probably already been stated but not all phones are going to require the $10 data package only the 3g multimedia phones such as alias 2, env touch, samsung rouge, and i think 2 more. so as for saying its demanded on all phones not true. and it will give you the option for either the $10 or the unlimited for $29.99.
    01-17-10 08:57 PM
    probably already been stated but not all phones are going to require the $10 data package only the 3g multimedia phones such as alias 2, env touch, samsung rouge, and i think 2 more. so as for saying its demanded on all phones not true. and it will give you the option for either the $10 or the unlimited for $29.99.
    Yeah but at the moment those phones are basically crap...

Decided to hold off on the Env3. Not going to let VZW rush me into a decision with the price increase. Will research some other companies before committing for 2 more years, and if there are no better options hopefully by that point people will slow down buying the text phones and they'll offer some better "basic" phones.
    01-17-10 10:17 PM
    You are correct - with unlim though you would lose the employer discount. You must review to see which would actually be a better deal for you.

Yes, as long as the unlim pans have been around, they do not qualify for any discounts.
    Thanks LR, lastly I have to agree with you on networks.
    Today it rained in L.A. Yes really it did.
    The reason I am bringing this up is because I called a couple of people I know
    on AT&T and I got a message fro their phones that stated the caller is not taking anycalls. But with my g/f that wasn't the case, she also stated that her friend got the same message. I don't know how long it lasted because a few after I called we started texting.
    I bring that up because I have never encountered anything like that with VZ.
    A dropped call at a certain point during my commute, but nothing like I just stated. As long as I can afford VZ I will stay. Imo it's better to have an not need it. Than to need it and not have it............
    01-17-10 10:50 PM
    can't speculate anything. They can't say anything. Just have to wait and see
    Big Red is the best
    01-17-10 11:00 PM
    as soon as it is the 18th look on the site they will be posted or should be so I was told
    01-17-10 11:19 PM
    Well I'm on a family plan but if I were to start my own contract I would choose the least expensive/basic plan. I don't use anymore than 200 minutes on my phone on a monthly basis.

T-Mobile

If I were to purchase a smartphone on T-Mobile's EM500 Talk, it would cost me $65/month for 500 whenever minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited M2M, and unlimited data (which includes unlimited texting).

Verizon Wireless
    If I were to purchase a smartphone on Verizon's cheapest rate plan, which is the 450 minutes (unlimited texting included), it would cost me $90/month for 450 whenever minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited M2M, and unlimited data. Don't forget the $350 ETF for purchasing a smartphone.

Now I'm already aware that Verizon is the most reliable 3G network in the USA but I just wanted to make a point for people like myself who have just as good 3G coverage with T-Mobile as with Verizon. Even if Verizon gets LTE before T-Mobile, I can wait as long as I'm still getting reliable and fast data (T-Mobile has started upgrading their 3G to HSDPA).
    T-mobile works for u; and u can bet. If people start leaving VZ because of more competetive pricing they will eventually follow suit. If u can afford VZ u sign up; or stay if u can no longer afford them u look elsewhere........
    01-18-10 11:20 AM
    Also maybe if it plays out this way. If more and more people go to Android, with free navigation thru Googlle maps maybe this is a way for them to kinda recoup some of what they might loose when people no longer sign up for VZ Nav.
    Might be way off but a thought.
    01-18-10 11:25 AM
    crazy verizon, tmobile for life
    01-18-10 12:08 PM
    Well I'm on a family plan but if I were to start my own contract I would choose the least expensive/basic plan. I don't use anymore than 200 minutes on my phone on a monthly basis.

T-Mobile

If I were to purchase a smartphone on T-Mobile's EM500 Talk, it would cost me $65/month for 500 whenever minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited M2M, and unlimited data (which includes unlimited texting).

Verizon Wireless
    If I were to purchase a smartphone on Verizon's cheapest rate plan, which is the 450 minutes (unlimited texting included), it would cost me $90/month for 450 whenever minutes, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited M2M, and unlimited data. Don't forget the $350 ETF for purchasing a smartphone.

Now I'm already aware that Verizon is the most reliable 3G network in the USA but I just wanted to make a point for people like myself who have just as good 3G coverage with T-Mobile as with Verizon. Even if Verizon gets LTE before T-Mobile, I can wait as long as I'm still getting reliable and fast data (T-Mobile has started upgrading their 3G to HSDPA).

So I'd actually be saving $25/month for faster 3G. T-Mobile's coverage map shows that my entire state is covered with 3G (East Coast FTW) and I only travel out of state once a year so nationwide 3G coverage isn't a deal breaker for me.
    Don't take this as I'm trying to convince you to switch. I'm not.

I did EM+500 which is $39.99 for 500min, unl txt etc. Then the $30 data plan. For the same on Verizon it's $20 more.

If T-Mobile works for you, then thats good We can't have all the customers, the government doesnt like that.
    01-18-10 12:13 PM
    The new rates didn't help or hurt us. Still because in the last few months we've gone over our allotted minutes by about 30 minutes I felt compiled to upgrade to avoid over-charges. Now when I heard about the new rates I was hoping that I could down grade my plan and still make out a little on the money side. No joy So now I have a small problem, stay with the 1400 minutes or go back to 700 minutes and tell the wife not to talk so much with people who are not VZW customers.
    01-18-10 08:34 PM
    The new rates didn't help or hurt us. Still because in the last few months we've gone over our allotted minutes by about 30 minutes I felt compiled to upgrade to avoid over-charges. Now when I heard about the new rates I was hoping that I could down grade my plan and still make out a little on the money side. No joy So now I have a small problem, stay with the 1400 minutes or go back to 700 minutes and tell the wife not to talk so much with people who are not VZW customers.
    U should have the 10 friends correct?
    01-19-10 11:28 AM
    U should have the 10 friends correct?
    presently, yes, but only because we have 1400 minutes. Here is the kicker of the whole thing - you can't have 10 friends on the 700 minute plan and VZW knows this. I can guarantee if VZW had 10 friends on the 700 plan we won't be in this problem.
    Last edited by jrod3055; 01-19-10 at 12:00 PM.
    01-19-10 11:54 AM
    Silly question.......the new 3g phone data requirement would only apply for new phone/line purchases or new accounts, right?

So my daughter's Env3 stays on our current plan...our plan doesn't change.....right?

And I thought I remember seing something way back that it was all based on when the phone was first released...............
    Last edited by jlb21; 01-20-10 at 08:45 AM.
    01-20-10 08:33 AM
    presently, yes, but only because we have 1400 minutes. Here is the kicker of the whole thing - you can't have 10 friends on the 700 minute plan and VZW knows this. I can guarantee if VZW had 10 friends on the 700 plan we won't be in this problem.
    Stay on the 1400 if u can bear it, also once u go to the new pricing tier after 30days on it u cannot switch back. The new price plans are for new customers.
    Let me say this again, exisiting customers can stay within, and move within the old pricing structure. See what benefits u the most before moving to the new pricing tier............
    01-20-10 09:06 AM
    So, for new customers. Would it apply to new phones for existing customers? My wife has a decent dumb phone. If she upgrades to an Env3 on her existing line/plan, would that still be exempt from the data requirement?

I would assume yes, but want to be sure.
    01-20-10 09:12 AM
    So, for new customers. Would it apply to new phones for existing customers? My wife has a decent dumb phone. If she upgrades to an Env3 on her existing line/plan, would that still be exempt from the data requirement?

U know that I am not sure I would assume it might be the case if she were to switch to an EnV3 the new charges might apply. But call c/s and ask to make sure an run them thru the questions. Heck I spoke with a rep that monday and he informed me about existing customers being able to stay on the old tier pricing. But yesterday I called to ask some questions, getting a different rep of course going over pricing again. Of course that rep said nothing about me being able to stay within the old pricing tier.
    But like I said call c/s and ask, an don't let them slide u into something u don't want. For me as it stands I have 5 lines.
    If I were to go to unlimited with the 5 lines first two being 149 I believe and 49 for each addtitional. So in my reasoning It would be more beneficial to go to 4000.
    Hope this helps a little
    01-20-10 09:21 AM

Yes, for upgrades the data plan is required. The only people exempt, are those that had the phone before the change went through.
    01-20-10 09:23 AM
    Ah. Ok. So I guess for now my wife will stick with her dumb phone.

I thought it would be nice to upgrade her as she is up for her NE2, but unless there is a better dumb phone for her, she will likely stay until the time comes we consider taking on another BB data plan for her. Not there yet, but you never know.
    01-20-10 09:36 AM
    Ah. Ok. So I guess for now my wife will stick with her dumb phone.

I thought it would be nice to upgrade her as she is up for her NE2, but unless there is a better dumb phone for her, she will likely stay until the time comes we consider taking on another BB data plan for her. Not there yet, but you never know.
    This one looks good if she wants a phone that has music capabilities,
    it also looks like it has a nice keypad for texting......

Verizon Wireless Razzle�

If she drives a lot spoil her and get her an Eris, Android.
    Yes it's 29 extra a month, but u get free navigation turn by turn with google maps
    01-20-10 09:53 AM
    This one looks good if she wants a phone that has music capabilities,
    it also looks like it has a nice keypad for texting......

Verizon Wireless Razzle�

If she drives a lot spoil her and get her an Eris, Android.
    Yes it's 29 extra a month, but u get free navigation turn by turn with google maps
    I asked her over the weekend if she wanted to upgrade and she said no, not right now.

If anything, I could see her possibly with a BB for her antiques business, but not until she feels she is ready.

Thanks for the idea!
    01-20-10 10:08 AM
    I asked her over the weekend if she wanted to upgrade and she said no, not right now.

If anything, I could see her possibly with a BB for her antiques business, but not until she feels she is ready.

Thanks for the idea!
    Yeah just wait til she is ready..........
    01-20-10 10:11 AM
    Silly question.......the new 3g phone data requirement would only apply for new phone/line purchases or new accounts, right?

So my daughter's Env3 stays on our current plan...our plan doesn't change.....right?

And I thought I remember seing something way back that it was all based on when the phone was first released...............
    Correct. Only 3G phones purchased after 1/18 require it.
    01-20-10 01:25 PM
    I agree with the OP here. At best, VZW is playing a shell game with monthly RR. I went to the unlimited plan and lost my bundled BES on my old plan. I also lost my corp discount on the $69.

I decided to revert back to my old plan and was told it was retired and no longer available. So yea, I got unlimited minutes but end up with a 10% increase in bill. And I get dinged again for limited SMS. Guess I am just a dumb sucker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by cgull; 01-31-10 at 10:44 AM.
    01-31-10 06:45 AM
    yeah, I don't think the unlimited minute plans have ever been eligible for a corporate discount. And to the person that said at&t was going to be next, you were correct but they seemingly got it right. They now require $20 min in options on their "quick messaging phone" but text packages are included in that.

AT&T's messaging plan requirement on 'quick messaging' handsets slipped in with unlimited voice launch -- Engadget Mobile)
    01-31-10 09:50 AM
    I agree with the OP here. At best, VZW is playing a shell game with monthly RR. I went to the unlimited plan and lost my bundled BES on my old plan. I also lost my corp discount on the $69.

I decided to revert back to my old plan and was told it was retired and no longer available. So yea, I got unlimited minutes but end up with a 10% increase in bill. And I get dinged again for limited SMS. Guess I am just a dumb sucker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'm staying at my 3000min plan...................
    with my discount 179 with 9.99 for each additional line.
    that gives me 10 friends. I may probably leave it at that
    period.
    01-31-10 12:18 PM
134 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD