Greetings,

I sent a request to T-Mobile (via e-mail) some 3 weeks ago, concerning getting an unlock code for the phone I purchased from them with a plan (through a distributor), and I havent' heard back. Is this normal with TMO? What can I do to get the code?
    11-17-08 09:46 AM
    There are a few sites where you can purchase unlock codes. Why don't you try contacting CS first?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 09:47 AM
    I'd give customer service a call
    11-17-08 09:50 AM
    Have you been with T-Mob for more than 90 days? If not, then that could be the reason you never rec'd the code. If you have been with T-Mob for more than 90 days, the code is usually emailed to you in approx. 24 hours after the request is submitted. Check your spam box as it may have gone there. If the code is not there call customer care as there will be notes on the account from the unlock team as to whether they were able to provide the code or not. If they did it will be noted on your account and the rep. you speak with can provide you the details of the unlock code.
    11-17-08 09:52 AM
    Thank you bass-68, I've indeed been with TMO for less than 90 days. I'll wait some more, there is not hurry.
    11-17-08 11:17 AM
    Thank you bass-68, I've indeed been with TMO for less than 90 days. I'll wait some more, there is not hurry.
    The rep. you spoke with should have advised you of that. With that being said, you'll need to make a request again after you've been with TMO for 90 days since they won't automatically send you the code after your 90 days period is up. Also, part of the request process is that you can only make one request every 90 days as well, so I am not sure if you'll have to wait it out 90 days beyond your original request.
    11-17-08 01:48 PM
    Yes, you need to wait for 90 days since you've been with T-mobile. Then they'll email you the code and instructions on how to unlock.

I'm also getting mine unlocked...they're super nice about it!
    11-17-08 02:04 PM
    One reason I like AT&T, I called in and talked to a CSR about an unlock code and she gave it to me right then (she was even willing to walk me thru the process IF I didn't know how to do it) so total time to get my TMO Pearl unlocked 5 minutes on the phone, no waiting no hassle.
    I have one for TMO that I need to unlock and they told me that I would have to get in touch with the person I bought it from and have them call to get the unlock code.
    11-22-08 03:21 PM
    i agree, i called and got my code in 24 hours
    11-22-08 03:53 PM
    I bought an 8220 at a pretty good price and wanted to get it unlocked, so I called T-Mobile and put in a request. The person on the phone took down my info and the IMEI but said that, because I didn't buy it through T-Mobile, that I'd have to fax in proof that I purchased it at full price (which I didn't). So I was wondering if I'd just hand over some cash and make this phone less of a good buy, but I got an email from T-Mobile with the unlock code and all is well now.

So all I can suggest is calling and seeing what happens from there.
    11-23-08 08:16 AM
    For $16-20 it might be better for you to purchase the unlock through an Internet unlock service company and save you all the aggravation of waiting for your service provider customer service.
    11-23-08 11:53 AM
    I too want to get my phone unlocked by tmo! How do i do this? When you make a request, what do you say?

Also, are they able to unlock all phones on my account? I have 2 lines.

Does it cost anything to do this?
    11-25-08 05:07 PM
    I too want to get my phone unlocked by tmo! How do i do this? When you make a request, what do you say?

Also, are they able to unlock all phones on my account? I have 2 lines.

Does it cost anything to do this?
    I have unlocked about four phones over the years with T-Mobile......it's a standard procedure and they won't get weird with you or anything. I have done it by both email and over the phone with Customer Care......the last time I did it via email I never got a response and ended up just calling customer care from the cell phone (611 - send). The requirements are that you have had your account open and in good standing for a minimum of 90 days - - I simply tell them that I have an upcoming overseas trip and I want the capability to insert a foreign pre-paid SIM card to use while I am over seas and I will be putting the T-Mobile card back in when I return. As long as you have had good standing on your post-pay account for the 90 days or more you should be good to go......the will email the response back with a step-by-step instructions on how to enter the unlock code - - it is fairly straight forward on the BlackBerry and you don't have to already have the foreign sim card in the phone like other brands.....you can just enter the information with your T-Mobile card in the phone. Go to Options> Status and write down your 15 digit IMEI code - they will want that information as every different IMEI code has a different unlock. So 90 days of service, email address, IMEI code, model of phone (which is also identified by IMEI, but they may ask to confirm) and that's it.......I always unlock my phones for foreign travel and it also makes it easier to sell if it's unlocked.
    11-25-08 05:56 PM
    Thank you for your answer!

11-26-08 10:15 AM
    I called them on Saturday, 3:30 PM. They said they would send a conformation e-mail within 24 hours and I haven't gotten one, and I haven't gotten the code yet, which they said could take up to seven days, any ideas of what could be wrong? Did they send you a conformation? How long did it take for you to get your code?
    02-22-10 08:05 PM
    Oh, I'm unlocking my friends phone because we are trading an iPhone for a mytouch and I have AT&T, but they said his account has been in good standing and there shouldn't be a problem, I used the traveling out of the US lie.
    02-22-10 08:08 PM
    What e-mail did you contact them on ?
    02-22-10 08:49 PM
    That was alot easier than I thought. I just called a CSR and she just gave me a code over the phone and even offered to help me. Got my Curve unlocked within 25minutes.
    02-22-10 09:50 PM
    For $16-20 it might be better for you to purchase the unlock through an Internet unlock service company and save you all the aggravation of waiting for your service provider customer service.
    Or try Ebay because their only about $3.
    02-23-10 05:15 PM
    Greetings,

I sent a request to T-Mobile (via e-mail) some 3 weeks ago, concerning getting an unlock code for the phone I purchased from them with a plan (through a distributor), and I havent' heard back. Is this normal with TMO? What can I do to get the code?

I called customer assistance requesting my unlock and I had it in 2 days. No problem at all. Just call them and ask while on phone.

02-25-10 10:51 AM
    I say call them again, can't hurt.
    02-25-10 05:10 PM
    I went with Unlock Blackberry & Any Cell Phones Remotely by Code | CellUnlock.net Worth the $10.00 instead of having to deal with T-Mobile!

Use coupon code "crackb50"
    02-26-10 10:55 AM
    Not to be wierd, and please dont flame me. What advantage would I have other then resale value for unlocking the phone from Tmo?
    02-26-10 11:28 AM
    Not to be wierd, and please dont flame me. What advantage would I have other then resale value for unlocking the phone from Tmo?

If you travel abroad, an unlocked phone will allow you to use a local company's sim card (which is cheaper), as compared to being charged roaming on TMO if the phone is not unlocked.
    02-27-10 07:09 AM
    Every now and then the emails don't go out as they should. If it's been several days, just give them a call. The unlock instructions will be noted in your account if the request was completed.
    02-27-10 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD