Recently I got the ole DM up to get on on internet via BB 8330 as dial-up. First I noticed server status was not on line. So configured outlook. Now online and when I plugg phone in ERROR 678 comes up. I also noticed phone no longer shows modem mode when plugged up. Please help anyone who can. I have been using phone as modem for about 2yrs now. I really don't have clue.
    09-09-09 05:53 PM
    Same issue here. Just stopped working for me too
    09-10-09 02:05 AM
    I had the same problem, not exactly shure when it started, but my tomtom stopped using modem mode, I got curious, so I hooked it up to the laptop, same problem, no modem mode, and the 1XEV by the signal bars changes from capital to lowercase when I try and connnect to the internet with an external device.
    09-10-09 09:48 AM
    Using a PC & SmartView I have no problems with my 8330 connecting to the internet and the device entering modem mode.
    09-10-09 11:47 AM
    I have also gotten the Error code 678 when trying to connect with my Blackberry 8330, I have been using it for about a year and have no idea why its giving me that error just out of the blue like that. Anyone know whats causing it? For it to go from perfect one day and then not working the next is not normal.
    09-10-09 01:23 PM
    Using a PC & SmartView I have no problems with my 8330 connecting to the internet and the device entering modem mode.
    Ditto for me. SprintView is free off Sprint's website...works terrific!
    09-10-09 01:23 PM
    When hitting connect in Sprint SmartView it give the Error 678. I even used a different laptop and it gave me the same error at the same time when trying to connect with SmartView
    09-10-09 01:32 PM
    Try just creating a normal DUN connecting from Windows and skipping SprintView. That's how I connect.
    09-10-09 04:19 PM
    just used smartview last night won't work for me today!!

did a hard boot and no go.........:-(

No i'm stuck on a very very low connection on wifi
    09-10-09 05:37 PM
    Got sprint smartview to work :-0

went to msconfig clcked on services and checked all the remotes and rebooted and whalaa worked!

Hopefully this will help some blackberry useres out there.....
    09-10-09 06:36 PM
    Like other mine was working fine for a long time them stopped. I called Sprint to ask about error #678 and they told that they had discovered a "glitch" recently and if my phone had recently been re-provisioned I would no longer have phone as modem capability - which sux. I was told I would have to get a seperate plan for that phone that has phone as modem (have a shared plan now) and that it would cost about $100/mo!! Or I could add a broadband gizmo to my account which appear to be free but $50/mo for service. Not happy.
    09-16-09 03:42 PM
    teatherberry works ive come to find out
    09-16-09 04:01 PM
    if it works one day and not the next ive found if you pull the battery for 30 seconds and make sure desk top manager is running it will fire right up i had to do it this morning
    09-16-09 08:36 PM
    if it works one day and not the next ive found if you pull the battery for 30 seconds and make sure desk top manager is running it will fire right up i had to do it this morning
    What's DM got to with tethering? Did you mean smartview?
    I've done tons of battery pulls and now the only way I can teather is with teatherberry.

Cheers
    09-16-09 11:10 PM
    Sprint has quietly been removing the access for tethering from accounts. I can't blame them really for finding ways to lighten the load of the towers(without enough customers leaving). I have seen enough instances where people have really been abusing this feature and killing the bandwidth of legitimate users. I do think they need to setup the Everything data and SEP accounts to allow tethering add on. I would add that feature in the spring when out storm chasing, instead of completely reworking my account to allow it. I would not have use of a data card during this time as I don't need it all year, just a few months a year.

Now the only carrier to allow tethering free now is Tmo. I don't see data users on that network with GPRS only on 60-70% of their native network.
    Last edited by Nucleartx; 09-17-09 at 02:36 AM.
    09-17-09 02:33 AM
    Same here...have uninstalled Smartview, reboooted, then uninstalled DM and rebooted, reinstalled both, started DM and opened Smartview, did a battery pull....nothing!
    Will try ilperez suggestion, and see if that works.
    09-17-09 05:07 PM
    Same here...have uninstalled Smartview, reboooted, then uninstalled DM and rebooted, reinstalled both, started DM and opened Smartview, did a battery pull....nothing!
    Will try ilperez suggestion, and see if that works.
    09-17-09 05:07 PM
    Looks Like I got hit with this this morning, same error. I have been troubleshooting all day. I have called sprint, got the same...its not on your plan jargin. Here is the scoop, I believe this has to be a software issue in the OS. Why? Because my wife has a pearl, when she came home I plugged hers in and the Smartview connected it, just like it should. Tried reconnecting mine, and error. The modem mode text goes on shortly then disappears.

So her pearl still connects so its not my computer, but over night my Curve wont connect, and gets error 678. Everything on the curve works fine, internet, email, etc. So if CDMA causes sprint to only see data and not be able to tell you are on the web, if they shut it down, wouldnt it shut down your web on the phone as well?

Any help is appreciated, my wife having internet but me not, is not kosher in this house....

Also tried hooking it up via bluetooth, wifes pearl works fine, but not my curve......frustrating.
    Last edited by jerome casi; 09-17-09 at 08:50 PM.
    09-17-09 06:14 PM
    Anyone resolve this yet? If so, what did you do?

I have been using sprint as a modem for my laptop internet connection for 2 yrs. This afternoon I connected on sprint smartview as I have most evenings. Only this time I get the error 678! I uninstalled smartview, reinstalled it, I soft booted and hard booted my blackberry, no luck!

I pay for sprints unlimited data package. What else is the issue? And why is this suddenly happening!
    09-18-09 07:00 PM
    right now im posting tethered to my 8830 using the Sprint mobile broadband app
    09-18-09 07:11 PM
    What's DM got to with tethering? Did you mean smartview?
    I've done tons of battery pulls and now the only way I can teather is with teatherberry.
    DM enables the computer to see the phone as a modem. Without DM running, I can't tether.

Smartview --> Not necessary for tethering (basically you're running a program in the background needlessly)

Tetherberry --> Not necessary for tethering. It basically does what Windows and DM do together.
    09-18-09 07:37 PM
    I thought I was the only one. I've tried everything... no dice yet... Has anyone else had any luck at all?
    09-18-09 08:53 PM
    Man you guys scared me. I just tried it and I am posting this with it tethered, working as it always has. Whew. Sorry you all are having troubles.
    09-18-09 11:04 PM
    DM enables the computer to see the phone as a modem. Without DM running, I can't tether.
    I've never seen that feature in DM
    Which version you running?
    Unless your able to do it via bluetooth through DM, in which case my laptop doesn't support BT

Smartview --> Not necessary for tethering (basically you're running a program in the background needlessly)
    Worked great for me.

Tetherberry --> Not necessary for tethering. It basically does what Windows and DM do together.
    Teatherberry was not necessary until recently, also TB installs a JAD file onto the BB, the other two methods don't do that.

Cheers
    09-19-09 05:47 AM
    As of this morning, no luck on getting my connection back up. I tried installing dial up connection as some suggested on another thread, that did not work. Smartview is still giving me error 678.

I haven't called sprint because I just feel like they won't even know how to help. Maybe I will do that later this morning....urghhh

This is just frustrating as I use my blackberry modem as my main internet for everything!

Those of you having issues, update us!
    09-19-09 08:45 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD