I have read a lot of posts that talk about unlocked phones. My question is what is the benefit of buying a phone from company A only to unlock it to use on Company B? Why not just by from company B to start with? In other words, what is the benefit of doing it. Thanks, i am just curious.
    01-07-10 01:20 PM
    sometimes the carrier doesnt offer the phone that you want other than that there really is no benefit
    01-07-10 01:25 PM
    There are many different models of BlackBerry. The carrier determines the choice of models they will support.

Often, a desirable new model will be supported by one carrier and some other model will be supported by your carrier.

Unlocking is the solution to that problem, you can choose which BlackBerry you prefer to use with your carrier.
    01-07-10 01:25 PM
    Or you might want to use your phone outside the US with a local SIM (although I've never stayed anywhere overseas long enough to make the purchase of a SIM worthwhile).
    01-07-10 01:38 PM
    I have used mine with a local sim many times. Cuts the cost of local calling. Also gives your phone a better resale value as it is not tied to a carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-10 06:59 PM
    If you do international travel, you can use a pre-paid SIM card from the carrier of the country you visit, thus saving costs, since you do not need to pay your carrier's international rates.
    01-07-10 09:02 PM
    Okay, thanks. Now I see the light.
    01-07-10 10:21 PM
    I have read a lot of posts that talk about unlocked phones. My question is what is the benefit of buying a phone from company A only to unlock it to use on Company B? Why not just by from company B to start with? In other words, what is the benefit of doing it. Thanks, i am just curious.
    Not all companies carry the phone you may want. So you buy the one you want, unlock it and your off being happy using the phone you WANTED.
    01-08-10 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD