OK everyone, I know there is a thread about a bulletin supposedly seen in Best Buy about unlimited data plans going up by $5 (Unlimited Web, Email, and IM), but I thought this deserved a new thread since it is now confirmed.

I just got an email from TELUS about my Toronto account number, confirming that my Unlimited Web, Email, and IM 25 is going up by $5 effective March 4, 2010.

The email reads:

"Dear Valued Client,

Important changes to local and long distance rates
    Please note that on March 4th, 2010, the monthly fee for Call Canada 30, Nationwide 30, North America 35, or Unlimited Web, Email and Instant Messaging will increase by $5.
    We recognize that you have a choice for your wireless services and we thank you for choosing TELUS.
    Sincerely,

Dan Golberg
    Vice President, Client Loyalty & Retention"

If you are currently in a contract, you should be able to call up TELUS and demand either to be let out of the contract, or for them to honour the lower price of your unlimited data plan.

So far, I have not received an email regarding my Manitoba based Storm 9530's unlimited plan, so it is possible that some will escape the increase.

TELUS is really pushing it IMHO... they aren't good enough to be raising prices and still have me keep them as my provider.
    02-01-10 05:39 PM
    so we can break the contract? am i rite?
    02-01-10 06:28 PM
    they are pathetic giving all telus users an option to go to wind mobile or other providers. Even thou its just $5 but its just not rite. If we are on a contract, we can not leave the contract but they can increase the price where ever they want. Its like tomorrow they will be like
    Dear "Valued" Customer,

We are writing to inform you that all plans are going up by $10

Sick of this
    02-01-10 06:29 PM
    You should be able to get out of your contract, as long as they will not agree to keep the plan the same price until your contract expires.
    02-01-10 07:20 PM
    It this true? Can I get out of my contract if they change the price? Did we agree to potential price hikes in the TOS?
    02-02-10 12:48 PM
    It this true? Can I get out of my contract if they change the price? Did we agree to potential price hikes in the TOS?
    that's true.
    "The code, introduced by the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association on Tuesday, promises to let customers cancel their contracts without early termination fees if the carrier makes material changes to terms � or customers can refuse the changes outright."

Read more: CBC News - Technology & Science - Cellphone users get to reject contract changes

hope that helps you.
    02-02-10 02:19 PM
    EDIT: Looks like the information I was given initially was incorrect. See my response below.
    Last edited by Krypto; 02-03-10 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Retraction
    02-02-10 05:30 PM
    Has anyone even tried calling Telus????????

I just got off the phone with them and so long as you have this plan right now, you will be fine as you've been grandfathered. The plans will be changing for future changes (so lets say you want to add unlimited data or a Call Canada plan after March 4th on an existing account - the price will go up by $5/month versus what you could get it for now).

If you already have one of these plans in effect, you will be fine and you should see no changes.

Please ensure you have all the facts before posting something like this.
    Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think this wrong. The plans that are referenced in the emails are specifically the unlimited plans which don't exist anymore and can't be added to new or current customers looking for dataplans. So how can they apply a price increase to a situation that shouldn't happen according to their own rules? I'm not sure which plans it will affect, but I'm certain it will apply to current customers that already have the plans on their account.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-02-10 10:26 PM
    I would just be happy with an unlimited web plan. I was told that I couldn't have unlimited web on my blackberry, that was only for regular phones not smartphones.
    02-02-10 11:00 PM
    wrong. You CANNOT terminate your contract without termination charges. You need to define what material changes are in its legal context. Their service terms have not changed, and in their service terms they reserve the right to change your feature prices at any time. You are guaranteed your core plan and minutes, however features can be modified by the carriers. You will note that the CBC report above does not actually specify what type of price increase. Thats because the true meaning here is that carriers cannot increase the price of your core plan, but they can with with you're features.

There are far smarter and more educated people making these decisions in strategic way. Believe me, they wouldnt increase prices if they thought that everyone could just cancel without termination charges.
    02-03-10 02:16 AM
    I will be looking into this further as apparently you guys weren't happy with my answer.

Still, who else has called Telus and even asked? Right now, everyone is still speculating.

By the way, are you absolutely 100% sure the unlimited plan is gone? Just because it's not on their webpage doesn't mean anything.
    Last edited by Krypto; 02-03-10 at 02:47 AM.
    02-03-10 02:44 AM
    I keep hearing both sides of this argument. Most people I talk to say the plan will be grandfathered as has happened in the past when telus retired plans to make way for a new line of plans...gonna have to talk to telus today
    02-03-10 09:34 AM
    Trust me im not speculating. My post above is correct. You can call and confirm if you want. Been there done that.
    02-03-10 12:30 PM
    Ok, I have to eat my words. And I will be taking full advantage of this with a call to L&R.

Here are the important words from the email response I received from Telus:

"If you do have one of the plans listed for increase, that plan will be subject to the increase."
    02-03-10 02:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD