Finally some 5.0 love for 9530 users!

I stumbled upon the upgrade when i plugged my bb into desktop manager where it promted me for the upgrade so I don't have the link.
    04-02-10 02:23 AM
    04-02-10 03:36 AM
    Just checked with Telus. Still version 4.7.0.172.
    I only have Macs and can not download from another site. This phone is still JUNK..
    04-02-10 08:58 AM
    It isn't available for OTA upgrade.

And I'm on a mac too, so not sure how to get Desktop Manager to update mine.
    04-02-10 09:51 PM
    Jules, I haven't turned my computer on yet today so I haven't been able to confirm this upgrade is indeed available for Telus, but if you're on a Mac, you should be able to download BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac directly from the BlackBerry site.

You can use this to upgrade.
    04-03-10 02:31 AM
    The nice thing about Telus getting it (even if they are behind on the times) is that you can now call in to Telus for problems without having to downgrade. In addition, for those who have to stay with a carrier's official OS due to IT support at their company, this is a big deal. They can finally be allowed to upgrade.

Don't forget, its not always as easy as simply upgrading to whatever OS is available from other carriers.
    04-03-10 02:36 AM
    is this legit?
    04-03-10 03:09 AM
    I say not....Telus usually shoots a text indicating a upgrade is available.

DM
    04-03-10 08:45 AM
    just checked Telus website. Same old version. I talked to a service rep last week, it's definately coming but no eta. The rep said the RIM showed them a Storm with 5.0 and it was much faster etc.

sigh.
    04-03-10 09:00 AM
    Its not on the Telus site yet. Carriers sometimes do that - issue the update via the Desktop Manager first.

The main OS download page often isn't updated for a few days to a week.
    04-03-10 10:51 AM
    Has anyone else been able to update on a PC?

Because if so, I might have to dust out the old dell laptop, and try to update it there.
    04-03-10 01:04 PM
    did you do this since Thursday? I tried Desktop Manager then and there wasn't an undate.
    04-03-10 01:29 PM
    The problem is that because I've already upgraded to .419 (I'm actually running a hybrid that is past .419), I can't confirm myself (unless I downgrade and then attempt to upgrade - which I'd rather not do right now). And I called Telus to ask if OS 5.0 is available for the Storm, and while they say that my phone is eligible for a software upgrade, it doesn't say what version of the upgrade is available (it might still be for 4.7.0.122) so they don't really know either.

What I have found out is that Telus does not have a specific message anywhere in their system stating that OS 5.0 is now official. This can mean a couple of things.

1. Telus may finally be updating the OS but it's still so new in the system that their techs have not yet been notified. If this is the case, the manual download should show up on BlackBerry.com relatively soon (i.e. likely next week sometime).

2. Telus may be getting ready to release the OS upgrade and they may have been testing things and the OP managed to get lucky and upgrade early. If this is the case, it should be available relatively soon (i.e. the next few weeks).

3. It's possible the OP may have downloaded and installed OS 5.0.0.419 from Bell, MTS, etc, to his computer before and when he plugged the phone in, Desktop Manager saw the updated software on his computer and updated the phone with that software. If this is the case, there still likely won't be an OS update anytime soon.

I'll keep trying to figure this out and will let you know if I track down a concrete response. Alternately, if anyone else manages to find anything out, feel free to let us know.
    04-03-10 02:45 PM
    I downgraded to .122 connected to dm and no update was found I think this is guy was fooling us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-03-10 05:17 PM
    Blackmarket, if you haven't reupgraded yet, can you try via the blackberry.com/update site?
    04-03-10 05:33 PM
    Will try later gotta reinstall os cause its messed.

04-03-10 05:57 PM
    Will try later gotta reinstall os cause its messed.

Thanks, and good luck with the reinstall!
    04-03-10 07:41 PM
    didnt work no official os
    04-04-10 08:48 PM
    Too bad. Alas the wait continues!
    04-05-10 12:18 AM
    No longer. I just saw it on the telus website. At long last! Halellujah!
    04-06-10 09:18 AM
    I took a strange route. Instead of pissing and moaning about is it a scam or isn't it, I just went to RIM.

Sorry I can't post a link, but it's easy to find.
    04-06-10 10:26 AM
    yes it is on rims site...i just checked...about time...to bad it wasn't higher
    04-06-10 12:18 PM
    Interesting. I checked right around midnight last night and it still wasn't posted, although I had figured it if was going to come this week, it would likely be today (with today being the official start to the week and all).

Well then, there we go! Looks like option 1 was the correct option in my list of possible explanations after all.

EDIT: As a heads up, I've posted a quick note over on the Storm OS boards regarding this upgrade.
    Last edited by Krypto; 04-06-10 at 12:50 PM.
    04-06-10 12:40 PM
    installing as we speak. DAMN! I feel like a kid at Christmas. For the most part my Storm was running ok but its like updating to Win 7 after using Win 95 all this time.
    04-06-10 01:52 PM
    LOL, enjoy! It's a huge improvement from .122!
    04-06-10 03:22 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD