I've never seen that feature in DM
    Which version you running?
    Unless your able to do it via bluetooth through DM, in which case my laptop doesn't support BT
    I'm running the latest DM, 5.0. I don't use bluetooth, but I'm pretty sure bluetooth is available if I plugged in my bluetooth dongle. After all, it's Windows that handles the connection.

Worked great for me.
    The point is that installation of Smartview is absolutely unnecessary. It takes up space on your computer, as well as memory since it's running in the background. It's like driving a car, but putting 500 pounds of barbells in the trunk. Sure, it fits, but it may slow you down.

Teatherberry was not necessary until recently, also TB installs a JAD file onto the BB, the other two methods don't do that.
    And it is still not necessary. Of course Tetherberry installs a JAD onto the blackberry. If it didn't, it wouldn't exist on the blackberry. Taking application memory space, as well as costing alot of money and being unnecessary, makes this route somewhat of a last resort.
    09-19-09 09:21 AM
    I think I didn't state it right before.
    My laptop hase 4gigs of ram, and a 500gig drive, smartview wasn't using any resources that had a negative impact at all.

I never tried DM, in fact I rarely use DM at all, maybe once a month to back up contacts.

As of recently, no other method but teatherberry works to get me online, but my week trial ran out, and I don't plan on purchasing it.

So unless I pick up a tethering plan from sprint (if they indeed stop us from doing it) I'm SOL, and can do without tethering.

Cheers
    09-20-09 02:20 AM
    I think I didn't state it right before.
    My laptop hase 4gigs of ram, and a 500gig drive, smartview wasn't using any resources that had a negative impact at all.

I never tried DM, in fact I rarely use DM at all, maybe once a month to back up contacts.

As of recently, no other method but teatherberry works to get me online, but my week trial ran out, and I don't plan on purchasing it.

So unless I pick up a tethering plan from sprint (if they indeed stop us from doing it) I'm SOL, and can do without tethering.

Cheers
    Windows doesn't manage memory well when it has more than 2GB of memory. Even if Smartview's footprint is small, if it's running, it's taking away CPU cycles. I have a Computer Science degree, so I know the internal workings of computer programs. In one class, we even have to use math to modify algorithms so that they use the CPU more efficiently.

I'm basically saying why use a 3rd party software when your operating system and DM can do it? (Most of us have DM installed anyway for syncing and backups.) It's like driving a car with a navigation system, and then whipping out your blackberry to use its navigation system instead.

Anyway, I'm mosting this while being tethered through my OS/DM. I have never downloaded Smartview, and I haven't tried tetherberry (I like my application memory, plus I know computers can use phones as modems without installing programs onto those phones).
    09-20-09 12:54 PM
    Yeah? A science degree? Cool. I've got 20 years behind pcs, and with a dual core, 4gigs, and 500gig hard drive, smartview had no negative impact on my laptop.

Now if I was doing more than email, light surfing in a browser, like say using a cad program, folding@home, Seti, photoshop, video rendering etc, all at the same time, then smartview might impact my performance.

Windows explorer took up more resources than smart view.
    09-20-09 01:38 PM
    Hey guys can we plz stop havin a pissin contest? And socal, can u give us intructions on how to get DM to thether out BBs? Cuz I didn't even know I could do that. And I've been usin smartview for about 10 months now. But it stopped workin, I did upgrade my OS to the newest one for the curve 8330/4.5.0.169. Maybe that had an issue with it?

Ps: if you'd like u can PM me wit the instructions if no one else wanst them. I do cuz my curve is my only means of internet :/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-09 11:52 PM
    My phone stoped working with Smartview also. I would like to get instructions on how to get my BB to tether with DM too. Plz post.
    09-21-09 04:13 AM
    I love when people live through their computer. Lol

09-21-09 06:11 AM
    My wife's phone will not connect to the internet and gets the error 678. We have both been using sprint smart view to connect to the internet for the last several months to connect to the internet. My phone still connects just fine. This should rule out any software problems associated with the computer.

I just got off the phone with Sprint and was told that the everything data plan does not include the use of your phone as a modem. The guy told me that I am basically connecting to the internet illegally since I am not paying for the service of using my phone as a modem. I am posting this message teatherd to my blackberry but it looks like Sprint is starting to eliminate this option.
    09-21-09 06:31 AM
    I just got off the phone with Sprint and was told that the everything data plan does not include the use of your phone as a modem. The guy told me that I am basically connecting to the internet illegally since I am not paying for the service of using my phone as a modem. I am posting this message teatherd to my blackberry but it looks like Sprint is starting to eliminate this option.
    Well, they should have made that clear to me when I renewed my contract with them just a few months ago! I've been using my blackberry as a modem for 2 yrs now with no problems and they always assured that the data plan package I pay for every month includes usage of phone as a modem.

Now I'm stuck with Sprint til 2011 and have no internet at home? Urgh.
    09-21-09 05:36 PM
    sprint has no way of knowing, as far as i know, if you are using your BB as a modem, as long as you have unlimited data plan. sure if youre on 20 hrs a day then yes, but other than that, it juz shows you use ur bb a lot on the browser as well as on other apps.

if you call sprint, yes they will tell you youre doin something illegal and will tell you to purchase the 50 dollars phone as modem option. i went through that crap 10 months ago and it pissed me off till someone here told me i could use smartview and ive been doin that ever since.

now im gettin that damn error.

how can i use my curve for internet with juz the DM runnin? and does it have to be 5.0? and how do i make a profile with network connections under control menu in windows?

cuz i cant connect at home, im on campus at 7pm doin online homework where i could be at home eatin and drinkin a beer while doin hw. damn error 678! lol
    09-22-09 06:08 PM
    Now I'm getting an 692 error the modem is defective...
    09-22-09 06:19 PM
    I haven't tried recently, but just to let you guys know (it might help in dealing with Sprint) the phone manual mentions tethering, and mentions NOTHING about needing ANYTHING but unlimited data (not unlimited PAM, just unlimited data) and SmartView. I wonder if a nice chat with Retentions about not getting a phone feature you paid for would take care of this?
    09-22-09 06:54 PM
    so i had it working via BT one night while drinkin and forgot what i did and cant do it again. i havent been able to get any of the other ways to work simply cuz i dont know what to do (the one set of instructions i did see were for windows XP). however i plug my tour into my cradlepoint router and it works perfectly. in fact im connected that way now and its faster then my sierra 597
    09-23-09 07:34 PM
    i was able to get it to work on my tour with pdanet using bluetooth

09-24-09 02:53 AM
    Has anyone found a solution?

09-27-09 10:47 AM
    sprint has no way of knowing, as far as i know, if you are using your BB as a modem, as long as you have unlimited data plan. sure if youre on 20 hrs a day then yes, but other than that, it juz shows you use ur bb a lot on the browser as well as on other apps.

if you call sprint, yes they will tell you youre doin something illegal and will tell you to purchase the 50 dollars phone as modem option. i went through that crap 10 months ago and it pissed me off till someone here told me i could use smartview and ive been doin that ever since.

now im gettin that damn error.

how can i use my curve for internet with juz the DM runnin? and does it have to be 5.0? and how do i make a profile with network connections under control menu in windows?

cuz i cant connect at home, im on campus at 7pm doin online homework where i could be at home eatin and drinkin a beer while doin hw. damn error 678! lol
    From what I've read, Sprint DOES know now who's been tethering and has the ability to cut you off...which they did to mine. I'm unable to use SprintView nor can I set up a DUN. I understand that Tetherberry is still working.
    09-27-09 03:45 PM
    Man you guys scared me. I just tried it and I am posting this with it tethered, working as it always has. Whew. Sorry you all are having troubles.
    Okay, I have to stand corrected now. My plan just switched from the BB $30 data add on plan to the Everything Data 450 with any mobile and now tethering does not work. I am now getting the same error everyone else is. So obviously the network can detect when they will allow tethering. I will keep watching this to see if there is a work around.
    09-28-09 12:15 AM
    i just checked and mine is still working using bluetooth. I have tethering plan. Do you guys have a tethering plan?
    09-28-09 12:43 AM
    I think Sprint is slowly removing the modem ability from accounts that don't specifically have it included in their plan. The Simply Everything Plans do not include Phone as Modem (PAM). I believe it still says on the website that you can add it to your plan for $15/mo. Some of the data plans did include phone as modem and if you are still on one of the older plans (NOT Simply Everything) and your particular data plan included PAM, then you're still good to go. I have PAM in my plan and it works fine both on a MacBook Pro just using a dial up connection or on Windows with Smartview. My plan does NOT have free GPS though. I have a retention plan and the rep told me that basically I could change it to have GPS included, but I would LOSE the Phone as Modem. She also told me that if I changed my plan and lost Phone as Modem, it was unlikely that I'd be able to get it back (without paying additional). That comment suggests to me that Sprint would like to see PAM go away. I can get Mapquest for $49 a year, so I'm sticking with my old data plan and keeping the PAM.
    09-28-09 01:27 AM
    I think Sprint is slowly removing the modem ability from accounts that don't specifically have it included in their plan. The Simply Everything Plans do not include Phone as Modem (PAM). I believe it still says on the website that you can add it to your plan for $15/mo. Some of the data plans did include phone as modem and if you are still on one of the older plans (NOT Simply Everything) and your particular data plan included PAM, then you're still good to go. I have PAM in my plan and it works fine both on a MacBook Pro just using a dial up connection or on Windows with Smartview. My plan does NOT have free GPS though. I have a retention plan and the rep told me that basically I could change it to have GPS included, but I would LOSE the Phone as Modem. She also told me that if I changed my plan and lost Phone as Modem, it was unlikely that I'd be able to get it back (without paying additional). That comment suggests to me that Sprint would like to see PAM go away. I can get Mapquest for $49 a year, so I'm sticking with my old data plan and keeping the PAM.
    how can you really find out whether the data plan include PAM or not? sprint.com?
    09-28-09 01:34 AM
    As of this morning, no luck on getting my connection back up. I tried installing dial up connection as some suggested on another thread, that did not work. Smartview is still giving me error 678.

I haven't called sprint because I just feel like they won't even know how to help. Maybe I will do that later this morning....urghhh

This is just frustrating as I use my blackberry modem as my main internet for everything!

Those of you having issues, update us!
    And you are the type of customer that is ruining casual tethering for the rest of us.
    09-28-09 08:16 AM
    My husband and I both have 8330's and tether using DM and DUN on the same "everything data plan". My phone is the first phone on the account. We use our PAM an hour or two every day to every other day. I just got a refurbished phone last Tuesday and it worked initially, then started getting the 678 error the next day. My husband's phone still works (I'm tethered now). I'm not a computer or phone expert by any means, but I believe this happened because I re-provisioned my new phone (I was having issues with the restore), which leads me to believe Sprint has added some new software to block the PAM??

So, if that's true, how can I keep my husband's phone from receiving any updates and... can someone who really IS a "crackberry" figure out how to modify this software if that's what the problem is??
    Last edited by ttowne; 09-28-09 at 08:37 PM.
    09-28-09 08:13 PM
    i too have joined the lost my tether group it worked fine yesterday today 678 any work arounds or anyone still have tether features
    09-30-09 07:12 AM
    What about using #777.. havent tried it in a while but tha tis how i use to do it..
    09-30-09 09:42 AM
    What about using #777.. havent tried it in a while but tha tis how i use to do it..
    Smartview and DUN (#777) does not work anymore. There is no work around once they have blocked you. Your only solution is to use a third party app.

Use coupon code tberry50 at CrackBerryAppStore.com

Tetherberry 50% off Expires Friday Oct 2nd.
    Last edited by skd1970; 09-30-09 at 11:36 AM.
    09-30-09 10:25 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD