About a month ago, the trackball on my Tour wouldn't scroll down. I got it unstuck by pushing down on the ball with quite a bit of pressure while grinding. No success at unsticking the roller at first but after a few grinds, managed to get the down-scroll going again.

Anyway, I've been getting giving it some thought lately and was contemplating taking it back to the Telus store. The ball is problem-free at the moment but who's to say the rollers won't crap out again. Problem is, since I fixed it myself, will the rep at the Telus store authorize a repair only if they can duplicate the problem? Methinks I should have left the ball 'broken'.

I also have a screen shimmer on the two lower corners when I press the talk and end keys, and noticed that the battery door has become loose.

The Tour I got is one of the launch models that were prone to the quality issues and while it has served me well with mostly non-issues, it's making me wonder if I'm just biding time for the inevitable.

Insight greatly appreciated before I head back to the place I bought my BB.
    12-21-09 07:18 PM
    I tried to return my Curve a while back when the trackball got un-fixabbly (yes, invented a new word there) stuck, I said I wanted it to be repaired/replaced, and all they did was take it in the back, pop out the trackball and clean it. So not sure how much luck you'd have with requesting a repair / swap.
    12-21-09 08:02 PM
    I tried to return my Curve a while back when the trackball got un-fixabbly (yes, invented a new word there) stuck, I said I wanted it to be repaired/replaced, and all they did was take it in the back, pop out the trackball and clean it. So not sure how much luck you'd have with requesting a repair / swap.
    The Tour trackball does not pop out the same way. I've taken apart and put back together multiple 8330's, and the Tour is a different animal completely. I don't think there is any Telus store that will attempt to remove a Tour trackball in-store.

@OP: go take it back ASAP! I kept my original-release Tour until about 2-3 weeks ago with a Trackball that just got worse and worse. I'm a clean freak and I even got some alcohol wipes to clean the trackball, but all to no avail.

Save yourself the frustration and just go exchange it. If it works the same way as mine did, the rep ordered the replacement as they were not allowed to take warranty replacements out of their retail stock. I kept my Tour until the replacement showed up almost 2 weeks later, then swapped.
    12-23-09 05:20 AM
    ^^ You're right its much more difficult to get to the tour's trackball than the curve but that does not mean it can't be done. I got tired of it's issues and replaced one myself when I had my tour. Cost about $10 and worked like a champ when done. There was a video somewhere on youtube that walked you through step by step how to take out the track ball the only issue would be if you're willing to open it up and void the warranty. I didn't want to deal with all the returning and phone swapping when I knew what the problem was and could fix it myself.
    12-23-09 12:49 PM
    Exchange that bad boy! I had 2 early release Tour's as well and the trackball sucked alot, but on this 3rd Tour I think they finally got it right. I Ddunno if I'm the only one but I swear the keyboard is also different, it just feels different, visually its also more a matte color whereas the early release Tour's were a shiny color. HMMMM
    12-24-09 10:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD