i herd on the news today that if you were thinking about getting a new phone you might want to hold out till june b/c thats when all the new phones were coming out which include the new iphone and new blackberrys. is there any chance that vzw would completely undermine the curve and release a newer blackberry next month????
    05-14-08 12:43 PM
    Why would it be "undermine", why couldn't it be view as "given more options"
    Rim is the one who choose when to release the phones, then the Carriers test them and make it available to the buying public.
    05-14-08 01:18 PM
    Still no answer to my question and I misspelled heard. Man I can't wait till the new os comes out with spell checker

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-08 03:35 PM
    My understanding is that Verizon won't have their GSM overlay finished until the end of the year, which is when they'll have a slew of new phones and will activate ones they didn't sell. Maybe they're ahead of schedule, maybe they're gonna roll it out with the network incomplete, or maybe your local news was incorrect.

Anyway, the Bold is GSM-only, so if your news is correct and they're firing up the GSM network next month, then ya, you could just by an unlocked one and activate it. Or they might sell it themselves relatively quickly, who knows.
    05-14-08 03:55 PM
    Verizon is not ever making a GSM overlay. Ever.

05-14-08 04:19 PM
    I believe the new LTE standard (4G) that Verizon is already working on combines CDMA and GSM technology, if you'd call that an overlay. Regardless, if AT&T and T-Mobile don't hurry up, Verizon's gonna have 4G nationwide before the others have 3G nationwide (not really but AT&T and T-Mo are way behind).
    05-14-08 04:22 PM
    I just want a Curve. I can wait for anything else. I just really want a Curve.

05-14-08 04:32 PM
    My understanding is that Verizon won't have their GSM overlay finished until the end of the year, which is when they'll have a slew of new phones and will activate ones they didn't sell. Maybe they're ahead of schedule, maybe they're gonna roll it out with the network incomplete, or maybe your local news was incorrect.

Anyway, the Bold is GSM-only, so if your news is correct and they're firing up the GSM network next month, then ya, you could just by an unlocked one and activate it. Or they might sell it themselves relatively quickly, who knows.
    Looking at recent news, Verizon may have part of LTE GSM in place by the end of 2008. They are supposed to start trials this year. Seeing as how they just won a chunk of spectrum for the bands where analog tv currently exists, I don't see LTE being operational before Feb of 2009, when the analog tv signals are shutoff. More than likely, it will last til 2010 before LTE is fully functional, and Verizon begins selling GSM phones, or CMDA/GSm combi phones.
    05-14-08 05:13 PM
    I just want a Curve. I can wait for anything else. I just really want a Curve.

Well go get one man! I've had mine for almost a week now. It's the best phone I've ever owned.
    05-14-08 07:01 PM
    LTE is NOT NOT NOT GSM. What is it going to take for people to understand that? Verizon already sells cdma/gsm hybrid phones for use outside the US.

05-14-08 10:46 PM
    Right, I got my terminology wrong, but the bottom line is that you will be able to use a GSM or CDMA phone on their network. When remains to be seen but I was told by the end of 2008. That's Verizon time though, which probably means 2009.
    05-15-08 01:28 AM
    No you will not be able to use gsm phones. They will have a cdma network and an lte network. The only association lte has with either cdma or gsm is the fact that carriers with those systems will be changing to lte.

05-15-08 08:05 AM
    Where you getting your info from? I was told GSM would be available by 2 different Verizon reps, one in sales and one in technical support. Not that they're the fountain of all truth but...

So both the GSM and CDMA carriers are switching to LTE, eh? I'm googling around for info on it and most of it is contradictory and out of date, but I did find a relatively new item that says it's backwards-compatible with current GSM phones:

Verizon going 4G LTE (GSM) starting in 2008 and what it means for you - TECH.BLORGE.com

What do you think?
    05-15-08 12:00 PM
    Vatothe0

LTE is the successor to GSM 3G. Verizon chose not to go with WiMax for its 4g upgrade which is the CDMA successor to EVDO. Verizon will roll out its 4G platform on the 700 MHZ spectrum that they and AT&T just won in the FCC auction. Also, Verizon has a partnership with Votofone which is a GSM carrier, and Qualcom which controls all the chip technology for CDMA has everyone over a barrel, so Verizon has reason to make the switch.
    05-28-08 08:42 PM
    LTE is not GSM 4g. A lot of gsm carriers have chosen LTE but it is not 4g GSM.

05-28-08 09:29 PM
    LTE is not GSM 4g. A lot of gsm carriers have chosen LTE but it is not 4g GSM.

I understand that, but is it or is it not backwardly compatible with current GSM devices? Some sources say it is, some say it isn't, but most things I've read is that it will be.

I've also been told by 'people in the know' that it's going to be an "overlay" system on top of their current CDMA system. Supposedly they're going to add new antennae etc. to their current sites and keep both types of networks available for some time as part of their "activate anything" strategy that's in the works.

It also seems to fit with the upcoming, exclusive to Verizon and Vodaphone, BlackBerry Thunder, which will be available before either carrier's LTE rollout is complete. That phone will have to either do GSM+CDMA to work on both networks now, or CDMA+reverse compatibility with GSM via LTE (or do all 3 if they aren't) so it isn't a brick when LTE is online.

If Verizon's plans for LTE don't include compatibility with current GSM devices, I don't see how they can do either of these things. But they are doing it, so...what's the deal? How are they gonna pull off "activate anything" plus an exclusive to GSM/CDMA BlackBerry by the end of the year if what I'm saying isn't true?

Of course there's the possibility that Verizon and Vodaphone and RIM have agreed to do a Euro-only GSM + CDMA Thunder (like the 8830 World Phone) that won't work with LTE, but I'm having trouble getting my head around them going to all that trouble when the LTE rollout is relatively close by the time the Thunder hits the market.
    05-30-08 03:10 AM
    LTE is going to run on the new 700mhz band.

I would suggest reading how the "any app, any device" actually works. It is not "activate anything".

05-30-08 09:34 AM
    LTE is going to run on the new 700mhz band.

I would suggest reading how the "any app, any device" actually works. It is not "activate anything".

Right, it has to be on their "approved" list. But I've also read that the iPhone and many other 850/950mHz GSM devices are expected meet their specifications, even though they aren't 700mHz LTE.

So what's the deal - are they also rolling out a North American GSM network in addition or as an interim thing?

Or is that BS and the only non-Verizon devices you'll be able to activate are basically just CDMA phones (ie Sprint).
    05-30-08 07:26 PM
    Well here's a link to some coverage by PCMag.
    Verizon Explains New Open Device Policy - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    They specifically call out that the devices must be CDMA.
    05-31-08 01:42 AM
    Well here's a link to some coverage by PCMag.
    Verizon Explains New Open Device Policy - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    They specifically call out that the devices must be CDMA.
    Thank you, that explains it well enough. It should be mandatory reading for every Verizon sales rep and tech support employee. I trust PC Mag more than I trust Verizon for information about...Verizon.

You'd think a communications company would be better at communicating with themselves. Ironic, no?
    05-31-08 02:08 PM
    Oh ya, and apparently the Thunder will have to be CDMA for Verizon and GSM for Vodaphone and presumably work like the 8830 World Phone does (no GSM in the US).

Strange that RIM would sign off on making their first touchscreen device exclusive to Verizon though...must have been some BIG bucks involved in that deal (Verizon -> RIM).
    05-31-08 02:16 PM
    Thank you, that explains it well enough. It should be mandatory reading for every Verizon sales rep and tech support employee. I trust PC Mag more than I trust Verizon for information about...Verizon.

You'd think a communications company would be better at communicating with themselves. Ironic, no?
    Why would a sales rep or tech support rep ever need to know about open development? The whole point is that it has little to nothing to do with VZW sales and tech support.
    05-31-08 02:41 PM
    Well go get one man! I've had mine for almost a week now. It's the best phone I've ever owned.

Totally wish I could. First, I am 15, and not a chance is my Dad going to let me get a new phone. Second, not a chance can I afford a $500 phone. I will get there! Maybe I will be up for my NE2 when the Bold is released.
    05-31-08 07:50 PM
    Why would a sales rep or tech support rep ever need to know about open development? The whole point is that it has little to nothing to do with VZW sales and tech support.
    Sure it does. People constantly ask them about upcoming products and services so they should be well versed on what the publicly known facts are to provide an accurate answer.

Of course, a lack of product knowledge among employees isn't unique to Verizon or any other industry, but some companies have a better handle on it than others and Verizon isn't one of them.
    06-01-08 05:28 PM
    It's not publicly known information though.

The only people with the actual specs are developers. Tech reporters went to the conference but that doesn't make it "public".

06-01-08 05:32 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD