Okay, so I feel like venting...
    I'm an avid Tmo customer and have been for a little over 10 years. I've had a variety of phones ranging from Samsung to Motorola to Nokia to Blackberry. I've had a Blackberry since Tmo came out with the 8100. Since then, I've had the 8320, the 8900, and now the 9700.

My biggest complaint with Tmo is the fact that they nearly never have decent BBs. The 9700 is an awesome device but Tmo has either passed up or been left out of the loop when it comes to "good" devices. The Tour, the Storms, and the Bold 9650 are all good devices. Other than the 9700, what does Tmo have to show since the Curve 8320. Hmm, they've had the BB Flip and the 8520. The BB Flip was a "WTF" type of device that I feel was a failed attempt by RIM(the new clamshell BB looks promising). The Curve 8520 seemed like RIM's "back to the past" edition. It just seemed like a remedial BB to me.

Now, there comes the future of BB. Tmo has passed on the 3G Pearl, the clam-shell model, and quite possible the 9800. Haven't heard about the 8910 yet. It just seems that Tmo is not attempting to cater to the BB Lovers. What is it gonna take for Tmo execs to try and retain it's BB customers?!?! Maybe it's something that will occur with the possible merger with Sprint(fingers crossed).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 09:14 AM
    I'm not sure it has to do with TMO, but with RIM. Device manufacturers may have exclusivity agreements with certain carriers to allow them to sell only certain devices. Furthermore, there are competing devices that the carrier may think are more attractive to sell. TMO has centered around 3 classes of BB's, small format (Original Pearl), mid range 2G (8520) and high end 3G(9700).
    06-30-10 09:37 AM
    Point w�ll taken. It just seems that Tmo n�e�s to lobby more in an attempt to placed n a position that they r that they can be considered for awesome BBs. I know Tmo is focusing a lot on androids but BBs are not near death in any way.

06-30-10 09:44 AM
    Its kind of strange that both T-Mo and AT&T haven't released the Pearl 3G yet.
    For AT&T though, they are really pushing the iPhone, so I can see why they
    would not get it...

Don't count T-Mo on *never* getting any newer BBs though... but we have to wait.
    06-30-10 05:18 PM
    I know. I truly felt that Tmo was gonna jump on the Pearl 3G! I'm just hoping that Tmo stays in the BB race cause I don't want to c them be an "all android" carrier/caterer.

06-30-10 06:00 PM
    Tour, Storm, and 9650 are all CDMA phones. T-Mobile is a GSM company.
    06-30-10 07:05 PM
    I understand the difference between CDMA and GSM carriers but it wouldn't take much for RIM to "choose" Tmo to be a candidate for certain phones. I'm sure the ultimate decision comes from regarding what carriers are privy to what devices.

06-30-10 07:36 PM
    T-Mobile has passed on a few candidates, some because of compatibility issues. RIM has had difficulty making UMA and 3G play nicely that's one of the reasons that the 9000 was not picked up right away along with the fact that T-Mobile took too long rolling out 3G. Also, RIM has not been rolling out high end phones that T-Mobile could pick up the option on. Third, T-Mobile has a huge stake in Android and has seen better sales with that platform.
    06-30-10 07:48 PM
    Wonderful observation K Bear. Thanks for the info. Guess I can't brow beat Tmo too much now, lol

06-30-10 07:52 PM
    Wonderful observation K Bear. Thanks for the info. Guess I can't brow beat Tmo too much now, lol

As far as the Strom goes, T-Mobile UK has it (8520), but T-Mobile USA does not because of Verizion's exclusivity deal, the same will apply to the 9800 and AT&T. The 9650 is the CDMA equivalent to the 9700.
    06-30-10 07:56 PM
    Yeah, I know about the Storm in UK. If AT&T gets sole exclusivity, I am gonna have a number of conniptions. I gotta have the 9800!!!!!!!!

06-30-10 07:59 PM
    Word is the 9800 will have at least 3 months exclusivity on the Death Star.
    06-30-10 08:08 PM
    Well, if Tmo is gonna get after the exclusivity period then I can live with that.

06-30-10 08:33 PM
    Yeah I wish T-mo did step up there push for the BBerrys......like the 9800
    07-06-10 01:20 AM
    T-Mobile was the first to carry the Pearl am I right? The 9000 was just for AT&T but T-Mobile managed to get the 9700 for themselves too.. I think your complaint is more at home with RIM themselves. Either way, exclusivity with Ma Bell can't last too long as they don't really care about anything that doesn't start with a lower case i. Anyone that signed up with AT&T for the 9000 has probably already upgraded to the 9700 or will be soon.
    07-06-10 05:38 AM
    Yeah I wish T-mo did step up there push for the BBerrys......like the 9800
    Why push for devices that aren't out there? RIM is not spitting out enough devices to be throwing that kind of statement around.
    07-06-10 06:02 PM
    You seem to be forgetting the 8900. T-Mo had it first.

A device that, a year-and-a-half later, still has better specs than every other phone in the Curve line.

Heck, even the vaunted 9700 is just a 3G 8900 with a trackpad...

So don't say T-Mo never gets the goodies.

Last edited by Xader; 07-20-10 at 11:30 PM.
    07-13-10 12:07 AM
    Point w�ll taken. It just seems that Tmo n�e�s to lobby more in an attempt to placed n a position that they r that they can be considered for awesome BBs. I know Tmo is focusing a lot on androids but BBs are not near death in any way.

I wouldn't count on t-mo for much - t-mo still hasn't approved OS 5 and now that OS 6 is on its way....
    07-13-10 08:57 AM
    I wouldn't count on t-mo for much - t-mo still hasn't approved OS 5 and now that OS 6 is on its way....
    Os 5 on which device? It's already on the 9700.

07-13-10 11:48 AM
    My biggest complaint with Tmo is the fact that they nearly never have decent BBs. The 9700 is an awesome device but Tmo has either passed up or been left out of the loop when it comes to "good" devices. The Tour, the Storms, and the Bold 9650 are all good devices. Other than the 9700, what does Tmo have to show since the Curve 8320. Hmm, they've had the BB Flip and the 8520. The BB Flip was a "WTF" type of device that I feel was a failed attempt by RIM(the new clamshell BB looks promising). The Curve 8520 seemed like RIM's "back to the past" edition. It just seemed like a remedial BB to me.

Now, there comes the future of BB. Tmo has passed on the 3G Pearl, the clam-shell model, and quite possible the 9800. Haven't heard about the 8910 yet. It just seems that Tmo is not attempting to cater to the BB Lovers. What is it gonna take for Tmo execs to try and retain it's BB customers?!?! Maybe it's something that will occur with the possible merger with Sprint(fingers crossed).
    What does the Tour do that the 8900 doesn't? What does the 9650 do that the 9700 doesn't? As I've said many times, touchscreen is not a feature, but a different interface. Therefore, the Storm is a lateral model, not an upgrade. What exactly are you looking for?

People want 5.0, but what North American carrier offers it? AT&T doesn't have it on their 8520 or 8900, neither does Rogers. 9000 is the only official 5.0 device I can think of on the continent.

Finally, the Sprint merger is nothing more than a passing rumor. It's sprung up multiple times in the past few years. Don't buy in to it
    07-16-10 04:08 AM
    My biggest complaint with Tmo is the fact that they nearly never have decent BBs. The 9700 is an awesome device but Tmo has either passed up or been left out of the loop when it comes to "good" devices. The Tour,
    the Storms, and the Bold 9650 are all good devices.

The Tour, I agree. Storm is a POS. 9650 looks to be a good device, but again these are all CDMA.

Other than the 9700, what does Tmo have to show since the Curve 8320. Hmm, they've had the BB Flip and the 8520. The BB Flip was a "WTF" type of device that I feel was a failed attempt by RIM(the new clamshell BB looks promising). The Curve 8520 seemed like RIM's "back to the past" edition. It just seemed like a remedial BB to me.

Having owned both a flip and currently the 8520, I have to disagree. For people that just love flips, and need another option, The Flip does it's job. The 8520 (Which is EDGE, hence 2.5G, not 2G as referenced in another posting) would only be considered a "step back" if you have a 9700. (The 8520 and 9700 share many internal hardware specs) It does what it needs to do, and does it well.
    Now, there comes the future of BB. Tmo has passed on the 3G Pearl,

( i agree on this. Why they would pass I dont understand.)
    the clam-shell model,

(CDMA)

and quite possible the 9800.

The Big Blue Death Star has a 6 month exclusive on this bad boy.

Haven't heard about the 8910 yet.

(or the dakota/magnum)

It just seems that Tmo is not attempting to cater to the BB Lovers. What is it gonna take for Tmo execs to try and retain it's BB customers?!?! Maybe it's something that will occur with the possible merger with Sprint(fingers crossed).

(Not going to happen. Sprint CS sucks, and their network does too)

I do agree that TMO does seem to get left behind, however, I dont see myself leaving TMO unless they drop BB's completly. I do believe there will be Berry's coming out by year end that will blow our socks off.
    07-16-10 09:21 AM
    Sooo no OS6 this year?
    07-21-10 04:43 PM
    Thanks T-Mobile for my 3rd 8900 in 5 weeks.
    07-21-10 07:27 PM
    Thanks T-Mobile for my 3rd 8900 in 5 weeks.
    Please enlighten me as to how this was relevant to the topic at hand
    07-23-10 01:07 PM
    Tour, Storm, and 9650 are all CDMA phones. T-Mobile is a GSM company.
    beat me to the punch.
    07-23-10 01:59 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD