Was thinking of getting a Blackberry 9700 but I've been slowly loosing interest in the phone. I have the 8900 now and love it but I'm growing tired of Blackberry's and want something different. I've always had a soft spot for Nokia phones and I'm drooling over the new Nokia N900. How many of you are in this same spot as I am? I pre-ordered an N900 on Amazon already and patiently awaiting the official release. With the speeds I've heard people getting on T-Mobile, this is one device I'm truly excited about.

Who's with me? Don't get me wrong I still love my Crackberry!
    11-22-09 10:37 PM
    Any idea when the N900 is scheduled to be released?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-09 05:47 AM
    Any idea when the N900 is scheduled to be released?

Reports indicate that the units have started shipping from Nokia in Sweden. I'm guesstimating that we wont see these units ship until AFTER Christmas.

Here is the order page over on Amazon.com
    Amazon.com: Nokia N900 Unlocked Phone/Mobile Computer with 3.5-Inch Touchscreen, QWERTY, 5 MP Camera, Maemo Browser, 32 GB--U.S. Version with Full Warranty: Cell Phones & Service

Engadget N900 news
    Nokia N900 drops to $480 on Amazon -- Engadget Mobile
    11-23-09 11:10 AM
    Was thinking of getting a Blackberry 9700 but I've been slowly loosing interest in the phone. I have the 8900 now and love it but I'm growing tired of Blackberry's and want something different. I've always had a soft spot for Nokia phones and I'm drooling over the new Nokia N900. How many of you are in this same spot as I am? I pre-ordered an N900 on Amazon already and patiently awaiting the official release. With the speeds I've heard people getting on T-Mobile, this is one device I'm truly excited about.

Who's with me? Don't get me wrong I still love my Crackberry!
    Like you, I've has my eye on the N900 For some time now. It is the first device that has tempted me to leave VZW. But, I'm waiting till I can hold one in my hands before I shell out that kind of cash and give up my network.

11-23-09 11:24 AM
    I went on Nokia's website to look at the N900 and a chat window opened asking if I would like to chat with a representative. I took advantage of it to ask a few questions. My first question was...When will T-Mobile begin selling the phone? I was told the phone is not going to be sold through any carrier or with any plan. I asked if he meant now or ever. He said ever.

I find that very hard to believe that they only plan on selling the phone on their website for $649.
    11-23-09 12:08 PM
    I would buy a BB sold the way the Nokia N900 is being sold. I would be willing to pay to avoid all the carrier pushed junk. ATT, VZW, T-Mobile, Sprint all have some garbage they push to the phone. I'd be happy to be without Media net, Vcast, etc.

11-23-09 03:17 PM
    I went on Nokia's website to look at the N900 and a chat window opened asking if I would like to chat with a representative. I took advantage of it to ask a few questions. My first question was...When will T-Mobile begin selling the phone? I was told the phone is not going to be sold through any carrier or with any plan. I asked if he meant now or ever. He said ever.

I find that very hard to believe that they only plan on selling the phone on their website for $649.
    That doesn't strike me as unusual, the device doesn't need a SIM card to do a lot of its work. There are several high-end unlocked devices that are not retailed through carriers in the US. I can't speak to the European market though.
    11-23-09 03:44 PM

That's Nokia' style. 90% of their high end E or N series phones are sold unlocked and unbranded. Either way Nokia has huge following.

I consider pre-ordering a N900 but I'm turned off by plastic resistive touch screen.
    11-23-09 09:37 PM
    That's Nokia' style. 90% of their high end E or N series phones are sold unlocked and unbranded. Either way Nokia has huge following.

I consider pre-ordering a N900 but I'm turned off by plastic resistive touch screen.
    The unlocked and unbranded Nokia phones are better. AT&T took the E71, which was a great phone, and crippled it with the E71x.
    11-23-09 09:40 PM
    The unlocked and unbranded Nokia phones are better. AT&T took the E71, which was a great phone, and crippled it with the E71x.
    The E71x is a prime example of carrier bloatware.

11-24-09 07:51 AM
    I received my N900 3 days ago and been using since... It's once solid device; impressive 3.5G service all around. I'm impressed with the build quality on this unit and the open source OS has lots of potential for growth. I'm happy and keeping my T-mo 8900 crackberry for backup. Only thing I'll miss is the UMA
    12-11-09 06:38 AM
    I am always impressed by Nokia but am afraid to stray from UMA since T-Mobile coverage in my house is so bad. I have to add though that since getting 9700 the 3G is giving me some coverage in place where I had none and edge is also slightly better. The 3G is not supposed to penetrate as well as edge inside so I find that funny. I think the reception is better overall than my 8900 had.
    12-11-09 12:23 PM
    I am always impressed by Nokia but am afraid to stray from UMA since T-Mobile coverage in my house is so bad. I have to add though that since getting 9700 the 3G is giving me some coverage in place where I had none and edge is also slightly better. The 3G is not supposed to penetrate as well as edge inside so I find that funny. I think the reception is better overall than my 8900 had.
    Funny you mention this, I came across the same issue. My 3.5G service is more powerful at work (within the building) where EDGE would be 0 bars and always under UMA to place calls. I though 3G+ was better at coverage, but I could be wrong?

Cool nonetheless. I'm still holding on to my 8900; I love the little bugger.
    12-11-09 12:28 PM
    Funny you mention this, I came across the same issue. My 3.5G service is more powerful at work (within the building) where EDGE would be 0 bars and always under UMA to place calls. I though 3G+ was better at coverage, but I could be wrong?

Cool nonetheless. I'm still holding on to my 8900; I love the little bugger.
    You may be right about 3G but in my head remember lower frequency penetrates better but may not apply to 3G? Good luck with that great Nokia N900!!

I am hanging on to my 8900 as a backup also.
    12-11-09 12:44 PM
    I'm hearing really good things about Fenec. I know there's a push to get a Berry version of this OS. I don't know if this will happen, but there's a lot of people out there in the Mozilla developer world that are working on some variation. Who knows if it will ever see daylight.
    12-12-09 08:10 PM
    screw the n9000 BB all the way
    12-12-09 08:14 PM
    I've been eying the N900 for some time. Its been a while since Nokia excited me about a new phone, ever since my trusted N95 8gb. It seemed like everyone grew up and decided to bring new features while nokia was still selling the same [crippling] symbian OS with new covers.

Congrats on the purchase!
    12-14-09 04:02 AM
    screw the n9000 BB all the way
    I love mature answers like this one...
    12-14-09 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD