Hey,

I called AT&T the other day because I'm getting a Blackberry for the first time and two different AT&T representatives told me that there is no required Blackberry plan if I use a Blackberry. Is this true? Maybe I misunderstood them or they misunderstood me. I was thinking about just using the data plan I have now rather than getting a Blackberry data plan because I believe the data plan I have now is sufficient.

Thanks!
    05-16-09 10:07 PM
    Watch it there may be hidden fees.
    05-16-09 10:35 PM
    You could probably just use the media net. But there would be no emails, no applications that you could really download and also there would not be the service books there so the data may or may not work. I would just go ahead and get the $30 data plan. It is worth it.
    05-16-09 10:39 PM
    8230, 8900, And the 9000 don't need data plans as they have wifi capabilities. But this is asked everyday on this forum. BlackBerry's have their own type of data plan, just like an iPhone, so your current plan that is on a regular phone isn't the same.

Having a data plan is good for many things when having a BlackBerry. Only disadvantage is that for the Berry's that have wifi, they are limited in what applications can be used, as you need a data plan to run every other application, or messenger or push email.

Its only $30 for unlimited data, email and BBM. If you have no data plan, you can get charged per "kb", for instance, sending an image using MMS. Or having an application that requires daily syncing like Google Sync.

But it all depends on what you need the BB for. Its pretty useless as a phone if you have no data plan, in my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 12:16 AM
    If you already have MediaNet on your old phone you can insert your actual card into a BB and you will have MediaNet on your BB.

You can use operamini like web browser, Gmail app or yahoo app for email, google maps app, and almost every app will work with MediaNet on your BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD