So, here I am yesterday trying to sign up for a pretty basic wireless plan with Rogers. I've been with Bell for awhile but managed to snag a BlackBerry recently so I trot into my local Rogers wireless to buy a SIM and sign up for a voice+data plan. I only have one requirement: I don't want to sign up for some 3 year contract where if I decide to cancel my wireless services I owe Rogers 500$ for nothing (after all, I have my own device...).

After a 20 minute wait or so, the Rogers rep informs me that any of the decent plans (ie. the new 50$ voice+data plan) require a 3 year commitment. Yeah right! He then proceeds to call Rogers customer support to try to figure out what plans are offered month to month. While he is on hold, I ask if he is just calling the same number I'd call from home. He says yes. I find it hilarious that Rogers' own retail outlets are so gimped! Anyways, the rep on the phone says I can just pay for a voice and data plan seperately and I can go month to month. Ok, good. What does he recommend? A 25$ plan for 250 anytime minutes and the 25$ for 500 mb plan. This is what you get for 57$ a month from Rogers (with their ridiculous "access fee"). Begrudgingly, I say to myself... hey, I guess so. If I decide this is a rip off, I can always cancel in a couple months and switch to prepaid or something... Then the guy informs me that I'd need to make a $100 deposit that they would hold for at least a year, presumably just so that Rogers can truly feel that they own my life.

Well, considering I already have services with Rogers I thought that was pretty ridiculous (phone+internet+tv), but the guy claimed I had "bad credit" with them. Probably because last year they sent me a bill several weeks late so I ended up with a late payment. Good job Rogers.

You'd think they'd want me to move my wireless account over to them from Bell. They are lucky they are the only GSM carrier, because at this point that's the only reason I'm having this conversation.

How does one deal with this evil Rogers corporation? I ended up just paying for the SIM so I could deal with CS myself from home. From the posts on this forum it seems some of you have figured out how to handle these guys. My only advantage is that I already have a device, and I'm willing to wait...
    10-04-08 02:15 PM
    Call Rogers CS and be VERY NICE. Smile ( you can hear it in your voice, don't think otherwise), joke with them, and be NICE! Don't make demands, just ask very humble questions (This is what I want to do...what's the best way to do it?). They will help. Yelling does nothing since most of them don't have control over it anyways- it's corporate policy.

It's normal for them to ask for a 100$ deposit. If you think of it you'll get it back in a year anyways.
    10-04-08 05:21 PM
    I've been nice so far. It's just frustrating that no one seems to actually "know" the pricing or the availability of any of the plans. I'll try CS tonight.
    10-04-08 05:43 PM
    I've been nice so far. It's just frustrating that no one seems to actually "know" the pricing or the availability of any of the plans. I'll try CS tonight.
    PM me, we can work something out and maybe the rep didn't thoroughly take you down each avenue yet.
    10-04-08 08:40 PM
    Stick to bell. Rogers sux!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 07:20 AM
    Lol. Poor Rogers. I don't know how the rep managed to be so cheerful. It must be the Canadian touch.

10-05-08 08:26 AM
    You gotta know people from the "inside" when it comes to rogers.

it's kind of ridiculous what kind of difference it makes....
    10-05-08 08:35 AM

I think the worst part is when I try to "understand" the logic behind their pricing schemes... None of it makes any sense! It's like they just randomly pick calling features out of a hat and then assign a price to it...
    10-06-08 04:54 PM
    Like I said, stick to bell. Rogers will suck the life out of you. The only time they care is when you leave them....maybe.

10-07-08 03:19 AM
    When I changed from Telus to Rogers less then a month ago, I had a lot of trouble finding the right information,

I would call Rogers, they would tell me something.. I would call the next day to be told by another rep that the first rep was wrong.. Went to a store, who didn't know the info that I needed, asked me to go to another Rogers store, and they told me to call.. Which I did, they told me to go in a store..

I did that for a month until I lose my patience and write an email, They called me back and worked things out..
    10-07-08 05:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD