If the changes posted are actual changes that are happening then there are reasons why VzW would do it.

Cell phones from five years ago are moving from just voice, txt, basic get it now services into multimedia devices. They're capable of doing web, social networking, email, etc. In my opinion the industry is changing towards data usage. This may not make sense now but what about in a year or two years? There was just as big of a negative outcry when Verizon (and other cellcos) started requiring data plans for all PDAs. Now it's the norm and I hear it all the time, "Why would you want PDA without data."

The device selection now is limited regarding which devices do not require data plans, that is correct. Do not think, however, that Verizon Wireless isn't going to be launching phones that do cater to those people. The phones listed as phones requiring a data plan (minus maybe the 8360) are used for data primarily.

I don't agree with some of the changes Verizon is making, but, it's not up to me to make the changes and I (and every employee on this board) does not have a say so in what changes happen. Verizon Wireless executives have lead this company to great success, so I trust their judgement.

Just an FYI, this post does not confirm that these changes are actually occuring.
    01-15-10 03:55 PM
    Maybe the FCC should be looking this practice as well. The problem is that almost every phone is a multimedia phone these days. I'm still not clear on why one can't get a Blackberry without a data plan. Not that I would want one. It's a marketing decision nothing else.
    It's pretty interesting that you would bring up the FCC looking into this when Verizon Wireless, if this were implemented, would be the only cellco on the market to have a majority of their phones require data plans. The ability to change carriers does exist.

Also, the FCC should look into the LOWERING of the price plans by 30%. Those evil cellco's!
    01-15-10 03:56 PM
    Verizon Wireless more expensive than Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.. Requiring data plans, higher ETFs, etc.. yet VZW is hitting the 90 million mark and holds the best customer satisfaction rating and a great churn level.

So regardless of what any "fanboy" or "fangirl" says in this thread the truth still stays the same - VZW is the best. Not because I said it or anyone here said it, but because 90 million customers are sending in payments each month.

This is not a scam. This is a BUSINESS move that is smart and is backed by the same people responsible for bringing the biggest to the best.
    01-15-10 04:52 PM
    It was already commented on a little in another thread, but we need to complain about this:

While they are indeed lowering the prices of some of the most expensive plans (which probably carry a larger profit margin to begin with), it is hiding the big $$$ secret that will kill many new phone purchases, or in the least **** people off.

Starting Monday, Verizon is going to REQUIRE $10/month, or $240/2-yr contract for 25MB of data. There are MANY problems with this.

1) I understand there are a ton of dumb users out there who rack up data costs "by-the-MB" and then complain and VZW gets screwed. Still, how many people could this be? And why not let THEM pay instead of all new phone buyers? If you go over your limit and spend $10+ twice on data, VZW automatically signs you up for the $10/month plan. Or decide to make it explicitly clear in advertising and in-store that data costs money (several misleading VZW ads claim otherwise).

2) We are all BB users, but how many people in your family don't have BBs? Most teens have text phones and now the latest phone, in addition to high text rates (texts don't cost too much to VZW compared to other services)...in ADDITION to paying more for texting, now they'll be forced for data as well.

3) There are geniune users out there that won't use data. Parents block from kids and they still get hit. My mom...will never use data; just want to learn how to text. And they are going to block these sales when people go in and find out it's $10/month.

4) I think VZW charging people to browse their store is rediculous, but that's another story...

5) 25MB? That's it? Many BB users claim up to a GB a month in data for $30. NO value here, they are getting straight ripped off, unless you compare it to the "pay as you go" rate which is ludicrous already.

I'm going to go out and BUY the next text phone IMMEDIATELY before these "discounts" take hold. Nice play, VZW, we've seen it before. If only ATT can improve its network a little...

1. Verizon Wireless has done internal analysis and know exactly how many people would benefit and how many are already paying for data on 3G devices. Those customers who don't want to buy a data package do have options for great basic phones. Basic phones for basic uses - not good for those who use their phone as a status symbol (similar to those wanting to have a BB without data). VZW doesn't get screwed - customer's are getting charged $1.99/MB and it isn't like that gets credited each time they complain. So instead of VZW charging you $9.99 for 25MB they get to charge you approx $50. So it's a $40 gain on their part.

2. Paying more for texting? Limited text features will still be available at $5 and $10. The current Select Plans that include unlimited texting are $20 more than the Basic plans. The only thing this price plan change is affecting is going to be the Connect and Premium plans.

3. Again - basic phones will allow your mom to have no data and data features. Someone who just texts and uses no data doesn't need a 3G phone - pointless. You can also put a data block on the line and you're good.

4. That was a rather stupid comment

5. 25MB is for those who want to check their e-mail and maybe look at some sport scores every now and then. If you want to use unlimited data for your 3G feature phone - get the $30 unlimited MB data package. Problem solved.

So how was this a scam again? Oh that's right - your own ignorance blinded you.
    01-15-10 05:12 PM
    All they need to do is ask you if you want data.
    If you don't put a block that must be removed and a data plan signed up for.
    The reality is, that they see it as a revenue stream. If the phone is capable, force a plan.

Looks like robbery to me. Legal, but still robbery.
    01-15-10 05:14 PM
    The reality is, that they see it as a revenue stream. If the phone is capable, force a plan.

Oh how dare VZW want to increase revenue!! Don't get a 3G phone and you won't have to pay a dime for the data and you can have your block. That simple.
    01-15-10 05:21 PM
    Ts, aside from your arrogant and elitist response, there are no impressive options for "basic" phones. Text friendly devices are basically eliminated here. Its either very limited crapware or 3g data plan. You should be able to have an option. Try telling the parent of 2 it will cost $480 extra over 2 years to get an env3 that is primarly a text phone. If they complain, tell them they are ignorant. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 05:34 PM
    Again, I think Verizon will launch more devices as "basic phones" in the future.

01-15-10 05:44 PM
    Ts, aside from your arrogant and elitist response, there are no impressive options for "basic" phones. Text friendly devices are basically eliminated here. Its either very limited crapware or 3g data plan. You should be able to have an option. Try telling the parent of 2 it will cost $480 extra over 2 years to get an env3 that is primarly a text phone. If they complain, tell them they are ignorant. Good luck.

Well if they can't afford it, then how is it a scam? Your title is ignorant. Not a concerned customer who doesn't understand the changes and benefits.

$480 over the next 2 years - you try to include 2 years of service to make it sound oh so terrible.

Since you want to bring up big numbers: Most customers will be making over $10/hr. So assuming they make just $10 will mean 1.25% of their total hours worked that month (assuming 40 hr work week) will go to the 2 required $10 data plans.

Maybe not buy the kids so much junk food and you'll find that most can afford it.

That wonderful Env 3 you speak so highly of is hardly above the supposed "crapware".

***If you're making $10/hr and have 2 kids, then the last thing you can afford is a cell phone for each kid.
    01-15-10 05:50 PM
    ***If you're making $10/hr and have 2 kids, then the last thing you can afford is a cell phone for each kid.
    +1
    I can't tell you how much it irks me to stand behind some moron in the grocery store paying for their food with their WIC card and all 20 of their kids have cell phones stuck to the sides of their heads.
    01-15-10 06:03 PM
    +1
    I can't tell you how much it irks me to stand behind some moron in the grocery store paying for their food with their WIC card and all 20 of their kids have cell phones stuck to the sides of their heads.
    EXACTLY! Or when you see a family in a brand new hummer only to pay with food stamps..
    01-15-10 06:07 PM
    You have to bring up the big numbers so people will understand. Its 280 over the contract for a feature that goes unused. And 1.25% is a big deal for families these days for something as frivolous as Verizon's deceptive practices. I hope many rut

01-15-10 07:04 PM
    You have to bring up the big numbers so people will understand. Its 280 over the contract for a feature that goes unused. And 1.25% is a big deal for families these days for something as frivolous as Verizon's deceptive practices. I hope many either buy phones this weekend or ditch Verizon entirely.
    01-15-10 07:04 PM

Elistist? It is not like VZW is the only game in town. People have been getting away with "murder" the last few years. Have you read some of these posts on this forum, people have ingeniously come up with to beat the system. VZW is making it more difficult to find loopholes in their system. Part of a seemingly overhauled strategy to increase their profitability and decrease their expenses. There is a reason Sprint is the way it is.

I'm hoping it will result in lower prices for me. I'll find out I guess.
    01-15-10 07:07 PM
    You have to bring up the big numbers so people will understand. Its 280 over the contract for a feature that goes unused. And 1.25% is a big deal for families these days for something as frivolous as Verizon's deceptive practices. I hope many either buy phones this weekend or ditch Verizon entirely.
    1.25% is not a big deal.. you're talking about a single parent with 2 kids both with new cell phones making $10/hr. That's unrealistic and quite frankly, stupid.

Most people would have to work one hour to make up for it and that's all. Not much.

Again - plenty of good basic phones if you don't need web. You don't need a touch screen LG or Samsung with OLED for texting. That would also be stupid.
    01-15-10 07:08 PM
    With threads titled how to get an s2 and early upgrade I don't blame verizon a bit. Its no different then gas prices, you don't have to own a car, like you don't have to use data. You'll pay because you like the convenience.

01-15-10 07:20 PM
    What's one percent of your salary? Would you be willing to give it up for something you have no desire to use? take it out of your next paycheck? For a family pulling in maybe 50k, they will not be willing to give up 120 a year per phone for something they don't use.

01-15-10 07:27 PM
    Btw, idk how people are going to continue buying phones when the rep says "oh, this is also ten more per mont than it used to be "

01-15-10 07:29 PM
    This is going to be long...

...it is hiding the big $$$ secret that will kill many new phone purchases, or in the least **** people off.

Starting Monday, Verizon is going to REQUIRE $10/month, or $240/2-yr contract for 25MB of data. There are MANY problems with this....
    I could very well be wrong here, but I don't think anything really changed. I thought Verizon always required those certain phones to be on either a Connect or Premium calling plan. The Connect is only $10 over the Select, which is the same as the new data plan requirement (albeit not unlimited).

... but it takes NOTHING away from this deceptive price increase...
    What is deceptive here? They are clearing listing out the plans and requirements.

Maybe the FCC should be looking this practice as well. The problem is that almost every phone is a multimedia phone these days. I'm still not clear on why one can't get a Blackberry without a data plan. Not that I would want one. It's a marketing decision nothing else.
    I do actually agree! The FCC should regulate the wireless telephone carriers just as the landline telephone carriers in that they should be utilities and not luxuries. Landline carriers do not require you to add on any features and wireless ones shouldn't either. They should allow you to get the basics with any device you want... which I also believe they should not be allowed to sell directly themselves. The landline carriers don't sell the phones, you pick them up at any local store.

1. Verizon Wireless has done internal analysis and know exactly how many people would benefit and how many are already paying for data on 3G devices...
    LOL, I'm sure that's what it was... they are doing it to benefit the customer and not benefit their pockets.

I agree with this. They should allow you to purchase any device you want and just add on the messaging block or data block.

Oh how dare VZW want to increase revenue!! Don't get a 3G phone and you won't have to pay a dime for the data and you can have your block. That simple.
    I'm all for them increasing their revenue, but by consumer choice, not forced.
    01-15-10 07:58 PM
    Shop somewhere else, no one makes anybody buy from VZW, and you have some of those rate plans wrong, need to wait till monday before we can say anything
    Yep, that's what my family plans on doing -- shopping around. We will not renew our Verizon contracts.

We have been with Verizon for 13 years. This is the straw that broke the camels back! If prices are too steep, we will halt our smartphone plans, and revert back to a landline.
    Last edited by diznut; 01-15-10 at 09:35 PM.
    01-15-10 09:31 PM
    Yep, that's what my family plans on doing -- shopping around. We will not renew our Verizon contracts.

We have been with Verizon for 13 years. This is the straw that broke the camels back! If prices are too steep, we will halt our smartphone plans, and revert back to a landline.
    But Smartphones required data anyway......DURP!
    01-15-10 09:46 PM

Sorry to see you go .
    01-15-10 10:18 PM

These new rate plan changes which will affect you in no way but positively was the straw that broke the camels back?.... Strange...
    01-15-10 11:01 PM
    I have been with them for many yrs even before it was Verizon. I also have my wireless internet and it is unlimited. I got it under a special promotion and I won't upgrade because I know I will lose it. My USB finally died out on me after working for 5 yrs and numerous updates. So 3 months ago I got an out of warranty USB at a decent price and it didn't effect my current contract. I can do an early upgrade now but they will be 4G on the internet sometime this yr. But the last rep I spoke with told me I could lose the plan I have if I upgrade. So to keep it, I won't be.
    I don't want to be dimmed to death. I am grandfathered into that data plan and they can't force me to sign a new contract.
    01-16-10 12:32 AM
    I might be losing my job and I hope that is not the case. But the company I am working for is downsizing and my job may be dropped. I can't afford increased prices. I am just hoping it doesn't happen.
    01-16-10 12:35 AM
134 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD