and add as a second line on my current account (becuase I would like to keep my standing with Telus and not start all over again account-wise)
    2- Transfer my number from my Storm to the 9700 ($25 in store)
    3 - Transfer my friends number over from his current provider ($25 in store)
    4 - Transfer my Storm contract over to my friends name ($25)
    5 - Assign his newly transfered number from his old provider to the Storm he will be taking from me

Sound about right?
    11-18-09 01:27 PM
    You are 100% spot on with that process. Where are u going to go to buy the device?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 01:31 PM
    I live in the east end so I will more than likely head to the Oshawa Center Telus store.
    11-18-09 01:32 PM
    Very cool. Just call them ahead of time to ensure there is stock. Let us know how it all worked out for you!
    11-18-09 01:36 PM
    I will. Thank you for your help with answering my questions.

The only thing I'm not so impressed by is I'll be getting the Smartphone 50 plan but it does not include caller ID and paying $7/mo for it is a little depressing. But I imagine I can call CS and see what can be done.
    11-18-09 01:41 PM
    Hahah excellent. I didn't want to get to the store saturday and be disappointed by them not having any available. I believe I've covered my bases as far as the process and the necessary costs invovled. Could you tell me if this sounds about correct for how it should all go down and if you have any suggestions:

1 - Purchase 9700 on 3 year term and add as a second line on my current account (becuase I would like to keep my standing with Telus and not start all over again account-wise)
    2- Transfer my number from my Storm to the 9700 ($25 in store)
    3 - Transfer my friends number over from his current provider ($25 in store)
    4 - Transfer my Storm contract over to my friends name ($25)
    5 - Assign his newly transfered number from his old provider to the Storm he will be taking from me

Sound about right?
    That sounds about right, but I bet if you are nice enough... and if you ask politely, you should be able to get the fees waved. I'm not bragging, but I have never paid for a activation, transfer fee of any kind. Like I said, if you are nice and polite, they will most likely wave them.
    11-18-09 02:00 PM
    That would be lovely. I personally haven't paid an activation fee either. When I bought my Pearl and then when I switched to the Storm. Hopefully the trend continues with the Bold

One more question though regarding these charges. Would they have to be paid in store or just added to my first bill with the new phone?
    11-18-09 02:03 PM
    That would be lovely. I personally haven't paid an activation fee either. When I bought my Pearl and then when I switched to the Storm. Hopefully the trend continues with the Bold

One more question though regarding these charges. Would they have to be paid in store or just added to my first bill with the new phone?
    Well, your not going to pay the fees right? :-) Because you are going to get them waved for being a valuable customer and bringing another person over to the telus world.

But if you give in and pay the fees, they will just be billed to your account(s).
    11-18-09 02:11 PM
    Hahaha I never even thought of it that way. You're right though. I'm definitely using that as my leverage if things don't pan out. Thanks man!
    11-18-09 02:20 PM
    Hmmm if i leave Bell for Telus, i have a $400 etf charge. Can something be negociated with Telus?
    Or is there any work around with Bell with this etf.
    Very unsatisfied with Bell customer support. Only problem is my rate plan is excellent and doubt Telus has something similar.

11-19-09 04:42 AM
    You would have to. Negotiate with bell.

11-19-09 07:33 AM
    You would have to. Negotiate with bell.

Yes and no, a friend of mine switched to Telus from Bell and Telus gave him a discount equivalent to 7 months of his contract with Bell to have him as a customer.

11-19-09 10:41 AM
    It can be negotialble on both ends. But usually the carrier you are leaving will stick it to you for full ECF fees. Its generally up to the consumer to talk to TELUS on the phone and see what they can offer.

Most of the time you end up with something. But never enough to cover a 400 dollar cancellation fee or something rediculous like that.

For me, from now on I only buy the device at full cost to avoid these contracts / upgrade processes. Its easier that way.
    11-19-09 02:00 PM
    So I went and got my phone and performed the swap. Relatively flawless. I did not know that when I switched my number my contract and plan moved with it. But luckily they were able to restore my plan back on the storm. But the benefit was I only have under a year left on my contract and I got my phone for the 3 year contract price but my friend got pinned with the 3 year contract I thought I was getting. I also got caller id for free. So for me things worked out beautifully lol

11-20-09 11:44 PM
    But did you pay the fees? Haha

11-21-09 08:09 AM
    So I went and got my phone and performed the swap. Relatively flawless. I did not know that when I switched my number my contract and plan moved with it. But luckily they were able to restore my plan back on the storm. But the benefit was I only have under a year left on my contract and I got my phone for the 3 year contract price but my friend got pinned with the 3 year contract I thought I was getting. I also got caller id for free. So for me things worked out beautifully lol

I have to say, I find it very odd that the friend taking over the contract with an older phone got stuck with the 3 yr agreement and you got to keep your less than a yr agreement with a phone on 3yr contract pricing.

You keeping leprechauns in your pockets because that sounds like bs or a stroke of luck.
    11-21-09 09:44 AM
    Stroke of luck trust me. I was not anticipating that to be completely honest.

11-21-09 01:35 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD