There has been talk of a new o/s for metro bb plus a network upgrade to 4g,I've talked to a metro employe on two ocassions and he tells me the same thing. This will all come round decemeber ,and remains to be seen. My question is this. If metro does move uo to 4g will it improve overall wireless conections or will it only affect 4g enabled devices? For that matter is the current bb on metro 4g capable? Thank you for your time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 05:15 PM
    First of all, the LTE (4g) network is NOT coming in December - Last I heard it was slated to begin roll-out by "end of 2010" - It could be sooner, but December would be a miracle. Second, the 8330m does not include LTE hardware, so even if you are in an LTE area you would not be able to connect at 4g speeds. I am afraid that you are connecting as fast right now as you ever will with your MPCS BB 8330m :-(

As for the new OS, I have my doubts whether it will be specifically released for Metro - Specifically (nd I just checked this) RIM doesn't even list Metro as a carrier in the software download section. So, probably our only hope of getting OS 5 for our 8330m is if it is released on another carrier, deleting the vendor xml and then installing - the exact steps are available elsewhere on this site. Don't worry though, I have used the same means to update my device recently and there are no problems.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by johnpmorton; 10-28-09 at 03:08 AM.
    10-28-09 03:02 AM
    Do different providers have different features in their o/s. Or are the o/s all the same. Becouse I hear people asking the question "who's o/s should I download" as if one providers o/s has better stuff than the other.

10-28-09 11:58 AM
    John there is something I've been wondering about for a while that maybe you can clear up. Did bb on older o/s not have full web browser capabilities till their o/s upgrades?

10-28-09 12:49 PM
    [QUOTE=jasonriot;3938447]Do different providers have different features in their o/s. Or are the o/s all the same. Becouse I hear people asking the question "who's o/s should I download" as if one providers o/s has better stuff than the other.

The OS is the OS, sort of like Windows - once you take out the vendor xml, you have just the basic items common to a given release of the BB OS - I think perhaps the "whose should I install?" has more to do with version than anything.
    10-28-09 12:57 PM
    John there is something I've been wondering about for a while that maybe you can clear up. Did bb on older o/s not have full web browser capabilities till their o/s upgrades?

Not sure I understand the question - but, in my opinion the BB Browser has stunk, stinks, and will continue to stink until they replace it with something new - That something new will likely be a new BB Browser built on the Iris Browser technology. Until then use Bolt, it-is-awesome!
    10-28-09 01:00 PM
    My bolt always gets stuck at twenty percent while trying to load you tube vids though.plus it rebufer frequently.

10-28-09 01:33 PM
    I mean stuff like being able to watch and listen to streaming content. Were earlier os not capable of such until their upgrades?
    Not sure I understand the question - but, in my opinion the BB Browser has stunk, stinks, and will continue to stink until they replace it with something new - That something new will likely be a new BB Browser built on the Iris Browser technology. Until then use Bolt, it-is-awesome!
    10-28-09 01:39 PM
    John have you tried the latest os update by sprint. And used it on your metropcs bb? Because I'm wondering if browsing speeds pick up with it.

11-08-09 05:51 PM
    OS upgrades of the type that go from 4.5.xx to 4.5.yy tend to not add major features in my experience, I dare say that I have seen little to no improvement while doing this sort of upgrade - and, I am not aware that the browser software is any different in the Sprint version - The major upgrade will come when 5.xx.xx becomes available for the 8330m (or should I say IF?) anyway, the only major improvement in browsing I have seen is the Bolt Browser - However, if you feel ready to do an OS upgrade, it is great practice, just remember if you brick your phone it won't be cheap to replace it, and I suspect you will invalidate your warranty.
    11-09-09 12:38 PM
    what is it that the 5.0 os is supposed to have that previous versions haven't been able to do?

11-09-09 12:57 PM
    So can the 8330 have LTE or they are going to have to come out wit a new blackberry? Or at least a new os system and around wat day?

02-07-10 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD