I was at the VZW store getting a case for my Droid and the rep showed me some Omnia 2 pics and said it will be dropping tomorrow...

What i like is the AMOLED screen, but Winmo 6.5 doesn't cut it for me...

That's all i got, just wanted to spread the word in case anyone was wondering...

MOOSE

SAMSUNG OMNIA II
    Last edited by JoeyMoose; 12-01-09 at 08:19 PM.
    12-01-09 08:17 PM
    There is a Verizon rep coming to my work tomorrow. I might have to try and sneak out and see if she has one with her.
    12-01-09 08:52 PM
    It is on the VZW site now.
    12-01-09 09:11 PM
    Really? They must not like me, I sure as heck can't find it. lol
    12-01-09 10:07 PM
    its there now. 519 full retail
    12-01-09 11:03 PM
    Its in the PDA/Smartphones section, below the Motorola Droid
    12-01-09 11:05 PM
    I see it in the PDA section, but it's not letting me upgrade. Either employees miss out on the first run, or whether or not you get to order is a time-zone thing.
    12-01-09 11:33 PM
    Really? They must not like me, I sure as heck can't find it. lol
    May have been a regional thing - or something. Not sure, but with 2yr, it is $199.

Do not look at the specs on the VZW site - in typically shoddy VZW site fashion, the specs when comparing are different than the advertised specs when looking at the phone detail & both are different than what Samsung says. Go with the Samsung specs - VZW is too ashamed to even mention WM6.5 on the smartphone page - you have to delve deep into the specs sheet to find it.
    12-01-09 11:36 PM
    Thanks Twin!
    12-02-09 05:12 AM
    VZW is too ashamed to even mention WM6.5 on the smartphone page - you have to delve deep into the specs sheet to find it.
    You do?

If you follow this link

Enter your location

it's clearly spelled out. I guess that could hidden to some people.
    12-02-09 07:47 AM
    And if the link doesn't take you there directly, this is what you see immediately after clicking on the Omnia 2.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Samsung Omnia� II will change your perception of what a phone can do. The first to offer Swype technology, the Omnia II allows you to type up to 50 words per minute without lifting finger. It also features one of the largest widescreen displays ever at 3.7 inches, delivering brilliance in clarity and color. The oversized touch screen gives you plenty of room to take advantage of premium multimedia features like creating and editing videos, the DivX video player offers high quality playback that makes dramatic use of the brilliant AMOLED display, Wi�Fi access and built�in widgets for Facebook and MySpace are tools for a networking genius. Add in Visual Voice Mail, Microsoft� Office Mobile, full consumer and corporate email support, and the Omnia II gives you smarter ways to work, socialize and communicate, all in one stroke.
    Features

* 3.7" WVGA Display with AMOLED Technology
    * Virtual QWERTY Keyboard
    * Widget Tool Bar with One�Touch Access to Facebook�, MySpace and YouTube�
    * Online Widgets
    * Up to 16GB microSD� Optional Removable Memory
    * Bluetooth profiles (V 2.0+EDR): Headset, Hands�free, Stereo, Serial Port, Dial�up Networking, Object Push for vCard and vCalendar, File Transfer, Basic Printing, Basic Imaging, Phonebook Access and Human Interface device.
    * 5.0 Megapixel Digital Camera/Camcorder with Flash
    * Brightness Adjustment
    * Self Timer: Off, 2, 5 or 10 Seconds
    * Color Effects: None, Black and White, Antique, Sepia, Negative, Green, Watercolor
    * Shooting Mode: Single, Continuous, Smile, Mosaic, Panorama, Action
    * Resolution Adjustment: 2560x1920, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 640x480
    * Digital Zoom
    * Shutter Sound Selection
    * Video Editor
    * Embedded Ringtones, Vibrating Alerts and Silent
    * V CAST Music with Rhapsody� (subscription, wireless and PC downloads) capable
    * V CAST Video on Demand capable
    * VZ Navigatorsm capable
    * Visual Voice Mail capable
    * Voicemail
    * Opera� Mobile Browser
    * HTML Web Browser
    * Bing Search
    * Text, Picture and Video Messaging with Threaded Messaging Feature
    * Swype and xt9 Predictive Texting
    * Mobile Email and Mobile IM capable
    * Windows Mobile Device Center and ActiveSync

* Windows Mobile� 6.5 Professional
    * Microsoft� Office Word Mobile, Excel�, Mobile, PowerPoint� Mobile, and MSOneNote Mobile; Adobe� Reader� LE PDF Viewer
    * View, Edit, Create Word and Excel files; View only PowerPoint and PDF files; View, Extract, Create ZIP files
    * Personal Organizer: Calendar with Scheduler
    * Tools: Alarm Clock, World Clock, Calculator, Memo, Tasks, Unit Converter
    * Smart Reader: BizCard, Document, Translation and Image
    * FM Radio
    * Phonebook capacity dependent on available memory
    * Speed Dialing
    * Voice Dialing
    * Voice Command capable
    * Speakerphone
    * RSS Reader
    * Podcast
    * Digital Frame
    * Wi�Fi capable (802.11 b/g)
    * Media Player
    * Mobile Broadband Connect capable
    * TTY capable
    * GPS/E911
    * Assisted GPS and Standalone GPS
    * 3.5mm Headset Jack
    * Airplane Mode
    * Hearing Aid Compatibility = M4

Specifications

* CDMA 1x EVDO Rev A: 800/1900 mHz
    * Dimensions: 4.75" (H) x 2.38" (W) x 0.53" (D)
    * Display: 3.7" AMOLED; 800x480 Pixel, WVGA, 16M AMOLED Touch
    * Memory: 512 Flash/208 RAM (+ 8GB of internal user memory)
    * Weight: 5.08 oz with standard battery
    * Standard Battery � 1500 mAh
    * Usage: Up to 360 minutes OR
    * Standby: Up to 375 hours
    * SAR information: Head: 1.06 W/kg; Body: 0.932 W/kg

* Windows Mobile� 6.5 Professional
    * 8GB Internal Memory Capacity
    * 5.0 Megapixel Digital Camera/Camcorder with Flash
    * Premium HTML Web Browser
    * Bluetooth�* Stereo Support
    * TTY Compatible
    * Hearing Aid Compatibility = M4
    For details on Hearing Aid Compatibility, see About Us � Accessibility.
    * Meets FCC SAR limit. Manufacturer's highest FCC reported SAR 1.06 W/kg at ear, 0.932 W/kg on body. Actual SAR may vary.
    For more information on Radio Frequency Emissions, see About Us � Wireless Issues.

*The Samsung Omnia II supports Bluetooth Profiles (V 2.0+EDR): Headset, Hands�free, Stereo, Serial Port, Dial�up Networking, Object Push for vCard and vCalendar, File Transfer, Basic Printing, Basic Imaging, Phonebook Access and Human Interface device.

Support information for this phone
    Included Accessories

* Standard Lithium Ion Battery (1500 mAh)
    * Wall/USB Charger
    * Stylus
    * Mic Adapter/FM Radio Antenna
    * User Manual CD
    * Companion CD
    * VZAccess Manager� CD
    * Quick Start Guide
    * Quick Reference Guide
    * Product Safety and Warranty Guide

* Quick Access to YouTube� and Facebook�
    * V CAST Video on Demand
    * V CAST Music with Rhapsody� (subscription, wireless and PC downloads) capable
    * Wi�Fi Ready
    * Mobile Broadband Connect
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whew, had to dig deep for that!
    12-02-09 07:51 AM
    Yea, Actually Windows Mobile� 6.5 Professional was in BOLD BLACK LETTERS.

Maybe he was looking at it on a covert operation pre-release crappy Blackberry device and it didn't render it correctly.
    12-02-09 09:28 AM
    I heard they took the GPS/navi function off the phone and you would have to use VZ's navi. Can anyone verify this?

I'm like 90% sure this will be my next phone. Droid is too big. Eris is my 2nd choice. Just gotta make sure I can deal with the digital keyboard and hoping its not too big. All in all phone looks amazing!
    12-02-09 10:30 AM
    I got the Droid but I still gotta go see this one.....
    12-02-09 11:48 AM
    I heard they took the GPS/navi function off the phone and you would have to use VZ's navi. Can anyone verify this?
    You do not have to use VZNav. The phone is advertised with standalone GPS capability - unlike the Google Nav feature on Droid, this does not require a data connection. In fact, the GPS feature will continue to give you directions even after VZW disconnects your service for non-payment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 12:23 PM
    I'm going to go play with it today if i get a minute. Looked pretty cool when the Rep showed me it online yesterday. The emulator was pretty nice also, I just want to see that AMOLED screen!!!!

Is this the first cell phone with a AMOLED screen?
    12-02-09 12:33 PM
    You do not have to use VZNav. The phone is advertised with standalone GPS capability - unlike the Google Nav feature on Droid, this does not require a data connection. In fact, the GPS feature will continue to give you directions even after VZW disconnects your service for non-payment.

You don't need a data connection to use GPS on the Droid. It too has GPS hardware unless you're wanting to use the assisted location, then you won't need a signal.

There are stand alone solutions for mapping as well, but who needs that when you have Google Maps w/Nav?!

Oh and I don't think someone who just had their phone turned off is really worried about taking a trip somewhere to use their phone's GPS nav.
    12-02-09 01:11 PM
    Do not look at the specs on the VZW site - in typically shoddy VZW site fashion, the specs when comparing are different than the advertised specs when looking at the phone detail & both are different than what Samsung says.
    So what's VZW leaving out from their specs vs Samsung specs?
    12-02-09 01:13 PM
    So what's VZW leaving out from their specs vs Samsung specs?
    Don't you remember? Verizon and Samsung had a bit of a disagreement, to the point where apparently, last I heard, VZW was ready to tell Samsung to take a hike; so now Verizon is trying to sabotage Samsung and Windows Mobile by omitting "Windows Mobile 6.5!" on the main PDA/Smartphones page, even though its on the Imagio (though to be honest, if you don't know what you're getting when purchasing an Omnia II you're an 1diot)... But Verizon needs to be careful, because supposedly, Microsoft has stepped up a bit & is rumored to be threatening VZW with no WM devices when WM7 comes out if they don't stop artificially messing with the WM market the way they have been.
    Verizon needs to hurry up with the public disclosure about this (like the government with aliens), so my WinMo theory can be proven true.
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 12-02-09 at 02:03 PM.
    12-02-09 01:51 PM
    Don't you remember? Verizon and Samsung had a bit of a disagreement, to the point where apparently, last I heard, VZW was ready to tell Samsung to take a hike; so now Verizon is trying to sabotage Samsung and Windows Mobile by omitting "Windows Mobile 6.5!" on the main PDA/Smartphones page, even though its on the Imagio (though to be honest, if you don't know what you're getting when purchasing an Omnia II you're an 1diot)... But Verizon needs to be careful, because supposedly, Microsoft has stepped up a bit & is rumored to be threatening VZW with no WM devices when WM7 comes out if they don't stop artificially messing with the WM market the way they have been.
    Verizon needs to hurry up with the public disclosure about this (like the government with aliens), so my WinMo theory can be proven true.
    *GASP* DON'T TAKE AWAY WINDOWS MOBILE!!!!!!
    12-02-09 02:05 PM
    *GASP* DON'T TAKE AWAY WINDOWS MOBILE!!!!!!
    There's no way Windows Mobile sells better than Blackberry/Droid/Palm anyday... Oh wait... No they don't...
    12-02-09 02:14 PM
    There's no way Windows Mobile sells better than Blackberry/Droid/Palm anyday... Oh wait... No they don't...
    This isn't possible...

WinMo is the best, most capable OS available, and the Omnia 2, with its incredible screen and 200% better than Tour battery life, is the best phone out there. So if you wander off out into the wilderness where no one ever travels, and lose a data connection, and your phone is suspended for non-pay, you can still find your way home... Thank God Microsoft is looking out for us, while Big Bad Red is just trying to shove a Droid down our throat...
    Last edited by R.O.C.; 12-02-09 at 02:28 PM.
    12-02-09 02:26 PM
    This isn't possible...

WinMo is the best, most capable OS available, and the Omnia 2, with its incredible screen and 200% better than Tour battery life, is the best phone out there. So if you wander off out into the wilderness where no one ever travels, and lose a data connection, and your phone is suspended for non-pay, you can still find your way home... Thank God Microsoft is looking out for us, while Big Bad Red is just trying to shove a Droid down our throat...
    Where is your proof!!

12-02-09 02:33 PM
    I'm going to go play with it today if i get a minute. Looked pretty cool when the Rep showed me it online yesterday. The emulator was pretty nice also, I just want to see that AMOLED screen!!!!

Is this the first cell phone with a AMOLED screen?
    No the Samsung Rouge has the same type of screen

12-02-09 02:34 PM
    Great news everyone... I've found a post by and extremely reputable and consistent contributer that should allow everyone to sleep easier tonight...

go to any metro area and all service is the same. You get 2 bars in Walpole WI, fantastic. 99% of you never travel more than 100 miles in any direction, yet you are duped into thinking that big red map matters at all. VZW has an awesome con going on, lol. Who cares how red the map is, 1% of you are going to go somewhere where you cant find coverage.

Apparently only 1% of all sheep travel to areas where there is no coverage. So you should have data coverage wherever you go, and won't have to worry about your navigation application of choice going out on you...

But, unfortunately, if your account gets suspended because you didn't pay your overpriced Verizon Wireless bill, your Omnia 2 will be there with you to get you home...
    12-02-09 02:55 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD