Anyone running a Passport on Cricket. I am looking at moving from Verizon to Cricket in March.
    02-12-15 10:13 AM
    Not sure about Cricket, but you may want to give Ting a look. Sometime in February they are supposed to move their onto some GSM spectrum in addition to their offerings on Sprint's network. Here's some info in case you are interested. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=UjmfEqsS
    02-12-15 10:25 AM
    Not yet..... but I'll probably be getting a Cricket PAYG nano-Sim sometime in April or May 2015 as I expect to be in Nevada.

I've used Cricket many times before for trips to Nevada (Las Vegas, Laughlin, etc) with my old Bold 9xxx's and coverage was excellent when you were in a town or city.

Note: if you buy your Sim from a stall in a shopping mall - make sure they realise whether you are CDMA or GSM - this has caused an issue in the past.... (the chap working the stall was a bit clueless......).

Please post back and let us know how Cricket works for you on your Passport - whereabouts will you be based?
    02-12-15 10:35 AM
    Not sure about Cricket, but you may want to give Ting a look. Sometime in February they are supposed to move their onto some GSM spectrum in addition to their offerings on Sprint's network. Here's some info in case you are interested. https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=gR_UoNEu
    I am in Washington State and travel up and down the west coast often. I need good coverage in rural areas, so I need to stay with Verizon or AT&T as network providers. Since Cricket is AT&T, I wanted to give them a try as they also have good international plans.
    02-12-15 10:41 AM
    Check out my thread on Harbor Mobile (Tmobile reseller)

Theyre slightly cheaper

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-994686/
    02-12-15 10:58 AM
    Check out my thread on Harbor Mobile (Tmobile reseller)

Theyre slightly cheaper

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-994686/
    Same issue - T Mobile has very bad coverage outside major metropolitan areas. Their maps are not accurate. Was given a trial phone by a small business rep and traveled throughout the state for a month. Did not like the results.
    02-12-15 11:02 AM
    I put my mom on Cricket with her BlackBerry Passport, she loves it! Pays $35/mo with autopay, though I'm thinking about putting her onto Ting at the end of February to try to save her a little more money. She's not a phone-heavy user per se, and would benefit from only paying for what she uses.

For me though, I'm definitely switching to Cricket eventually, once the money in my Boost Mobile account drains out.
    02-12-15 08:06 PM
    Passport on Cricket?-83734119_edit.jpg
    All these devices have been run on Cricket no issue. Enjoy the savings!

Posted via CB10
    BionicKris likes this.
    02-13-15 08:44 PM
    All these devices have been run on Cricket no issue. Enjoy the savings!

Posted via CB10
    Hi Gregory, do these BlackBerrys all run on GSM or are they CDMA ?
    02-13-15 10:37 PM
    Hi Gregory, do these BlackBerrys all run on GSM or are they CDMA ?
    These are all unlocked BlackBerrys and run on GSM. They all get 4GLTE except the Q5 which is the European model I believe (it was really hard to find an American model in Pink for some reason) but it gets the 4G network just fine.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-14-15 08:04 AM
    Hey, I'm running my Passport on Cricket. I get LTE all the time here in the Chicago area and good signal at that. Call quality is fine and texts / picture texts work just fine. I've read others saying that visual voicemail doesn't work but I haven't ever messed with it, so I don't know about that personally. Regular voicemail works well for me. I haven't taken it on the road but I'm guessing it will be better than T-Mo's coverage, which really takes a hit as soon as you leave the city areas.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    02-15-15 01:44 AM
    If anyone was wondering the Visual Voicemail android app appears to be a no go. At least unmodified.
    Passport on Cricket?-img_20150216_180424.png
    Passport on Cricket?-img_20150216_180840.png

Posted via a phone that probably has a hardware keyboard
    02-16-15 05:19 PM
    What is the difference between Cricket and GoPhone - both are owned by AT&T
    02-16-15 05:49 PM
    Go phone gives you less data but faster for more $$

02-16-15 08:59 PM
    Not yet..... but I'll probably be getting a Cricket PAYG nano-Sim sometime in April or May 2015 as I expect to be in Nevada.

I've used Cricket many times before for trips to Nevada (Las Vegas, Laughlin, etc) with my old Bold 9xxx's and coverage was excellent when you were in a town or city.

Note: if you buy your Sim from a stall in a shopping mall - make sure they realise whether you are CDMA or GSM - this has caused an issue in the past.... (the chap working the stall was a bit clueless......).

Please post back and let us know how Cricket works for you on your Passport - whereabouts will you be based?
    EDIT / CORRECTION!!

Apparently, according to my brother-in-law, who works for a big telco with a huge mobile division, there would not have been Sim Cards for CDMA phones when I last purchased a Cricket Sim Card in Las Vegas.....

So, no idea what would have been in the little Cricket Envelope with CDMA written on the front of it.... do you need some type of clever code to use your phone on a different CDMA network?

Apologies for any confusion, I honestly thought that it was an either/or Sim Card situation (eg GSM vs CDMA)
    02-22-15 05:34 AM
    I wouldn't really worry at all about the old CDMA network. You won't be using it anymore anyways. But yeah, you would have had to "flash" the phone. It was overly complicated. With the new Cricket it's literally plug and play. Here's your SIM, put that in your phone and tada!

BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-22-15 09:24 AM
    I was told today by both Straight Talk and Cricket that their networks didn't support my Passport. That it would work for a while and then just quit. I don't understand that at all. I'm on straight talk now and was able to get phone, internet, BBM, email, text to work. What didn't work was attaching a file in a plain text message. It wouldn't send so I called customer service, in the process of checking my settings they finally said, oh you have a BlackBerry (I did tell them that) it isn't supported and will quit working. So I checked with Cricket, who told me the same thing. Which is why I'm checking the forums to see if anyone has used a Passport on either of these. It sounds like ya'll have with no problem? For a long time? Thank you, I'd like to use my Passport!
    03-25-15 11:30 PM
    I was told today by both Straight Talk and Cricket that their networks didn't support my Passport. That it would work for a while and then just quit. I don't understand that at all. I'm on straight talk now and was able to get phone, internet, BBM, email, text to work. What didn't work was attaching a file in a plain text message. It wouldn't send so I called customer service, in the process of checking my settings they finally said, oh you have a BlackBerry (I did tell them that) it isn't supported and will quit working. So I checked with Cricket, who told me the same thing. Which is why I'm checking the forums to see if anyone has used a Passport on either of these. It sounds like ya'll have with no problem? For a long time? Thank you, I'd like to use my Passport!
    Likely they are misinformed or think the Passport needs the old BlackBerry BIS plans/networks.

As for issue. It's actually impossible to attach a file to an sms text message (just doesn't support it).

Have you been able to do this with another device before? I would be very surprised! Perhaps in that previous device it automatically switched to some instant messaging service (like imessages or hangouts, or MMS for pictures)?

Posted via CB10
    03-25-15 11:47 PM
    Likely they are misinformed or think the Passport needs the old BlackBerry BIS plans/networks.

As for issue. It's actually impossible to attach a file to an sms text message (just doesn't support it).

Have you been able to do this with another device before? I would be very surprised! Perhaps in that previous device it automatically switched to some instant messaging service (like imessages or hangouts, or MMS for pictures)?

Posted via CB10
    I apologize, I wasn't very clear. I meant using the plain or regular Text message as opposed to BlackBerry Messenger. Sure, the Passport did it when it was on AT&T, when I attach a picture or sent to more than one person at a time it just flipped into mms on it's own. I could attach any file and it was fine. But on Straight Talk it would only send a text message, no attachments. But it will send a plain text message with no attachment to more than one person at a time. BlackBerry messenger would send files no problem.

Again, I apologize, I meant just using the text message app. I would go mms when it needed to.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    03-25-15 11:58 PM
    I apologize, I wasn't very clear. I meant using the plain or regular Text message as opposed to BlackBerry Messenger. Sure, the Passport did it when it was on AT&T, when I attach a picture or sent to more than one person at a time it just flipped into mms on it's own. I could attach any file and it was fine. But on Straight Talk it would only send a text message, no attachments. But it will send a plain text message with no attachment to more than one person at a time. BlackBerry messenger would send files no problem.

Again, I apologize, I meant just using the text message app. I would go mms when it needed to.
    Ah ok. So it sounds like MMS is not working. Can you receive MMS?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 08:38 AM
    I know that Cricket is phasing out their CDMA network in favor of GSM. At this time Passport devices are only available as GSM; it's possible that the Cricket customer service person didn't know that. More likely (as another poster stated) that the Cricket customer service person incorrectly believes that BlackBerry 10 devices still need BIS.

I've been using my Shop.Blackberry.com Passport on Cricket for a few months now without any issues.

8320 -> 9650 -> 9930 / Playbook -> Q10 -> Passport
    03-28-15 07:31 PM
    I use my passport on cricket all I had to do was buy a nano sim card

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 08:48 PM
    I'm thinking of moving to Cricket from Metro but Cricket reps are telling me the Passport will only do 3g. Are you guys getting LTE with yours? I am thinking they just are unfamiliar with the Passport lol
    03-29-15 08:57 PM
    I'm thinking of moving to Cricket from Metro but Cricket reps are telling me the Passport will only do 3g. Are you guys getting LTE with yours? I am thinking they just are unfamiliar with the Passport lol
    Not to worry, you will get LTE on your Passport. My experience below might explain why the Cricket reps are mistaken:

I used the Cricket web site to transfer my cell number and to order my nanoSIM card. The Cricket web site naturally asked me to enter my new, unlocked Passport's IMEI number to verify that my phone wasn't stolen and to verify Cricket compatibility. It reported that my phone's IMEI was clean, but that I would only receive 3G data. Knowing that the Passport's radio supported all of the correct LTE bands for AT&T (Cricket's network), I proceeded with the order regardless. My Passport is receiving LTE service, albeit with the Cricket-imposed 8Mbps speed cap.

One other item to be aware of: I only see the "LTE" indicator when I am not connected to a WiFi network.

8320 -> 9650 -> 9930 / Playbook -> Q10 -> Passport
    officially_juju likes this.
    03-30-15 05:44 AM
    So I took my mom to Cricket to activate her Moto G on their network. The rep looked at my phone asking what it was... I explained to him it was the Passport and it even works on Cricket (as I've read here... I am a MetroPCS customer right now). He said, "Oh... good for now but BlackBerry... no support in the future. They will be gone." I just gave him a look. He doesn't even know what he is talking about.
    Anyways... I am still debating. My Passport works flawlessly and fast on Metro so I'm not sure if I'll switch. I'd be giving up blazing fast LTE with less coverage for capped LTE with better coverage. lol
    03-30-15 06:59 PM
41 12