Can anyone confirm if newer manufactured tours have trackball problems or not? I played with a tour in the store and the trackball was horrendous.

Any information is appreciated.

Also, will OS 5.0 be released soon for tour?
    12-21-09 10:10 AM
    I've had the Tour since October and experienced minimal problems with the trackball. A couple of times, it jammed up for a few minutes, but it was easily fixed by rapidly spinning the ball. Nothing like the horrific trackball problems that had been reported early on. So, to answer your question: no, for the most part they seem to have fixed the Tour trackball problem. Now it's on par - as far as trackball problems - with the other Blackberries.

With that said, I would try to hold out a little bit. The next tour is going to have a trackpad, which after having played with, I like a lot more than the trackball. Or if you can't wait, get the new Curve. It's got a trackpad and it's a pretty nifty phone.
    12-21-09 10:42 AM
    I've had my tour since the last week in august and have had absolutely no track ball problems. I thought I would want a track pad until my wife got her 8530...and now I'm not sure. she likes the track pad, but this is her first bb and had no experience with the ball. I believe I have "finer adjustment" capabilities using the track ball and have trouble "over-shooting" with the pad.
    Last edited by mr. mister; 12-21-09 at 10:59 AM.
    12-21-09 10:56 AM
    It's true. My most recent Tour was built in September and not only are the trackball problems fixed, but the batter door and "screen flicker" issues are fixed as well.
    12-21-09 11:01 AM
    Being a tour owner 3 times ive finally got one with no trackball issues
    12-21-09 11:08 AM
    is there a specific date i should look for tours manufactured after the date to be much more unlikely to have problems?

thanks
    12-21-09 11:43 AM
    Actually; it's not true that "Newly Manufactured Tours" automatically means no trackball issues; or even minimal trackball issues.

The mechanism is still the same; the trackball is still a moving part that acts up if certain amounts of oil, dirt, lint, dust, etc. gets into it. The point is that whether you have had a Tour from day one; or got a 'green dot', 'refurbed' or 'newly manufactured one'...the mechanism of the trackball and the potential problems are still the same.
    12-21-09 01:41 PM
    i thought RIM acknowledged a manufacturing problem with it?
    12-21-09 01:47 PM
    i thought RIM acknowledged a manufacturing problem with it?
    They did, but trackballs have the inherent ability to get stuck and fail anyways.

The Tour even more so due to some design differences compared to other trackball BB's.
    12-21-09 01:51 PM
    The Tour will always have a flawed trackball design. Either swap the ball for one of the better designs from a Curve or 8830, or wait for the vastly superior Tour 2.
    12-22-09 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD