My brother and his wife want to leave Nextel and come over to Verizon. They both have dumbphones now, but want touchscreen devices. My brother likes the Storm2 which is currently $179 with BOGO, but we have doubts whether his wife will actually use the web and email enough to justify locking her phone into a 2 yr. $29.99 BB data plan if she also gets the Storm. We are considering the Storm 2 for him and maybe the EnV Touch for her, (which I understand can have limited web and email at $9.99 for 25mb per month).

My questions:
    1. Does anyone have an opinion about the EnV Touch? Is it a decent device for someone just moving into smartphone territory?
    2. Are there any other suggestions for a better device w/o the cost of the full web/email package?
    3. Just how much web and email do you get for 25mb per month?

Thanks in advance
    Rich
    Last edited by richs10; 12-11-09 at 07:17 AM.
    12-11-09 07:08 AM
    Can you get a dumbphone on the BOGO deal?

To answer your questions.....
    1. The EnV touch seems to be good. 2. I would also consider the samsung rouge but it requires a data plan, just not as much as a berry.
    3. 25 mb will get you approximately 7373 emails, 175 web pages, or 60 VCast
    music downloads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-09 08:16 AM
    Can you get a dumbphone on the BOGO deal?

To answer your questions.....
    1. The EnV touch seems to be good. 2. I would also consider the samsung rouge but it requires a data plan, just not as much as a berry.
    3. 25 mb will get you approximately 7373 emails, 175 web pages, or 60 VCast
    music downloads.

According to the saleman at the corporate store last night, using BOGO for a Storm2/EnV combo was not a problem.

Thanks for the mb info. That's what I was looking for. BTW, I think both the EnV and the Rouge are in the same catagory re: data plans. You cannot get an unlimited web/email plan like a BB ($29.99pm) but instead, you must pick either a 50mb or 25 mb monthly web/email plan for $19.99 or $9.99. Am I correct on this?
    12-11-09 09:33 AM
    VCast music downloads do not affect your MB allowance.

12-11-09 09:36 AM
    9.99 = 25 mbs
    19.99 = 75 mbs
    And the data plan for the Touch/Rouge does not include he mobile e-mail, that's an additional 5.00
    12-11-09 10:03 AM
    supermario28:
    You are correct....it is 75mb rather than 50mb. But the description for the 25mb $9.99 data package on the Verizon site specifically says you can "check your email" as part of the data plan. When I go through the plan selection process, there is no option for an additional $5.00 charge for email. Are you sure about this additional charge? This is important if you are correct. Where did you see this?

Thanks,
    Rich
    12-11-09 11:33 AM
    That can be misleading, you can check your email, it doesn't state that it's provided. Let me get the infro from our site about the e-mail.....
    12-11-09 12:33 PM
    Even our internal information states "can check e-mail" but that does not mean its included, your best bet might be getting on a Connect plan, with your wife as a primary, so she can have data and e-mail. and you can be a secondary with the BB data plan.
    12-11-09 01:12 PM
    The 5.00 is for the mobile email application that syncs your email to your phone. Otherwise, you can check your email from the website.

12-11-09 01:22 PM
    The 5.00 is for the mobile email application that syncs your email to your phone. Otherwise, you can check your email from the website.

Ok, that clears everything up and I now understand what you were saying, supermario. But I think VZW needs to be more descriptive about this in the explanation they currently have on the website.

I spoke with a Verizon rep before doing the deal for my brother. The $9.99 25mb data plan will cover checking your mail by using the browser to go to the email gateway on the web (aol.com, google.com, yahoo.com, etc) but no direct push, like on a BB. He also said once you have set up the EnV Touch, you can choose to add the $5.00 per mo service to sync your mail to your phone. (and I am assuming this is still not going to be as good as the BB Push service). The Rep also told me that we can choose to set up "alerts" each time an email comes in from one of these accounts, but the alerts are sent by Text Messages, so you would need a text message plan to cover the costs of the texts.

Thanks all for your help. My brother and his wife are going with the two EnV Touches for a $99.00 BOGO (plus he and I will each get a $25.00 gift card for my referral since I'm already a Verizon customer). Since they are not really into a lot of emailing or texting at this point, I think it will be a good fit for them.

With Nexel, they have been paying over $150.00 per mo for 2 basic cell phones. Their VZW bill will now be $105 plus tax for more minutes, data and much more advanced devices. A good deal for them. BTW, during the online purchase, he had to call Nextel for his account number so we could port their numbers to Verizon. He avoided telling the Nextel rep why he needed it, but she immediately knew what was happening and tried very hard to renegotiate his ludicrously expensive plan with him. At this point he's a bit pissed that they have been charging him so much for so many years, and held his ground. I just hope we don't have a problem with the number portage when we activate these phones on Christmas morning.

Again, thanks to everyone for your help on this!
    Happy Holidays!
    Rich
    12-12-09 11:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD