Had the opportunity to play with a couple of the new verizon phones while I was at the store today......

Opinions - (1) Moto Droid - CRAPPY keyboard, felt really cheap. would never consider buying one.
    (2) Droid Eris by HTC - Nice device, nice UI, would recommend.....

HTC Immagio - Very nice device, would have no problem owning one

HTC TP2 - The dirty bass turds didnt have a display model.
    11-06-09 08:01 PM
    I didn't like the Droid either...

The Droid Eris is just like the Sprint HTC Hero, been there done that. I didn't like it. It's a beautiful phone with a fun UI, but too much flash not enough work capabilities. The battery drained faster than a Storm 1 in global mode with battery leaks.
    11-06-09 08:07 PM
    Mmmkay,

- Had the Imagio, it was nice...
    - Got to play with the Eris, very nice.. a little small for my taste but still worthwhile
    - Droid.... my new love.. I was quite skeptical but after having it for the day... iheartdroid
    - BB Tour... I love you, you are my rock...
    11-06-09 08:14 PM
    Had the opportunity to play with a couple of the new verizon phones while I was at the store today......

Opinions - (1) Moto Droid - CRAPPY keyboard, felt really cheap. would never consider buying one.
    (2) Droid Eris by HTC - Nice device, nice UI, would recommend.....

HTC Immagio - Very nice device, would have no problem owning one

HTC TP2 - The dirty bass turds didnt have a display model. .
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com. I went hands on with a moto droid myself today I concur with the crappy keyboad assesment. Waaay too small and not raised mad accurate typing impossible! Sticking with s1 for now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-09 08:33 PM
    The Moto keyboard will take some getting used to... I really don't mind the size, but it is flat, and the keys aren't offset like the best Qwerty models out there... But what gets me is the fact that the keyboard is way off to the left... You really have to stretch your left thumb to reach some of the middle keys...

The Eris is a really solid device, but the specs are quite average compared to the Droid, and a lot of other phones on the horizon...

11-06-09 10:11 PM
    Oh boy - finally, people with taste.

I have played with the Moto Droid for going on two weeks now. The model I got is final version - the same as what the rest of the world got today, so no prototype.

I agree - cheap feel. I can see that plastic screen coming loose after a drop or two.

Slider mechanism is a high point. Feels like a nicely damped piece.

Android 2.0 - sorry, but nothing to write home about. Google went for a cross between iPhone & TouchPro/Wiz. They failed to top either. The Palm Pre is more responsive.

Yes, it is filled with features - little of use, unless you're stuck in a world full of teeny-bopper kidiots with Facebook & Twitter. Still needs Pandora for Internet radio.

Speaking of apps, the only reason this OS & this phone might be considered more stable than a new WM device is you're limited to only six apps. Think that's enough? Get radio, browser, text & address book up & you only have two left. I guess if I limited my TP2 to only six apps, it would run faster & be more stable. The TP2 has required all of three hard resets, so I guess it isn't an issue.

Battery life - sorry, but with the correct settings, I get better talk/usage time on TP2 and Imagio.

UI - why only three screens? This thing was supposed to be special.

The keyboard is crap - both physical & virtual. The TP2 is better with both & the O2 is a better touchscreen only device. Bear in mind that I don't like touchscreens, but could live with an iPhone or Imagio or O2. The Moto Droid has almost seen the business side of a block wall several times. The physical keyboard's keys are nearly worthless - flat, no space between, little feel. The D-Pad is an example of when designers set out to make the crappiest, cheapest-looking square they could. It looks like a foil sticky from a do-it-yourself Christmas ornament kit - cheesy is the nicest thing I can say about it. Texting or emailing with either Moto Droid keyboard option is disasterous.

Touch control? Tiny links will baffle you in Google's rendition of the Webkit browser. Palm does Webkit better. I have an easier time with links on the HTCs & in the rare case I have issues, there is always the stylus. You can't use a stylus on Droid, nor can you use a gloved finger. Apple still reigns here, unless you're wearing gloves or like a stylus.

The Voice Control is nifty - if it would only recognize half of what I say. The processor power needed to run it also swallows battery.

Need to make a call? Press a button, swipe to unlock, find the phone button, then make your call. I thought it was a phone first.

Radio is exemplary. On par with or slightly better than HTC or Samsung, worlds away better than BlackBerry or iPhone, but still behind LG.

Where are the Office apps? QuickOffice is yet another clone that doesn't come close. Wait - this is a toy, not a tool.

It has free turn-by-turn GPS that is mediocre, at best. It is a beta from Google & not as good as the crappy VZNav and, like Google Maps, not something you can rely on. But hey, it is free.

Privacy - not on this OS. Google gets to see almost everything you do on it, including your location. I strongly advise against keeping anything personal on your phone. The Google-happy media doesn't report on this aspect, because in this regard, this phone is worse than BlackBerry.

Verizon does offer a full lineup of cases & covers for these phones - a rarity with new devices. Look for OEM stuff for the TP2 & you can see what I mean. But the accessories are chintzy - they could learn from Seidio & Pocket Solutions before charging Seidio & Pocket Solutions prices. We're talking cheap plastic hard shells on par with the $5 Chinese eBay specials - except VZW soaks you $25 for them. The leather/leatherette side cases aren't too bad, except they are embossed with the VZW logo device. If I am going to pay premium money for a medium-quality item, I don't want to advertise for VZW. Give me top-grain oiled leather - I can get those for $15 - just not custom-fit for Droid. The hard & silicone cases ruin what little touchscreen experience you have because they are too thick. Again, Seidio does it better.

Camera isn't bad - but there are better ones out there. The Samsung Rogue takes better pictures & is faster starting. The enV Touch is better, too.

The speakerphone is as bad as BlackBerry. It flat-out sucks.

Looks - I've heard it & said it & I will repeat it here - yuck. This thing will cause iPhone owners' sides to split open. Cool it is not. Squared to the the extreme & the slider screen looks like an add-on afterthought. Gee, I guess they had to make room for the VZW logo on the face - to go along with another logo on the back, as well as a Google logo.

There are more nooks & crannies in its craggy design than you can shake a stick at - and all are dirt & dust collectors.

In the end, it is a much better device than any BlackBerry - people who would rather hang on to BlackBerry are nuts - unless they only value appearance. BlackBerrys are classier looking than the Moto Droid. But it still isn't as good as the alternatives. WM can do more. Symbian can do more. Palm can do more. Droid does more than iPhone or BlackBerry, but mostly in the area of toys - snake, foggy screens, etc. It is possibly one of the ugliest toys on the planet that happens to also make phone calls. Carry a Moto Droid & no one who knows technology will take you seriously.

It will attract zero iPhone users other than the ones who just can't live with AT&T anymore. It has done nothing to sway the opinion of this Linux/WM/Symbian fan, because it can't do anything those platforms can't.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 11-06-09 at 11:54 PM.
    11-06-09 10:28 PM
    Here is a link to a couple of upcoming devices - screen shots, comparisons & do not miss the comments...especially with regards to capacitive vs. resistive.

Samsung Omnia 2 vs HTC HD2 in pictures
    11-06-09 11:22 PM
    Here is a link to a couple of upcoming devices - screen shots, comparisons & do not miss the comments...especially with regards to capacitive vs. resistive.

Samsung Omnia 2 vs HTC HD2 in pictures
    Twins, with an open platform, how long before a viris get installed, and what if any security is out there.....
    11-07-09 08:35 AM
    The Moto keyboard will take some getting used to... I really don't mind the size, but it is flat, and the keys aren't offset like the best Qwerty models out there... But what gets me is the fact that the keyboard is way off to the left... You really have to stretch your left thumb to reach some of the middle keys...

The Eris is a really solid device, but the specs are quite average compared to the Droid, and a lot of other phones on the horizon...

Seems to me it would be like a EnV2 keyboard size. Im heading in to my local store today after work to check it out. I dont like cheap feeling phones; neither does my bf. He's more interested in the name and Lucas licensing.
    ( Star Wars geek )
    I like quality. However, maybe the OS will make the Moto hardware worthwhile.
    11-07-09 09:26 AM
    Oh boy - finally, people with taste.

I have played with the Moto Droid for going on two weeks now. The model I got is final version - the same as what the rest of the world got today, so no prototype.

I agree - cheap feel. I can see that plastic screen coming loose after a drop or two.

Slider mechanism is a high point. Feels like a nicely damped piece.

Android 2.0 - sorry, but nothing to write home about. Google went for a cross between iPhone & TouchPro/Wiz. They failed to top either. The Palm Pre is more responsive.

Yes, it is filled with features - little of use, unless you're stuck in a world full of teeny-bopper kidiots with Facebook & Twitter. Still needs Pandora for Internet radio.

Speaking of apps, the only reason this OS & this phone might be considered more stable than a new WM device is you're limited to only six apps. Think that's enough? Get radio, browser, text & address book up & you only have two left. I guess if I limited my TP2 to only six apps, it would run faster & be more stable. The TP2 has required all of three hard resets, so I guess it isn't an issue.

Battery life - sorry, but with the correct settings, I get better talk/usage time on TP2 and Imagio.

UI - why only three screens? This thing was supposed to be special.

The keyboard is crap - both physical & virtual. The TP2 is better with both & the O2 is a better touchscreen only device. Bear in mind that I don't like touchscreens, but could live with an iPhone or Imagio or O2. The Moto Droid has almost seen the business side of a block wall several times. The physical keyboard's keys are nearly worthless - flat, no space between, little feel. The D-Pad is an example of when designers set out to make the crappiest, cheapest-looking square they could. It looks like a foil sticky from a do-it-yourself Christmas ornament kit - cheesy is the nicest thing I can say about it. Texting or emailing with either Moto Droid keyboard option is disasterous.

Touch control? Tiny links will baffle you in Google's rendition of the Webkit browser. Palm does Webkit better. I have an easier time with links on the HTCs & in the rare case I have issues, there is always the stylus. You can't use a stylus on Droid, nor can you use a gloved finger. Apple still reigns here, unless you're wearing gloves or like a stylus.

The Voice Control is nifty - if it would only recognize half of what I say. The processor power needed to run it also swallows battery.

Need to make a call? Press a button, swipe to unlock, find the phone button, then make your call. I thought it was a phone first.

Radio is exemplary. On par with or slightly better than HTC or Samsung, worlds away better than BlackBerry or iPhone, but still behind LG.

Where are the Office apps? QuickOffice is yet another clone that doesn't come close. Wait - this is a toy, not a tool.

It has free turn-by-turn GPS that is mediocre, at best. It is a beta from Google & not as good as the crappy VZNav and, like Google Maps, not something you can rely on. But hey, it is free.

Privacy - not on this OS. Google gets to see almost everything you do on it, including your location. I strongly advise against keeping anything personal on your phone. The Google-happy media doesn't report on this aspect, because in this regard, this phone is worse than BlackBerry.

Verizon does offer a full lineup of cases & covers for these phones - a rarity with new devices. Look for OEM stuff for the TP2 & you can see what I mean. But the accessories are chintzy - they could learn from Seidio & Pocket Solutions before charging Seidio & Pocket Solutions prices. We're talking cheap plastic hard shells on par with the $5 Chinese eBay specials - except VZW soaks you $25 for them. The leather/leatherette side cases aren't too bad, except they are embossed with the VZW logo device. If I am going to pay premium money for a medium-quality item, I don't want to advertise for VZW. Give me top-grain oiled leather - I can get those for $15 - just not custom-fit for Droid. The hard & silicone cases ruin what little touchscreen experience you have because they are too thick. Again, Seidio does it better.

Camera isn't bad - but there are better ones out there. The Samsung Rogue takes better pictures & is faster starting. The enV Touch is better, too.

The speakerphone is as bad as BlackBerry. It flat-out sucks.

Looks - I've heard it & said it & I will repeat it here - yuck. This thing will cause iPhone owners' sides to split open. Cool it is not. Squared to the the extreme & the slider screen looks like an add-on afterthought. Gee, I guess they had to make room for the VZW logo on the face - to go along with another logo on the back, as well as a Google logo.

There are more nooks & crannies in its craggy design than you can shake a stick at - and all are dirt & dust collectors.

In the end, it is a much better device than any BlackBerry - people who would rather hang on to BlackBerry are nuts - unless they only value appearance. BlackBerrys are classier looking than the Moto Droid. But it still isn't as good as the alternatives. WM can do more. Symbian can do more. Palm can do more. Droid does more than iPhone or BlackBerry, but mostly in the area of toys - snake, foggy screens, etc. It is possibly one of the ugliest toys on the planet that happens to also make phone calls. Carry a Moto Droid & no one who knows technology will take you seriously.

It will attract zero iPhone users other than the ones who just can't live with AT&T anymore. It has done nothing to sway the opinion of this Linux/WM/Symbian fan, because it can't do anything those platforms can't.

The problem is twins, is that I think it is supposed to be a toy.

I dont think its set to be a business deice, I have a hard time believing the Iphone is either.

But those who want more out of their phone have looked through apple's facade of saying they are for the business user.

The biggest complaint I have about it is the look. People pull out their iphone, as a way to show off. Most people will pull them out even without you asking them to, and show them off, and get offended when you giggle, because they boast how their itunes works so flawlessly, and how their phone does things that were able to be done on the lg 8300.

But hey, there is a piece of fruit on the back, so it has to be good right?

And that is what droid is supposed to be, "it has google on the back, so it must be advanced".

I was thinking about an eris, because I want a toy, that would look like a pda when I pull it out. But I keep getting pulled into the imagio. I have such a laziness in finding out things about roms and getting it to its full potential, but Im sure it will hook me when it gets to that point.

But for your average consumer, the droid is perfect; a toy that I can trick people into thinking is a business device, just like the iphone.
    11-07-09 10:31 AM
    Well, first of all Jim you sir are a tool (and a troll). You were on the Android forums bashing it and stirring up chaos, get a life.

Twins, if the Droid you have has a plastic screen then it is a prototype. The Droid screen I spied last night being broken by a drunken fool was glass. He even cut his hand on the broken bits of glass, I cleaned up his mess and 86ed his drunken a$$ from my bar. It was quite a site to see a grown man cry over his broken,new device. My point though is that it is glass.

Some of the comparisons you make are of devices that are not smartphones. While there are better components in other phones I think we should keep the comparisons in the same phone class (smartphones).

The Moto Droid is not for everyone, and certainly Google will scare the Chicken Little's of the world, but it is a step in the right direction. Future renditions of Android will bring it on par with the Jesus Phone. Besides, check out the Sense UI on the HTC Eris, it solves some of the problems you mention and adds multi-touch to the mix.

Me, Im staying with Crapberry (as Twins call it), for now
    11-07-09 11:33 AM
    @ the OP you're too funny! So, tell me how does the droid compare to the pearl? I have both now and let me tell you...for you to start a thread calling the droid "crappy" when you're still running a pearl...FUNNY ****E!

Get a life fool
    11-07-09 11:38 AM
    Well, first of all Jim you sir are a tool (and a troll). You were on the Android forums bashing it and stirring up chaos, get a life.

Twins, if the Droid you have has a plastic screen then it is a prototype. The Droid screen I spied last night being broken by a drunken fool was glass. He even cut his hand on the broken bits of glass, I cleaned up his mess and 86ed his drunken a$$ from my bar. It was quite a site to see a grown man cry over his broken,new device. My point though is that it is glass.

Some of the comparisons you make are of devices that are not smartphones. While there are better components in other phones I think we should keep the comparisons in the same phone class (smartphones).

The Moto Droid is not for everyone, and certainly Google will scare the Chicken Little's of the world, but it is a step in the right direction. Future renditions of Android will bring it on par with the Jesus Phone. Besides, check out the Sense UI on the HTC Eris, it solves some of the problems you mention and adds multi-touch to the mix.

Me, Im staying with Crapberry (as Twins call it), for now
    @you...... I am not quite sure how a regular contributor can be called a troll? Pretty Sure I see my name around here more often than yours.

2ndly---- I don't believe that I have EVER been on the Android forums.... let alone stirring **** there......get your facts straight.

I never said I don't like the Android platform, I said that the keyboard on the Moto was reallt crappy and cheap feeling........I really enjoyed the Eris.

What does 86ing anyone from the bar have to do with anything?

@ the OP you're too funny! So, tell me how does the droid compare to the pearl? I have both now and let me tell you...for you to start a thread calling the droid "crappy" when you're still running a pearl...FUNNY ****E!

Get a life fool
    At you...... Quite frankly, my pearl, and the entire pearl line in general, are gigantic pieces of crap. I wish I didn't have one, but I am not due for an upgrade until March, and for the price of full retail on some of these phones, I think I will stick with what I have for 5 more months.

I am not quite sure how my current phone discredits my opinions of the other phones?

Never said the Droid as a whole was crap. Just the keyboard. have you used one? If you have you know how disappointing that keyboard is when you look at the rest of the phone.
    Last edited by Jim from NW Pa; 11-07-09 at 12:03 PM. Reason: cause I typed the word that the TV football analyst said instead of my thoughts
    11-07-09 11:56 AM
    @ Jim

I didnt realize we were competitors. I wouldnt be bragging about the fact that you are on the forums more often than I am.

You have NOT been on the Android forums, I apologize-I was wrong. I confused you with some other troll, too much coffee this morning.

My sincerest apologies .

Oh, the keyboard is crap.
    Last edited by cenloe; 11-07-09 at 12:11 PM.
    11-07-09 11:59 AM
    @you...... I am not quite sure how a regular competitor can be called a troll? Pretty Sure I see my name around here more often than yours.

2ndly---- I don't believe that I have EVER been on the Android forums.... let alone stirring **** there......get your facts straight.

I never said I don't like the Android platform, I said that the keyboard on the Moto was reallt crappy and cheap feeling........I really enjoyed the Eris.

What does 86ing anyone from the bar have to do with anything?

At you...... Quite frankly, my pearl, and the entire pearl line in general, are gigantic pieces of crap. I wish I didn't have one, but I am not due for an upgrade until March, and for the price of full retail on some of these phones, I think I will stick with what I have for 5 more months.

I am not quite sure how my current phone discredits my opinions of the other phones?

Never said the Droid as a whole was crap. Just the keyboard. have you used one? If you have you know how disappointing that keyboard is when you look at the rest of the phone.
    Yeah, I HAVE a droid! I take offense to you calling it crap is all. Its just a matter of compromise. I'm not super excited by the keyboard but ask me again in a few months. Just like the keyboard on the pearl was the compromise in getting the small form factor. You may like it now as I do mine but did you really like it as much when you first got it? Probably not. Prefer the suretype keyboard of the pearl over the qwerty on the tour etc.
    11-07-09 12:03 PM
    Yeah, I HAVE a droid! I take offense to you calling it crap is all. Its just a matter of compromise. I'm not super excited by the keyboard but ask me again in a few months. Just like the keyboard on the pearl was the compromise in getting the small form factor. You may like it now as I do mine but did you really like it as much when you first got it? Probably not. Prefer the suretype keyboard of the pearl over the qwerty on the tour etc.
    The keyboard on the pearl sucks. quite frankly. I am sorry that I offended you, but if you look at the keyboards on some of the other newer phones that have come out recently, even not recently, I feel that Moto dropped the ball on that keyboard. Its a step backwards IMHO......

And I can't believe that someone would take such offense to someone calling your phone crap, unless you were the designer
    11-07-09 12:07 PM
    @you...... I am not quite sure how a regular contributor can be called a troll? Pretty Sure I see my name around here more often than yours.
    Just because you regularly contribute doesn't automatically mean anything you say can't be trolling... Not saying you are but i just hate when people do actually troll then try to say there not because they've been here X years longer than you.
    11-07-09 12:30 PM
    The keyboard on the pearl sucks. quite frankly. I am sorry that I offended you, but if you look at the keyboards on some of the other newer phones that have come out recently, even not recently, I feel that Moto dropped the ball on that keyboard. Its a step backwards IMHO......

And I can't believe that someone would take such offense to someone calling your phone crap, unless you were the designer
    Well now I am personally offended <--sarcasm.

Really, calling something crap is pretty definitive and final. It could be better so could the S2, iphone etc.
    11-07-09 12:35 PM
    No htc hd2 on verizon twins

11-07-09 12:41 PM
    If you think a high-polycarbonate composite is glass, you probably also think US currency is paper. There is about the same percentage of glass in that poly as there is paper in money.

Polycarbonate can and will cut as well as glass.

And where is the oleophobic coating? Look at the thing & it is covered with fingerprints.

There will be some who think it is wonderful & in some ways, it is. But it is bested in nearly every category by something else - including some by iPhone. As I mentioned before - three app screens, with real estate being swallowed by widgets? My iPhone has 11 & my TP2 has a near-infinite number.

The app handling isn't good either. Our benchmarks show obvious performance hits with each app addition. Response to input is below average, too - I can't think of a single platform that this thing responds faster than.

Sorry, but this thing will end up being seen as yet another failed stab at dethroning iPhone.

And oh my, is it hideous.

11-07-09 12:56 PM
    No htc hd2 on verizon twins
    While not an entirely reliable indicator, the one I have is VZW spec. So we'll see.

11-07-09 01:04 PM
    To yodes, I didn't intend to stir the **** so I am pretty sure I am not trolling. Just sharing my opinion with everyone that hasn't seen them yet ....not sure where the troll accuser got the android board thing, cause the Verizon forums are almost excusively where I post.

To Erik, never said other phones were perfect. There will never be a perfect device. To me, however, the keyboard on the moto is a deal beaker. And in further agreeance with your post, there is a LOT of room for improvement on the S2

11-07-09 01:42 PM
    When you get right down to it - if everyone would refrain from ever saying one phone is the best, as if you having or wanting a particular device somehow validates your otherwise boring life & your reason for existence. Instead, try thinking about what might be best for your needs.

If you want liver cooked rare with onions, bacon & mushrooms (yummy) for breakfast, have it. I know a good ribeye steak is better, but we're saving that for dinner. If you like fried Spam (yuck) for lunch, fine. I certainly won't be joining you there.

As has been said in the past, you have a right to your own opinions, but not your own facts. And, there is no accounting for taste, good or bad.

Thinking the Moto Droid is anything other than a BlackBerry killer & an ugly iPhone wannabe is just a sign of poor taste, but that's your problem. You might want to don your plaid Herb Tarlek suit, complete with white belt & shoes & tell us you know style & substance. You'd be about as believable.

11-07-09 01:56 PM
    Oh well, polycarbonate is certainly better than plain old plastic. While polycarbonate is considered a plastic, it is also considered bullet proof, but may scratch easily.

If you think polycarbonate isnt as good as glass, you probably think our U.S. currency is better than paper.

You are right about it the Moto Droid being ugly as sin.
    11-07-09 02:08 PM
    I am still trying to figure out where the tool/troll/android forums accusation came from

11-07-09 02:48 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD