While the port is in progress, is there any risk of people not reaching my voicemail on the landline?
    02-11-10 05:49 PM
    Probably, but you honestly shouldn't notice a difference in your service until you get the text message about the completed port.

That said, landline to cell ports tend to take longer.
    02-11-10 06:00 PM
    No, there should not a problem getting your voicemail on your land line. The land line will stay active until they switch it over. It should be a seamless operation, unless you get a call at the exact second that they switch it over, very unlikely.
    02-11-10 06:20 PM
    The only thing you may experience is having to use two phones for a day or so or until the porting process is completed.

On your VZW phone you will be able to make calls however when you receive calls it will still more than likely be routed to your landline. That is until the port completes.
    02-12-10 08:33 AM
    The only thing you may experience is having to use two phones for a day or so or until the porting process is completed.

On your VZW phone you will be able to make calls however when you receive calls it will still more than likely be routed to your landline. That is until the port completes.
    Not gonna happen. The porting process is instantaneous. It will be turned on your cell phone and all calls will go to your cell phone instantly. As soon as it is ported over your land line will cease to have a dial tone. There is no porting delay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 10:43 AM
    I am talking while the port completes. If you are internal or have access to infoMgr please search "mixed service".

Or if not you can gladly read here

Answers to FAQs

7th question down!

Not trying to be an *** but there is a delay while the porting completes.
    02-12-10 11:11 AM
    I am talking while the port completes. If you are internal or have access to infoMgr please search "mixed service".

Or if not you can gladly read here

Answers to FAQs

7th question down!

Not trying to be an *** but there is a delay while the porting completes.
    Well I guess I was wrong about that. I have ported over a couple of landlines and never seemed to notice the delay. Everything just seemed to work. Well, never to old to learn!!
    02-12-10 04:05 PM
    bs1two is right, the port takes about a week and they can only receive calls on the landline and make calls from the cell.

02-12-10 11:15 PM
    I come from a world of porting land lines to land lines and that is an instanious thing once the request is made and the porting process is complete.

02-13-10 01:03 AM
    Exactly, landline to landline. We are talking about landline to wireless and once the port request is initiated it takes about a week to complete.

02-13-10 08:17 AM
    bs1two is right, the port takes about a week and they can only receive calls on the landline and make calls from the cell.

Here I think you are mistaken, you will be able to make and receive calls from the landline until the second that the port is done. On the cell phone you can only place calls because the phone is shipped with it's own phone number which can be registered on your carriers network to place calls. You are not using your landline number to place calls. When the landline is ported over, then your landline number is registered to your account, then you can receive calls as well as place calls with your own number.
    02-13-10 10:40 AM
    Show's where time has gone, I didn't know you could port a land line NPA-NXX to a wireless service. Didn't think the numbering plan allowed that. Porting wireless to wireless sure, but...well...okay!
    02-13-10 01:11 PM
    Here I think you are mistaken, you will be able to make and receive calls from the landline until the second that the port is done. On the cell phone you can only place calls because the phone is shipped with it's own phone number which can be registered on your carriers network to place calls. You are not using your landline number to place calls. When the landline is ported over, then your landline number is registered to your account, then you can receive calls as well as place calls with your own number.
    I may have read this wrong, but whenever the port is completed either in a store, or by a telesales rep the home number will show up on the wireless device when out going calls are placed. No other number will show up on the wireless device. If I were to call this person's home number it would ring on their home phone, but if they needed to call me back they would use their cell and on my caller ID it would register their home number. It's the exact same process in wireless to wireless ports, however it happens so quickly that we don't see the lag like we did when porting first started. I remember working in a best buy the day (Black Friday) porting started, we told customer's it would be minimum 3 days, and could take up to 14 business days for it to be completed... times have changed...
    02-13-10 01:33 PM
    You CAN NOT make calls from your landline. You MAKE calls from your NEW CELLULAR DEVICE and the home phone is for INCOMING. It's all due to routing.

The breakdown is like this...

When you walk into VZW and say I want to port in my home number from XYZ.

Once we go through the process and you purchase the new device it will then be activated. You are now ready to use your cellular device... for outbound calls only. Reason why is that we have yet to complete the port. You have started the porting process at this point. There is no point of disconnection yet from your landline carrier.

Your home phone is still active to receive calls due to the same reason. We have yet to complete the port.
    02-15-10 10:12 AM
    A routing issue is why I think that it is the other way. You can still make and receive calls on your landline until the port is complete. Until the port is complete the landline company still has routing to and from the existing number. When Verizon sends out a phone, there is an existing phone number assigned to that phone. It is with this number that you are able to place calls on the network , which is why it cannot receive calls using the soon to be ported number. It is not using the ported number because that is still routed through the landline company.
    Taking what I understand about routing and networking, this seems to me to be the way it works. I don't think it can work any other way. Unless I am misunderstanding the time frame for the actual port process.
    Last edited by Gnomad; 02-15-10 at 12:06 PM.
    02-15-10 10:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD