The reason RIM probably releases to GSM first is probably the fact that most of the world uses GSM. CDMA is very limited, mainly to North America, thus why the creation of "world phones" was necessary. Why would a company develop for CDMA first, when they can market a phone to more companies worldwide with GSM?

Sure the storm is the exception, but that's its own case....
    10-25-08 11:23 PM
    What is the big deal between embedding GSM into a BB vs. CDMA into a BB? Isn't it just a communications chipset or something?

Why would it take longer for RIM to build CDMA BB's for Verizon/Sprint over GSM BB's for AT&T?

Or is RIM taking favoritism to AT&T since they have (or had) the most subscribers in the country. Now Verizon does with the purchase of T-Mobile, even though it seems they are keeping T-Mobile a separate entity which is good for business.
    10-25-08 11:58 PM
    What is the big deal between embedding GSM into a BB vs. CDMA into a BB? Isn't it just a communications chipset or something?

Why would it take longer for RIM to build CDMA BB's for Verizon/Sprint over GSM BB's for AT&T?

Or is RIM taking favoritism to AT&T since they have (or had) the most subscribers in the country. Now Verizon does with the purchase of T-Mobile, even though it seems they are keeping T-Mobile a separate entity which is good for business.
    Verizon bought T-Mobile? since when? did you mean Alltell?

And from what I've seen, there are different types of OS's for both CDMA and GSM...i.e., you can't use an AT&T os on a Verizon 'berry, and vice versa.
    10-26-08 12:16 AM
    From what I understand, the difference between GSM and CDMA, is not as simple as just a simple chip-swap. The entire chipset needs to be replaced. On some (smart)phones, GSM and CDMA phones have totally different processors (Arm7 vs Arm9, or other IntelXScale), the radio's are different, etc. This also encompasses having to re-write a large chunk of the software. Furthermore, as someone has explained, CDMA is limited to about 470Mil users....about 145Mil in North America, 55.5Mil in South America and the Carribean, 23Mil in Europe, Africa and Russia, and 240Mil in Asia, versus close to 1.8Bil in the rest of the world. CDMA is not old technology, it has its benefits, as does GSM. I think RIM just looks at their largest market, and tenders to it, just like any corporation would, but realizing that 470Mil CDMA users is nothing to scuff at, the re-vamp their phones for them as well. It's all about DEMAND and then SUPPLY (kinda backwards, but you get the drift). Sprint and Verizon are working on opening much faster networks (such as WiMax), so don't count CDMA out yet, or anywhere in the near future. I'm sure that with the new Simply Everything Plan, RIM will realize that Sprint would be a gold mine for them, and hopefully start releasing GSM and CDMA phones in tandem, rather than wait.
    10-26-08 11:32 AM
    Verizon bought T-Mobile? since when? did you mean Alltell?
    Opps yeah, haha, I did mean Alltel. Small brain fart, I knew it just got it mixed up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-08 02:33 PM
    I agree with tdetroit about the Simply Everything plan now. These 3 SE plans really give Sprint and edge in the market now. I don't think its getting enough attention in the industry and should be marketed more heavily. But it gives Sprint more credit in they should get RIM's phones earlier than they have in the past because of the SE plans. In generala Sprint should be more attractive in the smartphone/PDA market to phone makers.

I'd be curious to see stats on how many Sprint subs have the SE plan (any of the 3).

10-26-08 02:39 PM
    I agree with tdetroit about the Simply Everything plan now. These 3 SE plans really give Sprint and edge in the market now. I don't think its getting enough attention in the industry and should be marketed more heavily. But it gives Sprint more credit in they should get RIM's phones earlier than they have in the past because of the SE plans. In generala Sprint should be more attractive in the smartphone/PDA market to phone makers.

I'd be curious to see stats on how many Sprint subs have the SE plan (any of the 3).

I have three lines with Sprint, all three are smartphones...BB 8330, BB 8830WE, MotorolaQ9c, and all three have the simply everything plan.
    10-26-08 04:01 PM
    I have the SEP, wouldn't have it any other way. Thousands of text messages every month, bucket full of internet usage and approaching 1000 minutes of talk time and rising. Can't wait to get my sprint bill of the future with like 50,000 minutes or something. Nothing like getting your monies worth
    10-26-08 06:57 PM
    I have the SEP, wouldn't have it any other way. Thousands of text messages every month, bucket full of internet usage and approaching 1000 minutes of talk time and rising. Can't wait to get my sprint bill of the future with like 50,000 minutes or something. Nothing like getting your monies worth
    Yeah!! That's what I'm talking about, it's gotta be the BEST value in the market! Not even AT&T can touch the SE plans!! If you wanted a BB on AT&T and equal to any of the SE plans, you're looking at $30-$50 or more a month!
    10-27-08 12:43 AM
    Nothing but me finding a new service provider

This. I'm between jobs right now so dropping my current plan and going elsewhere is more or less out of the question, but once I start the new gig....I'll be using my Sprint 8830 as a paperweight and snagging a newer model from another provider (Verizon or ATT). Between frustrating CS and the fact we get BB toys months after other providers, I'm of the opinion that Sprint just isn't for me.
    10-28-08 01:45 PM
    I was in a Sprint store and they told me 6 months after Verizon launches the Storm Sprint will get it. I just love the rumors and only time will tell with who actually gets what.
    10-29-08 11:24 AM
    It's called telling the customer what they want to hear to keep them.
    10-29-08 01:08 PM
    So what does that mean for the BB Bold and sprint?
    10-29-08 04:03 PM
    Usually the companies (Sprint and Verizon) flip flop as to whom is getting what phone first. At least it has been that way with Treos's. Sprint will get the newest phone this product and Verizon will get the next product/phone first next time. And they usually come to the other carrier 3 to 6 months after the other carrier as introduced the phone. So the people in CS or at the Sprint store are probably telling the truth.

I am Treo 755p user and never wanted a BB until I saw and read about the BB Storm. I was at one point 50/50 bewteen getting the Treo Pro (or 850e for Sprint) or the BB Storm. I am heavily leaning toward the Storm. Upon closer inspection the Treo Pro looks more like the Centro which I never liked. I am look forward to getting the BB Storm. I wish Sprint has gotten this one first.

And you can't beat the SE data plan. With other networks you are paying about $50 more a month for the same similar plan.
    10-31-08 09:56 AM
    Does anyone know the Storm release date for Verizon? That will give us an idea when it may be released by Sprint.
    10-31-08 10:00 AM
    Does anyone know the Storm release date for Verizon? That will give us an idea when it may be released by Sprint.
    Until Verizon doesn't make it's sales quotas, the storm will not be coming out for Sprint. Period. End. It is a Verizon exclusive at this point.
    10-31-08 11:13 AM
    Until Verizon doesn't make it's sales quotas, the storm will not be coming out for Sprint. Period. End. It is a Verizon exclusive at this point.
    Not saying you are incorrect, but that doesn't sound right. I know that usually in different phones Sprint will come out with it first then Verizon and vice versa. Usually whoever comes out with it second will have it 3 to 6 months after it comes out with its competor. Can' see this beinga Verizon exclusive. BB makes more sales opening it up for all cell companies instead of just one. That's just IMO.
    11-13-08 09:08 AM
    Not saying you are incorrect, but that doesn't sound right. I know that usually in different phones Sprint will come out with it first then Verizon and vice versa. Usually whoever comes out with it second will have it 3 to 6 months after it comes out with its competor. Can' see this beinga Verizon exclusive. BB makes more sales opening it up for all cell companies instead of just one. That's just IMO.
    Ummm....I think you quoted the wrong post.....
    11-13-08 12:51 PM
    niubeav is correct. Verizon has exclusive rights to sell this Storm. However, if they don't make a certain quota in a year, RIM will release it to who they want to. Also, RIM reserves the right to analyze "projected" sales quotas and have it released earlier if Horrizon should not be projected to make said quota.

Either way, i'm pretty pissed of that Sprint won't have the Bold, Javelin or Storm.
    11-13-08 01:48 PM
    Release date for Verizon is 11/21.
    11-13-08 06:50 PM
    when it comes to new phones for sprint....they r not up to par
    11-14-08 04:19 AM
    I heard from a Rep. too that the Storm will come out sometime next year- 6mts after Verizon did its deed with it. I don't want a touch screen... give me the BOLD or something better through Sprint. I'm upgrading one more time and thats it... until it cracks and can't be put together anymore.
    11-14-08 10:56 PM
    I heard from a Rep. too that the Storm will come out sometime next year- 6mts after Verizon did its deed with it. I don't want a touch screen... give me the BOLD or something better through Sprint. I'm upgrading one more time and thats it... until it cracks and can't be put together anymore.
    What you heard is exactly what your username states...a rumor. As it stands, Storm is a VZW exclusive. Period. End.
    11-14-08 11:31 PM
    Welcome to crackberry Eva and welcome to the Sprint forum. hope you enjoy your time spent here.
    12-01-09 10:13 AM
    hopefully sprint gets the storm
    12-01-09 04:34 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD