Hey, I am currently a Tmobile customer with a blackberry 8320. I am considering killing my tmobile contract, unlocking my bb and opening up an att account. However, I have noticed that on ATT.com you must add a phone to your cart before you add plans. Is this just an online policy? Can I go into my local att store and open an account without buying a phone? Or will I just have to get a crappy free phone with my service and then throw my SIM card in my bb? Thanks for the help.
    10-24-09 08:49 AM
    I don't see the Reps letting this happen.
    10-24-09 08:51 AM
    damn, that sucks. I really want to switch cell phone companies, but I don't have the money for a new phone (blackberry or iphone)...damn...
    10-24-09 08:58 AM
    Do you plan on buying the Blackberry service when you switch to ATT or just use the wifi service that's on the phone.. I have made the switch both ways, but there is a couple of snaggs that you have to be careful of..
    10-24-09 09:19 AM
    I am planning on getting the blackberry service. I just want to open an account without sacrificing my 2 year phone upgrade so that I can get an iphone later this winter when I have some $
    10-24-09 09:29 AM
    They should just open the account then..You will have to do a contract.. You can call ATT and they will give you the code to unlock the phone.. They do for us..
    10-24-09 09:40 AM
    Just a few questions - If I open the account now with my current phone, will I be able to buy a subsidized iPhone in december or so? And can ATT unlock a T-Mobile device?
    10-24-09 10:05 AM
    I didn't read the entire thread but YES you can absolutely sign a contract without buying a phone. You would be throwing away ~$200 worth of discounts towards a phone however. Just get a free phone and throw ur SIM card into the BB. if u need service for the BB just call att and have them update your IMEI to the bb IMEI and add BB service
    10-24-09 10:16 AM
    Ok, I just called ATT and the representative was extremely nice, equally as nice as the TMO reps I have talked to. He did say that I can sign on w/o getting a phone, but he also said that I would NOT be throwing away my subsidy, and that I could get a subsidized phone in a couple of months. Are there any ATT reps on the boards who can help clarify this please.
    10-24-09 10:18 AM
    You don't have to do a contract, call CSR and have them set you up with a month to month plan. You will have to submit to a credit check tho
    10-24-09 10:47 AM
    Ok, I just called ATT and the representative was extremely nice, equally as nice as the TMO reps I have talked to. He did say that I can sign on w/o getting a phone, but he also said that I would NOT be throwing away my subsidy, and that I could get a subsidized phone in a couple of months. Are there any ATT reps on the boards who can help clarify this please.
    just make sure you get this in writing..
    10-26-09 06:51 PM
    i was on verizon with the storm but i swapped my storm for some guys bold so i had to switch to att.. i was able to add on to a family plan with no problem. no contract, still get the benefits of a family plan, just have to buy the sim card, and pay the activation fee. if for any reason i want a new phone, i can upgrade anytime since i have no contract and still get the two year contract discount without breaking my family plan. its a month to month thing.
    11-14-09 05:33 AM
    this can absolutely be done one of two ways. Go to a cor store, tell them what you want and they can activate you with a 2year contract and note the account that you used existing equipment so you are still eligible to upgrade. The other option is go to a cor store and tell them you want to do it month to month. They can activate you and under the commitment pull down put 0 months. Either way would make you eligible for an upgrade whenever you want. When you go to get the iphone just have the rep read the notes in your account saying that you were using existing equipment.
    11-15-09 12:18 PM
    Just have them activate it month to month...any other way they do it will cause you problems down the line. If a rep tells you it can't be done, ask to speak to another bc they're bs-ing you
    11-17-09 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD