12-08-09 01:03 AM
68 123
tools
    Sprint definitely changed something. My 8330 worked perfect in "modem mode" on two different computers. I have a Macbook, and a Macbook Pro and I use the unlimited everything plan. Now when I try to connect via Bluetooth Dun as I always have the modem mode comes up on my phone and then turns off. My computer then says the device is unavailable. It happens with both computers, so it is obviously the phone. Sprint has caught on and changed something. I downloaded Tetherberry and it works fine. Now I just have to have my phone plugged in to usb instead bluetooth which sucks. The program comes with a 7 day trial and then costs $50. But I guess that's a lot better than $50 a month for a modem plan. I just used the code tberry50 at crackberryappstore.com and got it for $25. Thanks skd1970!!!
    Last edited by Murrayv98; 09-30-09 at 01:19 PM.
    09-30-09 12:27 PM
    Just got off the phone with my rep and determined the following...

1. PAM is now a separate line item on my bill above and beyond my unlimited data plan. It is no longer "included" or free
    2. Sprint has been slowly sweeping through all it's accounts and finally got to me

See: community.sprint.com/baw/message/117826 (Blackberry Curve phone as modem...) for more info

PAM is not officially supported in any of the current plans. They've started devoting more of this to aircards for data. To be honest, the package that you would've have needed when PAM was in it's hey-day is $45 for just the data. For example, you could have $29.99 basic 200 + $30 Vision Pro Pack + $15 PAM addon. At that point, the aircard @ $59.99 would be a more feasible solution for most customers.

I think what confounds customers more than anything is that the service can sometimes work for an extended period of time and suddenly stop. This can and does happen from time to time. Usually it stops PAM service once the system runs a clean-up script and closes the hole. The most common error resulting from this when trying to connect would be an error 67.
    09-30-09 01:16 PM
    Sprint definitely changed something. My 8330 worked perfect in "modem mode" on two different computers. I have a Macbook, and a Macbook Pro and I use the unlimited everything plan. Now when I try to connect via Bluetooth Dun as I always have the modem mode comes up on my phone and then turns off. My computer then says the device is unavailable. It happens with both computers, so it is obviously the phone. Sprint has caught on and changed something. I downloaded Tetherberry and it works fine. Now I just have to have my phone plugged in to usb instead bluetooth which sucks. The program comes with a 7 day trial and then costs $50. But I guess that's a lot better than $50 a month for a modem plan.
    read the post above yours you can get it half off.
    09-30-09 01:19 PM
    How much is the PAM option w/Sprint?
    09-30-09 01:32 PM
    you have to go to a regualr phone only plan, then add texts, data, pam, and then pay a LOT for your service.
    09-30-09 01:34 PM
    I signed up for TetherBerry, and it worked fine. But then when I tried to fire up Cisco VPN, it was a no go. I then noticed that there's an unanswered query on their user forum about this very issue. So it looks like close, but no cigar, for me.
    10-01-09 06:51 AM
    you have to go to a regualr phone only plan, then add texts, data, pam, and then pay a LOT for your service.
    It's not always as much as you would think. Most addons can be added for free.
    10-01-09 01:29 PM
    Just went through this with Sprint. They've removed PAM from all but the most high end plans. It would cost me $45 a month to get it back, which is too much for the once or twice a month I use it. I have no issue with them charging for it, but I do have an issue with them "quietly" removing what has been in place for a long time, even if it was inadvertently available. It has really angered a lot of people. I wonder what would have happened if they had just said, "we have to change our policy and begin charging for this service." I bet most people would have accepted that. It's the sneakiness that is causing the bad feelings.
    11-19-09 09:46 AM
    there is nothing "sneaky" about a company not providing a service that they explicitly state in their TOS for the plans is NOT included.

I have zero sympathy for all those thieves that have used PAM as their main internet connection or who are on "hour or two a day".. (and yes, thieves is the correct word as "theft of bandwidth" is a federal crime).. these are the people to blame for PAM being summarily removed, NOT Sprint themselves..

I pay the $59.99 for an aircard because i do not wish to steal, however there is a good space for Sprint to offer a $15 PAM add-on for more casual use.. say <250Mb/mo (which is more than adequate for the essentials in life.. such as email & bills)

Just went through this with Sprint. They've removed PAM from all but the most high end plans. It would cost me $45 a month to get it back, which is too much for the once or twice a month I use it. I have no issue with them charging for it, but I do have an issue with them "quietly" removing what has been in place for a long time, even if it was inadvertently available. It has really angered a lot of people. I wonder what would have happened if they had just said, "we have to change our policy and begin charging for this service." I bet most people would have accepted that. It's the sneakiness that is causing the bad feelings.
    11-19-09 12:21 PM
    i guess thousands of thieves are STILL angry and STILL wish sprint would of been more informative about phasing out PAM.....

i totally agree with queenducky on this matter.. i never even knew sprint offered PAM add-ons until i got the tour and tethering was actually cut off on the blackberries.. im pretty sure a fix will be found or sprint will open up to some suggestions for the sake of their customers...
    11-19-09 04:06 PM
    My problem was that I use the PAM feature when I am in the field and need access to the internet on my laptop (a requirement of the job I do and many of these areas don't have free internet access). I thought it was extremely unprofessional for them to simply discontinue the service without any notification whatsoever (although they can do whatever they choose obviously). However, I don't think this was a well thought out plan on Sprint's part.

I had to change from the Everything Plan to a separate voice and data plan and add the PAM feature. All total, I am paying less than I did with the Everything Plan! I would have been happy to pay the incremental cost for PAM on the Everything Plan but it wasn't offered of course.

Simply cutting everyone off wasn't good customer service.
    11-24-09 09:08 AM
    FWIW... they're only doing it to Blackberry customers (assuming because it's only who they can figure out who is doing it)

I had a HTC Touch Pro up until 3 days ago, and tethering worked perfect, and consistently. It broke, I got a Tour.. and I'm not able to do it.
    11-29-09 08:59 PM
    there is nothing "sneaky" about a company not providing a service that they explicitly state in their TOS for the plans is NOT included.

I have zero sympathy for all those thieves that have used PAM as their main internet connection or who are on "hour or two a day".. (and yes, thieves is the correct word as "theft of bandwidth" is a federal crime).. these are the people to blame for PAM being summarily removed, NOT Sprint themselves..

I pay the $59.99 for an aircard because i do not wish to steal, however there is a good space for Sprint to offer a $15 PAM add-on for more casual use.. say <250Mb/mo (which is more than adequate for the essentials in life.. such as email & bills)

It is sneaky when they talked me into upgrading my aircard to a new BB, telling me that I can use the PAM with my Simply Everything Plan. Then a year later tell me that I have to get an aircard if I want to continue using a sprint device to connect my laptop to the internet.
    12-02-09 07:27 PM
    I am a US Cellular customer. I am running 2 OS with a Sony Vaio SZ 750. Last night using Vista, I ran a program called Ultimate Troubleshooter by Answers that work. I shows all your services running and recommend services to shut down to improve performance.
    After I ran UT I re-booted and the IP modem icon in DM was gone. I re-booted in Windows 7 where I am right now and the IP modem was there. In Vista I turned all the services back on with no luck. Any suggestions. I did a system restore and it showed up for a few minutes and then gone.
    12-02-09 08:18 PM
    This happened to me back in August. I tried to figure it out by reinstalling and uninstalling and reinstalling but Sprint must have really did their homework. I used to be able to use my 8330 for access to the internet. I guess its tetherberry for me...
    12-03-09 08:56 AM
    My problem was that I use the PAM feature when I am in the field and need access to the internet on my laptop (a requirement of the job I do and many of these areas don't have free internet access). I thought it was extremely unprofessional for them to simply discontinue the service without any notification whatsoever (although they can do whatever they choose obviously). However, I don't think this was a well thought out plan on Sprint's part.

I had to change from the Everything Plan to a separate voice and data plan and add the PAM feature. All total, I am paying less than I did with the Everything Plan! I would have been happy to pay the incremental cost for PAM on the Everything Plan but it wasn't offered of course.

Simply cutting everyone off wasn't good customer service.
    I have to agree. Might I ask what you went to? I was lead to believe that with the simply everything plan it was permissible to tether but obviously that's not the case. I'm gonna have to change my plan I guess too. I was only using it once or twice a week for probably under 15 minutes each day to check weather (I have problems seeing the screen on my tour at my age) but it's something I have to have.

Thanks
    12-04-09 11:24 PM
    It is sneaky when they talked me into upgrading my aircard to a new BB, telling me that I can use the PAM with my Simply Everything Plan. Then a year later tell me that I have to get an aircard if I want to continue using a sprint device to connect my laptop to the internet.

Exactly!!!
    12-04-09 11:33 PM
    Exactly!!!

Sucks that you guys were vastly misinformed as tethering has never been included in the SE plan. I do agree that it would **** me off to be given that information which was false but at the end of the day, tethering has never been included in any of the plans that have come out in the last 2 years, it just so happens that it was able to be "snuck" by Sprint and be utilitized then Sprint got smart, realized what was going on and put a halt to it. Yes that sucks too for those of you who came to rely on the service that you weren't paying for. But if it's that important of a piece to your daily routine then you'll pony up and pay for it or as many others have posted, you'll find another work around to keep getting the service that is still not included in your plan until Sprint figures out a way to block that one too.
    12-08-09 01:03 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD